Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Altogether now:

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]How about Jarvis instead of Ollsen?[/quote]
I think you mean "Brady".
And "Olsson".
But well done for showing off your knowledge of the team you "support".

Says the chump who thinks Mexico is virtually the same as Texas. Maybe it is in old w esterns, but not now.

Sorry Miggs, I always seem to get those 2 names mixed up. With Brady on defense, the games were much more exciting, and who knows but had Martin been at RB then, results could have gone more our way.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]"Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson is the best back 4 line-up we have''

Altogether now.

Admit it.

Martin is a RB.[/quote]
I know it seems self-evident to many on here, but it clearly isn''t Alex Neil''s view. I''d be interested to hear your (or IBT''s or anyone else''s) explanation of why Martin started ahead of Bennett today Mrs M.

If we play Brady at LB then we''d probably go Jarvis at LM whose not that good.

(though must admit Jarvis has been good in most of the games he''s played for us, unfortunately for me I also watch a lot of West Ham games as well)

westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 12/12/2015 6:26 PM:I know it seems self-evident to many on here, but it clearly isn''t Alex Neil''s view. I''d be interested to hear your (or IBT''s or anyone else''s) explanation of why Martin started ahead of Bennett today Mrs M.

----------------

After watching AN post match interview it seems that he felt the need to change it after the poor Watford game. In that game our two CB''s were run ragged. Because Bassong is our only real option for the LCB role I doubt he''d be dropped so therefore Martin has come back in for Bennett.

The other reason why I think he started Martin, looking at his pre-match interview, AN indicated that we''d have a go (starting 2 wingers and Hoolahan) and look to hold onto possession. As Martin is more comfortable with the ball and is a much more modern day CB, I think this is also another major factor, however once the game started that plan was thrown out of the window it seems.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

When Jarvis is back I would definitely have Brady in at left back over Olson

Can''t believe your remark about Jarvis, "whose not that good"

He has been very good for us, couldn''t give a toss how he played for West Ham.

Altogether now.

Sack the manager!

1 win from 11. Get a new chairman and manager just in time for the transfer window.

Do a Bournemouth and Watford and try hard enough to get players and the results will come. End of story

[quote user="mrs miggins"]"Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson is the best back 4 line-up we have''

Altogether now.

Admit it.

Martin is a RB.[/quote]

I may be wrong but hasn''t LDC been saying he is a CH....he clearly isn''t but I admit he had a decent half at RB

Vanwink wrote the following post at 12/12/2015 6:38 PM:

Can''t believe your remark about Jarvis, "whose not that good"

He has been very good for us, couldn''t give a toss how he played for West Ham.

-----------

Don''t know if you saw but I did say that he''s been good in most of the games that he''s played for us (which is hardly a lot).

You may not care how he played for West Ham but I''d rather judge him on that than the 5 games he''s played for us. I don''t wish to bash him but the last game he played for us was more how everyone who''s seen him play regularly knows what he does. He could however have a new lease of life here, Grant Holt did.

I recall seeing him play for Wolves and being hugely impressed, he has ability and AN was getting the best out of him.

Players play differently in different teams, structures, management influence etc. He has done well for us IMO.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]westcoastcanary wrote the following post at 12/12/2015 6:26 PM:I know it seems self-evident to many on here, but it clearly isn''t Alex Neil''s view. I''d be interested to hear your (or IBT''s or anyone else''s) explanation of why Martin started ahead of Bennett today Mrs M.

----------------

After watching AN post match interview it seems that he felt the need to change it after the poor Watford game. In that game our two CB''s were run ragged. Because Bassong is our only real option for the LCB role I doubt he''d be dropped so therefore Martin has come back in for Bennett.

The other reason why I think he started Martin, looking at his pre-match interview, AN indicated that we''d have a go (starting 2 wingers and Hoolahan) and look to hold onto possession. As Martin is more comfortable with the ball and is a much more modern day CB, I think this is also another major factor, however once the game started that plan was thrown out of the window it seems.

Those are my thoughts anyway.[/quote]
My reading, both of his words and his selection for the game, can be summed up in one word-- balance. Bennett plus improved defensive discipline from midfield has blunted our attacking play. The answer isn''t to revert to "having a go" but to improve fluency from the back while retaining as much as possible of that discipline in midfield. 
I haven''t seen the post-match interview. Was anything said about the reasons for the half-time substitution? I saw mention that Wisdom did a hamstring, is that right?

Bennett wins headers against Premier League centre forwards which is not a strength of Martin nor Bassong.He is also a threat at corners and set pieces.

"Bennett wins headers against Premier League centre forwards which is not a strength of Martin nor Bassong.He is also a threat at corners and set pieces."

Exactly. Bennett winning headers give our midfielders a possibility to pick up the pieces and we leep possession better. As seen in the second half vs Everton. The decision to play shitty Martin as CB could be a costly one for us. Lost us quite a few points this season.

From now on, I think AN have semented Martin as a RB. He will play RB or will be dropped.

Grefstad-are these the same points that Jerome has cost us with clear cut chances missed against Stoke and Everton? Or the Tettey fouls that led to goals for West Ham and Watford? Or Tettey losing his man against Stoke for their goal? Ruddy against Man City and Arsenal? Did you forget the points Russ helped us get against Liverpool, Stoke and Sunderland when he scored. Everybody, including Russ has been at fault when we concede-why single him out when others have cost us this season?

With better finishing this season we would have alot more points but those players seem to escape the criticism.