Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Everton

Much against my better judgement and with Mrs. Ricardo''s protestations ringing in my ears, I made a last minute decision and trudged off to CR in the pouring rain.Having been ill all the week I made sure I was suitably attired and with pockets full of cough sweets and a minature bottle of Mrs. Ricardo''s miracle cure. One part honey, nine parts Jameson''s.Upon arrival I was surprised to see no place for Ryan Bennett and Russell Martin restored to the back line. Wes, Gary O''Neil and Jerome by contrast were fairly obvious additions. It was a fairly even opening few minutes with Everton showing slick movement and crisp passing while City worked the first chances. Howard did well to cut out Hoolahans cross after a nice move down the right and then Redmond and soon after, Tetty, both had stinging shots a yard over the bar.The City defence looked nervous and there were moans from the crowd when they gave the ball away. On fifteen minutes they paid the penalty when a series of bad passes and clearances allowed Everton to lift a ball to the back post where Lokaku made short work with a firm header from close range. City tried to come forward and despite plenty of possession thirty yards from goal they constantly conspired to give the ball away to quick Everton counter-attacks. Redmond even managed to set them away with a forty yard pass to nobody in particular in our own half.It began to look desperate as a low cross found Lokaku alone on the six yard line only for the big man to fail with his connection and the ball spun wide. With halftime approaching and Everton cutting through at will, City could not stop giving it away and twice woefully under hit passes set up Kone and Lokaku, only for Rudd to pull off great blocks while one on one. Then Lokaku showed he was human with a bad miss kick only for Baines to follow up with a snorter that came back off the post. There was still time for Lokaku to narrowly miss the target with low shots to left and right of the goal before the half time whistle brought relief and a storm of booing. Had I felt better I might very well have joined in because that was without doubt the most disappointing display in a long long time.After a dose of medication I remarked to my son (without much conviction) that we could have easily been three or four down but one goal is seldom enough. Thankfully Bennett came on for the second period with Martin, who had looked bereft of confidence, reverting to right back. City came forward quickly and earned a corner. Bennett rose highest and as the defenders scrambled it looked like Wes who poked it home at the second attempt.The crowd was now back in the game, it had seemed like a morgue for  much of the first half. Martin made a couple of important interceptions and the City rearguard was now looking a lot stronger. The game got really stretched with play moving quickly from end to end. There were plenty of shots and blocks but nothing clear cut until Redmond sped away just after the hour mark only for a dreadful cross which was far to close to Howard while Jerome was screaming for the ball in acres of space. Moments later there was an even better chance when Jerome found himself with time and space six yards out only to spoon his effort over the bar.There was still time for Everton to huff and puff and Rudd to make another good block but City were in no mood to have their house blown down and when the final whistle went there was appreciative applause for a point well won. It didn''t look likely at halftime but this point had to be dragged out of the fire and with luck it might have been more but in truth Everton will regret missing those hatfull of first half chances.Rudd clearly MOM for me with Wes, Brady and Gary O''Neil the pick of the rest. I also thought we looked much stronger with Ryan Bennett in commanding form at the back during that furious second half.

Great to see you mended up enough to make it to Carrow Road this afternoon Ricardo! Hopefully the well earned point would have made it worth leaving the comfort and warmth!

As usual, a lovely report - I cannot get Jerome miss out of my mind - 3 points would by no means have been deserved after that first half performances but nicking games like that will be our route to safety. Football is a strange game, feels like 2 points lost but at the same time a point well earned where we might not have deserved it had we not somehow hung on in that torrid first half!

Much thanks Ricardo, & a great antidote to the commentary on the game, which had obviously been pre-written. It''s just nice to know you''re not going insane.

One of the (many) things that had me shouting at the screen was their complete disregard of the guy who was in an offside position for their goal - not even a mention - until they suddenly decided to have a look at it a few minutes later, when their expert said that the new interpretation of said rule meant that the player was not interfering with play because, even though he was in the centre of goal & must have been a distraction for the defence, the ball went over his head.

If that''s the case, they may as well just do away with offside altogether.

Great report Ricardo.I was amazed to see Bennett out of the starting line up.  As shown from Alex''s interview after the game, he said himself, he changes the lineup at times, because certain players work better in certain situations and against different opposition.  While I''m not denying that this may be the case, I just wish he could resist / curtail this inclination at times to keep chopping and changing the team, even after a defeat (that''s not to say never change), as a lot can be said for a settled team - especially the defence.To me we look stronger at the back with Rudd in nets, Bassong and Bennett at CB, Martin at right back and Olsson at left back, especially with Jarvis injured so not really much of an option to play Brady there.  I just hope we keep the back five as it is, even if we see defeats at Man U and Spurs.  I''m also at a bit of a loss to explain, well understand I suppose why Mulumbu is struggling to get a game.

No mention of the conditions Rickyyyyy.

From my vantage point in the wind and rain the biggest influence in the game was the wind and rain. First half we had to defend deeper and struggled to get up the pitch. Second half Everton had to defend deeper and struggled to get up the pitch. If ever there was a case for the conditions to be the same for both sides today was it. Of course, with their extra quality Everton coped that little bit better. But only just a little bit better. And I thought the booing and comments elsewhere on here from the armchair boys was a bit of a disgrace. Great credit to our team for sticking in there and taking advantage in the second half.

Clearly it is hard to assess the conditions from one''s armchair and if our first half performance was due to the wind and rain, and not because we sat too deep and conceded possession and territory freely, then I will hold my hands up.
I suspect however that Bennett for Wisdom and pushing Wes further up the pitch was more of an influence on our far stronger second half.  That first half was by far the poorest I have seen us play for some time.

That wouldn''t explain Everton''s change though Bor. My comments about armchair was maybe a bit harsh but down by the pitch I could see why both us and Everton defended deeper at the Barclay end. And because it was difficult to make clearances more balls had to be played out and both us and Everton pressed to make it difficult for defenders to get the ball out.

It was very wet Nigel but conditions seemed ideal for football. I sit high up in the River end and I cannot honestly say that the wind played a big part

Good report Ricardo, good to see the Jamesons still working wonders !

A game of 2 halves, i thought we showed them to much respect in first half, 2nd half and up and at em wasjust the tonic, all in all a fair result.

Get better soon.

Didn''t you notice the differences in Declan''s clearances first half to second half? He couldn''t make the halfway line first half and at least two went out for a throw in.

Our keepers finding touch is hardly a novelty. Perhaps you felt it at ground level but the rain seemed to be falling fairly straight down from my vantage point. I am surprised that you saw it as a big factor.

It was a huge factor. It was a lot easier to hold a higher line defending the River End. It would have been suicide the other end which is why Everton defended deeper too.

I walked to the game and back home again and although wet I can''t say I ever thought it was blowy.

We all see a different game Rickyy and you have a better vantage point than me. It''s amazing how the same game can look so different from the various vantage points. I dislike mine but needs must.

Are your more or less confident we can stay up after that performance?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We all see a different game Rickyy and you have a better vantage point than me. It''s amazing how the same game can look so different from the various vantage points. I dislike mine but needs must.

Are your more or less confident we can stay up after that performance?[/quote]The need to convert draws into wins is whats missing. There have been too many games where we might have got the win and didn''t so far. I remain hopeful but 37/38 points still looks a long way off and in that thought I can''t say that this result has made a difference one way or the other.

I guess but each point is really valuable and we won''t know how valuable until the end. The fact that we won the point after going behind to a good side is heartening though.

I sit on the front row, there was no wind. But lots of rain first half

Declan had a great game but he also kicked the ball off the pitch to the left from the river end so IMO the wind or lack of it had no effect

There''s wasn''t any real wind! Not from the weather, might have been from the supporters!

Bloody wet though, good report Ricardo, and a big mention for Rudd, was superb.

Was hoping that AN would have thrown on Mbakani alongside Jerome with 10 to go.

Poor first half, great response by the team second half.

Well its strange how much further Declan could kick the ball second half. I''m gonna have a word with dean kieley to find out where he got those ''kick further'' oranges :)

First half made very painful viewing on MOTD, Rudd saved our bacon more times than I can count. As for the second half, Jerome to be replaced by Mbokani going forwards please. Misses like that will send us down.