Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Benik Afobe

For anyone who watched the Wolves-Forest match on Friday you would have noticed that Afobe was only brought on for the last few minutes in the hope of snatching a winner. The commentator stated that the rumblings around Wolverhampton were still very much suggesting he would be departing in January.

Hope so. I think he''ll be a great signing.

What I''d like to see is:

Afobe - £10m

Naismith - £4m

Then a CB and a RB - £15m

Sell Grabban - £5-6m

Sell Lafferty - £1m

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Hope so. I think he''ll be a great signing.

What I''d like to see is:

Afobe - £10m

Naismith - £4m

Then a CB and a RB - £15m

Sell Grabban - £5-6m

Sell Lafferty - £1m[/quote]

Everton are too smart to let Naismith go for 4m, especially in January. He will cost us at least what we bid in the summer, if not more.

While I would like Afobe, I''m curious as to why people think he will perform better than Jerome or Mbokani in this league.

Afobe would be a gamble, but you simply don''t know until they step up to the Premier League how a player will cope. Ighalo got 20 goals at Championship Level last season as did Jerome. Ighalo is absolutely flying this season whilst Jerome has struggled in front of goal.

The problem we have now is that despite a decent result yesterday, with Bournemouth winning our position looks increasingly perilous. Is Afobe going to join Norwich if he feels that''s he just potentially going to be back in the same league as Wolves in 6 months?

With Dicko also out injured long term are they going to let their main striker and main source of goals leave the club? They''d be left with Le Fondre and Holty if he went, which wouldn''t inspire confidence if I were a Wolves fan.

Doesn''t seem likely to me unless it''s for the crazy £14 million they quoted in the summer, and there is no way we should pay that price. That''s just simply too much for a Championship player.

Indeed Jacko. Any signing for that sort of money is a gamble. I agree with those who say we haven''t seen proof that he''s better than what we have. But I do remember Russell Martin citing him as one of the best forwards be faced last season.

Afobe is nothing special as Wolves have found out this season.We''d be mugs to go back after dodging a bullet.

If we are looking for a lower league player to take a gamble on, there''s a young lad in League 1 getting plenty of accolades and doing really well......Jacob Murphy.   His brother isn''t bad either......

[quote user="ricardo"]Afobe is nothing special as Wolves have found out this season.We''d be mugs to go back after dodging a bullet.[/quote]

HUZZAH!

And every striker who plays against Martin looks good!

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="ricardo"]Afobe is nothing special as Wolves have found out this season.We''d be mugs to go back after dodging a bullet.[/quote]

HUZZAH!

And every striker who plays against Martin looks good![/quote]

It wouldn''t be a Sunday without wiz bashing a player from the team he claims to support.

If we were in for Afobe then it suggests Mbokani is either not as good or as bothered as we had hoped.

A player to link up attack and midfield is what we need.

There''s an Italian called Quagiarella. Has anyone else heard of him?

Funny that none of us can agree on one quality striker that we would like to see in come January, there''s not a stand out in any lower league this year.

I''m not sure Afobe on Naismith are any better than we have and that''s proving not to be good enough!

I''m glad I''m not the manager.....

We won''t spend over the odds for players we know that given our failures in the summer to bring in people. I''m not convinced by afobe. Given ANs set up we need players who can do a lot by themselves to create scoring chances. I''m not sure Afobe is the answer

I''d rather we gave Mbokani a chance first. If I have one criticism of Neil then it''s his lack of game time for whatever reason. Has looked dangerous every time he has been on the pitch, holds the ball up well and gets in the right areas to get chances.

I''m all for seeing if that old chestnut of 2 strikers could actually work? Why not try Jerome & Mbokani? Is there a law that says we have to play one striker?

Would love us to try Mbokani and Jerome upfront, both have so much power and Jerome works so hard as well as Mbokani being a good finisher (albeit a bit one footed).

Playing Jerome and Mbokani makes little sense given both are the same type of striker. One of them alongside Grabban would make more sense. Neither option really appeals though.

They really aren''t Bor (imo). Jerome looks to play on the shoulder a lot more whereas Mbokani stays central because he hasn''t got the pace but can hold it up like a beast. Thats how I see it anyway. Could be a team to play against one of the top sides to play counter-attacking football.

-----------------Rudd----------------

Martin--Bennett--Basson--Olsson

Redmond-Tettey-Mulumbu-Brady

----------Jerome---Mbokani--------

Personally like the look of that against a team like Spurs or Arsenal.

That''s what I love about us fans, we all see teams, tactics and players so different.

I don''t think Grabban can play alongside, Jerome or Mbokani, but like Miggs I can see these two causing havoc, but for me we don''t need two holding midfielders get other O''Neil or Wes on there to pick up the ball from the two beasts up top and supply them from two wing backs pushing forward, in Brady & Martin.

I''d be starting without Redmond and Mulumbu in my team and that would be against Villa a must win game.