Sign in to follow this  
nochain09

Alan Bowkett steps down

We have moved forward not backwards since he came in. Things might not look great at the moment but he has helped move us forward and I will always be great full for that.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Was this the guy who said Paul Lambert was the most demanding person he had ever met!!

That was why he was so successful here. Who would want a manager who was not demanding of his players, his staff, and the board.

So you think that SAF was not demanding?What want did they want a yes man....bet they had one with Gunn, and look how that turned out![/quote]
What he actually said Bradwell was that Lambert was the most impatient man he''d ever met. If you want to throw mud on the basis of a quote from someone, it helps to get the quote right .......

ricardo wrote the following post at 07/12/2015 10:07 PM:

Gunthorpe wrote:

Vermin read exactly what the fool Purple said its you who talking bollox for siding with him

I''m afraid its you who have it wrong, there is a substantial sum available for transfers as you will shortly find out.

Hi Ricardo I can understand why you and the rest of your clan crowd round and support Purple when he starts pontificating - after all you think you control this board with your constant rambling meaningless banter - attempting to ridicule anyone who does not follow your party line

The point is, while most of us do not doubt there are substantial funds available to spend in January (we spent little in the summer ) - how on earth can you justify Purples redicluouse statement that there is not a need for extra money in Jan as we already have a lot

But then you just have ???????????

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="Bradwell canary"]Was this the guy who said Paul Lambert was the most demanding person he had ever met!!

That was why he was so successful here. Who would want a manager who was not demanding of his players, his staff, and the board.

So you think that SAF was not demanding?What want did they want a yes man....bet they had one with Gunn, and look how that turned out![/quote]
What he actually said Bradwell was that Lambert was the most impatient man he''d ever met. If you want to throw mud on the basis of a quote from someone, it helps to get the quote right .......
[/quote]The full quote is actually - “Paul did an amazing job for us…but with Paul you get a package. You get

an outstanding football manager, but he is ruthlessly ambitious and

possibly the most impatient man I have ever met!”
Lambert stated after he had left, that he and Bowkett did not speak, during what transpired to be, his final 2 years as manager.

"PurpleCanary"

"I doubt there is a great need for extra money for January. There are the several millions we tried but failed to spend in the summer plus the millions already put aside for next month plus my generous contribution for a three-year season ticket. As in the summer it is not going to be the money for transfers that is the problem but choosing good enough targets that are available and willing to sign for us at the wages we pay"

We are going to have to pay big bucks to make any decent signings in January, long term investment might enable us to lift or restructure the wage cap which would help us in the market. All wild speculation of course.

The money for your season ticket was probably put towards the staff Christmas party so that should give you a nice warm feeling.

[quote user="Vanwink"]ricardo wrote the following post at 07/12/2015 4:59 PM:

Sorry to see Bowkett go, he has always impressed me at AGM''s.

I can''t see anybody coming in with loads of cash. Why would you when somebody else has control?Peak6 only took 25 % at Bounemouth.

Let''s hope there''s some money coming in that we can spend in January.
[/quote]But with us any purchase of even a comparitively small number of new ordinary shares (50,000) would reduce Smith and Jones'' holding to a minority one, and the statement says their overall ownership control is not going to be affected. Someone could pay a vast amount for a small number of shares, of course.

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]The best way to analyse Bowketts impact is comparing the clubs progress against similar sized clubs Southampton Swansea Leicester during his chairmanship

Stand back and reflect Southampton were in the 3rd tier at the same time as us when he took over and look at the differing progress

I am afraid it''s a tail of mediocrity not an opinion a sad fact[/quote]

POD Stand back further and reflect that at the same time as we were in the third tier together So''ton were being brought out of administration by a billionaire, Swansea were moving into a brand new, state-sponsored stadium and Leicester were also recovering from Administration and starting to see some new investment. The only one of the three that we could reasonably hold as a yard stick are Swansea and at the moment we''re only 3 points (and a lot more sustainable on wages from reports) off them without any of the investment or state aid they received.

[quote user="cornish sam"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]The best way to analyse Bowketts impact is comparing the clubs progress against similar sized clubs Southampton Swansea Leicester during his chairmanship

Stand back and reflect Southampton were in the 3rd tier at the same time as us when he took over and look at the differing progress

POD Stand back further and reflect that at the same time as we were in the third tier together So''ton were being brought out of administration by a billionaire, Swansea were moving into a brand new, state-sponsored stadium and Leicester were also recovering from Administration and starting to see some new investment. The only one of the three that we could reasonably hold as a yard stick are Swansea and at the moment we''re only 3 points (and a lot more sustainable on wages from reports) off them without any of the investment or state aid they received.[/quote]1 point [;)]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="cornish sam"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]The best way to analyse Bowketts impact is comparing the clubs progress against similar sized clubs Southampton Swansea Leicester during his chairmanship

POD Stand back further and reflect that at the same time as we were in the third tier together So''ton were being brought out of administration by a billionaire, Swansea were moving into a brand new, state-sponsored stadium and Leicester were also recovering from Administration and starting to see some new investment. The only one of the three that we could reasonably hold as a yard stick are Swansea and at the moment we''re only 3 points (and a lot more sustainable on wages from reports) off them without any of the investment or state aid they received.[/quote]1 point [;)][/quote]
Swansea will soon be beneath us

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Exactly Bristol.

Its great to want to be the best but if 2 are ahead and 22 behind its not too shabby is it?[/quote]I would challenge those figures, nutty, in my tradionally impartial way from both sides of the argument...At the moment there are three clubs of similar size to us doing better - Crystal Palace, Watford and Swansea. But there are 26 clubs either as big as us or bigger (in some cases considerably so) doing worse - Portsmouth in League Two, Coventry City, Blackpool (or/and Wigan) and Sheffield United in League One, all the clubs in the Championship bar Rotherham United, Huddersfield Town, MK Dons, Reading and Brentford, and Newcastle United, Sunderland and Aston Vila in the Premier League.As an afterthought, it is astonishing what one can learn looking down the pyramid. AFC Wimbledon are now a league team and could be in the same divison as MK Dons next season. Who knew? And Fleetwood Town (who they?) are one step away from the Championship?

The timing of all this keeps running around my head. Mr.Bowkett''s  decision to stand down completely has not come about all of a sudden in recent days surely and i take on board the inference that new directors and direction are on the horizon and all will be revealed shortly but i just cannot understand why he sought re-election at the AGM just two short weeks ago.That would have been the time to stand down in front of 250 of the club''s shareholders and for them too show their appreciation of his tireless efforts since 2009. The media were in attendance to give it maximum publicity but instead we got sausage rollgate  and yesterday a short bland statement from the media office.

Like you Til something doesn''t seem ''normal'' to me or it may just be we''re seeing something that isn''t there. My feeling is there is more to this than we have been told but nothing new there, how many transfer fees are for some, possibly, paranoid reason, undisclosed.

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]It will make sense when you see who the new directors are

I am critical of the Stowmarket 2 but they have done well re thee new board members[/quote]

3 new ''yes men'' POD?

[quote user="TIL 1010"]The timing of all this keeps running around my head. Mr.Bowkett''s  decision to stand down completely has not come about all of a sudden in recent days surely and i take on board the inference that new directors and direction are on the horizon and all will be revealed shortly but i just cannot understand why he sought re-election at the AGM just two short weeks ago.That would have been the time to stand down in front of 250 of the club''s shareholders and for them too show their appreciation of his tireless efforts since 2009. The media were in attendance to give it maximum publicity but instead we got sausage rollgate  and yesterday a short bland statement from the media office.[/quote]My thoughts too Til.  Something definitely seems off with the timing, just two weeks after the AGM and the rather terse statement on the official site.You would have to think that something rather major has happened in the last 2 weeks if nothing was known prior to the AGM just two weeks ago, where Mr Bowkett stood for re-election.With the timing (December), one thing that it could possibly be connected to is the January transfer window, and perhaps everybody wasn''t singing from the same hymn sheet.  But again, if this was case, you would think that this would definitely have been known prior to the AGM.Other than that, the only other thing I can think of timing wise (and this is pure speculation and nothing more) is something health wise, which wasn''t known prior to the AGM.

Completely unsubstantiated guesswork here but I can think of a couple of possible scenarios which may have led to Bowkett''s sudden departure.

Firstly, It probably hasn''t gone unnoticed that he has done a fantastic job here, so perhaps he has received a job offer from another organisation or company - quite possibly unconnected with football - that, given his age, was simply too good a deal or too tempting a personal challenge to turn down. There''s nothing particularly sinister about that, talented people get tempted away by other options all the time, even at boardroom level. Could be that the opportunity only came up in the last few days, hence his initial intention to remain on the board at the AGM.

More controversially, could there possibly be a link here to the incoming new kit sponsor for next year? Perhaps new investment is coming in the form of sponsorship, with the sponsor or their representative taking a seat on the board but not necessarily a shareholding? I suspect there may be benefits related to the FFP regulations if something like that were to occur. Perhaps Bowkett is unhappy with that arrangement but was outvoted by fellow directors, and felt unable to continue in his role?

As I say, pure speculation, I don''t have a cousin''s uncle''s neighbour''s windowcleaner''s son working in the ticket office or anything... just a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind which may or may not prove accurate in explaining the situation...

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]Completely unsubstantiated guesswork here but I can think of a couple of possible scenarios which may have led to Bowkett''s sudden departure.

Firstly, It probably hasn''t gone unnoticed that he has done a fantastic job here, so perhaps he has received a job offer from another organisation or company - quite possibly unconnected with football - that, given his age, was simply too good a deal or too tempting a personal challenge to turn down. There''s nothing particularly sinister about that, talented people get tempted away by other options all the time, even at boardroom level. Could be that the opportunity only came up in the last few days, hence his initial intention to remain on the board at the AGM.

More controversially, could there possibly be a link here to the incoming new kit sponsor for next year? Perhaps new investment is coming in the form of sponsorship, with the sponsor or their representative taking a seat on the board but not necessarily a shareholding? I suspect there may be benefits related to the FFP regulations if something like that were to occur. Perhaps Bowkett is unhappy with that arrangement but was outvoted by fellow directors, and felt unable to continue in his role?

As I say, pure speculation, I don''t have a cousin''s uncle''s neighbour''s windowcleaner''s son working in the ticket office or anything... just a couple of thoughts that crossed my mind which may or may not prove accurate in explaining the situation...[/quote]I agree these are also possibilities.

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]It will make sense when you see who the new directors are

I am critical of the Stowmarket 2 but they have done well re thee new board members[/quote]

3 new ''yes men'' POD?[/quote]

One is a female and very much not a yes man or woman!

POD,

It certainly appears you know something and I fully understand you cannot share too much but it sounds as if it is all good?

A new name as Chairman or an existing director? Appreciate it if you are unable to respond.

[quote user="lappinitup"]AS there will be more than one new appointment, possibly a ''fan'' on the board?[/quote]I will see if City Angel can get a shortlist tomorrow night from the audience at the NCFSC forum. That should be the largest gathering of fans to gauge any interest in taking on the job.

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Not sure re chairman but new Director is a marketing expert an area where the club is struggling[/quote]And it''s a "she"?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lappinitup"]AS there will be more than one new appointment, possibly a ''fan'' on the board?[/quote]I will see if City Angel can get a shortlist tomorrow night from the audience at the NCFSC forum. That should be the largest gathering of fans to gauge any interest in taking on the job.[/quote]

Good God NO, just no!

Remember the last elitist fan lark anyone?

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="lappinitup"]AS there will be more than one new appointment, possibly a ''fan'' on the board?[/quote]I will see if City Angel can get a shortlist tomorrow night from the audience at the NCFSC forum. That should be the largest gathering of fans to gauge any interest in taking on the job.[/quote]

Good God NO, just no!

Remember the last elitist fan lark anyone?[/quote]I thought they had migrated elsewhere ?

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Not sure re chairman but new Director is a marketing expert an area where the club is struggling[/quote]Strange statement Waveney bearing in mind McNally was director of marketing at Celtic.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Not sure re chairman but new Director is a marketing expert an area where the club is struggling[/quote]Strange statement Waveney bearing in mind McNally was director of marketing at Celtic.[/quote]

Til,

Would make some sense if DM was to become Chairman