Sign in to follow this  

Should have been backed in the summer but wasn''t. Can''t say I''m overly confident of the board coming up with the needed funds to sign the players that will keep us in this league, their track record is hardly encouraging. For some reason Neil isn''t giving Mbokani the game time he needs to settle into English football. If he doesn''t believe he is good enough then we must sign a forward that is, whatever the cost.

How many times did we try to sign decent players? How many times did we get knocked back??

I''m afraid it''s all part of the joy of supporting NCFC.

OTBC!

For me, we need to cash in on:

Redmond 11m perhaps?

Ruddy 4m?

Hooper 2m?

Lafferty 2m?

Maybe one other?

And spend 10m that we didn''t spend in the summer. We need two bigger name players like Naismith and a defender and a hungry poacher from the Champs.

It''s possible we could stay up. Interesting window to come.

If we are not prepared to pay the wages that these players are demanding, they are not going to sign for us and it doesn''t matter how many millions of pounds we will pay in transfer fees.
The club''s agreed business model is to live within its means and not risk the house of cards falling in.  I support that approach, but I understand why it frustrates other supporters.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I thought Alex Neil said on Wednesday that all this about him not being backed was a myth.[/quote]
Well, he would say that, wouldn''t he?

Not so forcibly Bor. He was adamant about it and cited players we tried to sign and the reasons we didn''t. Of course he''s not going to openly criticise the board but this was no wishy washy rebuttal.

We know that AN tried (from reports at least) to get the CB from Napoli called Koulibaly who would''ve been on a lot of money, however apparently didn''t want to come here (don''t blame him tbh, he belongs in a team like Southampton).

However, this isn''t really good enough is it. We had the whole transfer window to pull off a few signings and I was stupid enough to think that we had enough transfer targets that would come off in the last few days of the window.

....instead we just sold Bradley Johnson.

Brady has been an excellent signing but when you think the like of West Brom bought the Hull CB, Chester, for £10m just to sit on the bench it makes you realise how cheap we really are.

(sorry if I sound like a troll, it''s just the whole transfer window was a complete farce. On a positive note, I think Mbokani could be really good for us if given regular starts).

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Brady has been an excellent signing but when you think the like of West Brom bought the Hull CB, Chester, for £10m just to sit on the bench it makes you realise how cheap we really are.[/quote]
Or you could argue that spending £10m on a centre back who can''t get into the first team really isn''t the kind of business we want to be conducting.
After all, we spent £13.5m on strikers two seasons ago and both are currently out on loan.

It''s a good point, though I''d love us to sign Chester at £10m, great CB. Unfortunately he chose a team who have 2 good CB''s as well as Tony Pulis who never changes his team selection.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]The worrying thing is I''m led to believe that there has to be outgoings to balance the books[/quote]I haven''t been led to believe anything, but the back of my fag packet predicts:*1) We will spend a record amount for a winter window.2) There may well be players sold but only to part-finance transfers in, and those departing will be players who (and there are some obvious candidates) Neil has decided are not wanted on voyage. Apart from anything, some squad members will almost certainly have to be culled (sold or loaned out) to make room for the incomers.3) We will spend more than we get back in transfer fees. We will certainly not balance the books either in terms of our winter spending or our overall summer and winter spending.*These predictions reflect what my fag packet is sure the directors want to happen, and have budgeted for. But, as with the generally successful summer window, not everything works out as planned in the wacky world of football transfers.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]The worrying thing is I''m led to believe that there has to be outgoings to balance the books[/quote]

Its not a surprise (the cash "bonanza" only really starts flowing in the end of this season, well after we have spent the money we dont have squad strengthening to compete, creating the cashflow shortfall that necessitated 3 year season ticket fund raiser) and I dont see that as a bad thing.

We have a squad bloated with with players who made limited appearances in the champs (most now on loan and mainly being uninspiring tbh) or who are in the twighlight zone of too good for one and not good enough for the PL.

So getting those players off the books, even at a loss, will be a good thing if it enables the right strengthening. I accept the challenge is getting takers for them.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]We know that AN tried (from reports at least) to get the CB from Napoli called Koulibaly who would''ve been on a lot of money, however apparently didn''t want to come here (don''t blame him tbh, he belongs in a team like Southampton).

However, this isn''t really good enough is it......[/quote]Well from what David McNally told the audience at the Capital Canaries 40th bash we tried to sign a centre half from abroad with Champions League experience ( presumably Koulibaly ? ).An eight figure Euros fee was agreed and the player wanted to come but the move broke down as the the selling club couldn''t find a replacement. Assuming this is true then I would say it shows ambition but I would agree that the transfer window activity was seriously underwhelming.