Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

3 Cheers to our Board - Well Done

Third time lucky and still Fu@ked it up, and that''s my 3 cheers.Some of you, will still be saying well done for another reason no doubt.

Brandy butter is enough to send some on here into a real frenzy! Reminds me of a certain owner of ours who has a big go when on the sherry! Com on, let''s be avin u......

We''re not into January and already being moaned about not spending! Let''s wait to see who our targets are then moan!

So you think that someone / several people will say "It doesn''t matter if we''re in the bottom three, at least we have some money"?

Okay.

Some people still suffering delusions of grandeur.  On resources available we are a bottom three club.  If you want to spend your way up the league you will more likely end up like Bolton and end up in serious debt and at the bottom of the championship.  We''ve been there and it''s not nice.  If you want a rich investor, you are more than likely going to end up losing your club as you know it, unless you can fnd one that is a real fan of the club - very hard to find as it always has been.But I''ll give three cheers to the board - One for DS and MWJ for steering our club in the perilous world of football and seeing us from a basket case into a club that is free of debt yet regularly playing at the top level.One for McNally who has twice plucked a gem of a young manager to see us hit the heights of the top league.One for the whole board for putting up with cr*p from a few delusional fans who seem to expect we can compete at the top level by right, who expect us to get the best players in the face of  probably every other club in the league being more wealthy than us.They are not perfect, they make mistakes - mistakes are absolutely inevitable with so many things being beyond your control - but on balance we are doing ok.  Yes, we''re in the bottom three, but we won''t get out of there by condemnations and accusations.  We''ll get out of there because fans will get behind the team and support them, the manager and the board. 

My frustration is that we are behind newly appointed clubs to this division and we still look miles off the pace after our third visit.

[quote user="dibbler"]My frustration is that we are behind newly appointed clubs to this division and we still look miles off the pace after our third visit.[/quote]Previous visits are irrelevant.  Each season is different and to be treated on it''s own merits - ask Leicester.  We are near the bottom at the moment, but have time to regroup, start picking up points anywhere and against anyone and we will be be to keep the challenge going right up to the end of the season.  Or we could all start feeling sorry for ourselves and moan and groan about our problems............

dibbler-My frustration is that we are behind newly appointed clubs to this division and we still look miles off the pace after our third visit. /quote

None of us want to be bottom 3 but it was inevitable we would be there at some point this season. As for being behind the other clubs, Watford have been good and deserve their position. Bournemouth have had a good little spell but you never know next week could be our turn and we are suddenly above them.

There''s a long way to go yet and one thing I have learnt from our time in the premier is that the league can change very quickly. A few weeks ago and Newcastle and Bournemouth looked to be really struggling and a couple of wins later you''d think they had survived already.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="dibbler"]My frustration is that we are behind newly appointed clubs to this division and we still look miles off the pace after our third visit.[/quote]Previous visits are irrelevant.  Each season is different and to be treated on it''s own merits - ask Leicester.  We are near the bottom at the moment, but have time to regroup, start picking up points anywhere and against anyone and we will be be to keep the challenge going right up to the end of the season.  Or we could all start feeling sorry for ourselves and moan and groan about our problems............

[/quote]

Previous seasons irrelevant? What deluded nonsense. Its money from these seasons that should have been used to invest in the squad, to make us stronger.

Ask West Ham, Palace, Soton, et al.

Instead, the board decided to go fully external debt free, for what it was worth.

Almost all clubs in the league got some debt, not us. Because the board are too scared to invest, when there is an alltime opportunity to establish ourselves in the riches of the Premier.

Fully agree with LDC on his comments, the board have done a great job with City financially. From the dire mess we were in back in League 1 to being solidly sound now is actually quite amazing when you think we have never had a rich owner like the majority of clubs in the Prem. That includes new arrivals yes, like Bournemouth, Watford to, they both have much superior backing than City. Indeed, look at some of the so called super rich clubs who have owners that throw money around with gay abandon,,,they are in reality probably financially heavier in debt than City.I have one reservation, about last summers transfer window. It was painfully obvious to fans what  was needed to strengthen the team, and for whatever reasons they failed. I said at start of season it would turn out to be a fundamental mistake, after 16 games my opinion is we are where we deserve to be, in the bottom 3, in the majority of those 16 matches we have not been anywhere near good enough. None of us know why the summer transfer window was a failure, you can blame the board or the scouting staff or Alex himself, fact is the club as a whole failed to deliver. Anyway, its now going to be one of 2 scenarios, a long hard painful 6 months to May by which time all of us will be yearning for the Championship or some fabulous upturn in results which see City survive. I feel the latter option is wishful thinking. Alex has yet to find that magic ingredient of a solid defence combined with good attacking and goal scoring. Have we even the players who could deliver that ingredient anyway?All said and done, City are really unique in being such a locally owned down to earth football club who regularly jump into the Prem for a spell, without the trappings of rich owners, yet are now as financially solid as they have been for many a year. For these reasons we are top of the Prem. clubs, even if we are not on the actual pitch.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="dibbler"]My frustration is that we are behind newly appointed clubs to this division and we still look miles off the pace after our third visit.[/quote]Previous visits are irrelevant.  Each season is different and to be treated on it''s own merits - ask Leicester.  We are near the bottom at the moment, but have time to regroup, start picking up points anywhere and against anyone and we will be be to keep the challenge going right up to the end of the season.  Or we could all start feeling sorry for ourselves and moan and groan about our problems............

[/quote]

Previous seasons irrelevant? What deluded nonsense. Its money from these seasons that should have been used to invest in the squad, to make us stronger.

Ask West Ham, Palace, Soton, et al.

Instead, the board decided to go fully external debt free, for what it was worth.

Almost all clubs in the league got some debt, not us. Because the board are too scared to invest, when there is an alltime opportunity to establish ourselves in the riches of the Premier.
[/quote]This is wrong in almost much every respect (not unlike that thankfully deleted post earlier evening on the law of libel, which in one paragraph manged to get everything wrong, and very dangerously so).The money we got from our previous seasons WAS invested to improve the squad. Without itemising the players or the specific amounts (I could do, but it is late on a  Sunday) in the summer and winter at the start of the  Lambert Premier League season we only got rid of players we wanted to offload and brought significant improvements, very much at a net spend. The same applied in the summer and winter on the first Hughton season, with again a large net spend on better players.Where things went wrong was in the summer of the second Hughton season, where there was again a massive net spend, but much of it on the useless van Wolfswinkel. With relegation the next summer we had to sell (Fer and Snodgrass) as much as we had to buy. So instead of four seasons of continual  improvement, such as Swansea and others have had, we had two steps forward and two - if nor back - then very much sideways.Lastly, we had absolutely no choice about paying back the external debt. The directors did not decide to do that rather than add to the transfer kitty. This is the reddest of red Norwegian herrings. Since you have made the phrase acceptable, I feel free to describe your linkage of the two as the deluded nonsense it is.

Ahh yes. That most special case of fan.

The "over the fence looker"

Never focuses on, you know, Norwich City. Only how we compare with perceived "rivals"

Rivals that are usually bankrolled by international criminals.

In the 55 years I''ve been supporting City we have spent about half that time in the top division and half in the second. This makes us a yo-yo club. I''m sure that the board have decided that they will never risk coming so close to administration as they did when we dropped into League one. Of course they want us to become an established Premiership club but will not risk the financial viability of the club to achieve it. Whilst our owners are wealthy by comparison to the fans they are not wealthy enough to see fortunes spent. If we go down we have the parachute payments and as long as we get promoted again before these run out we can have a decent future.