Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Nigel, PLEASE can we have a new defender?

Oh dear, Helveg gone (no surprise, and probably not a great loss either), but I am getting more and more concerned at the lack of rebuilding at the back. Doherty hasn''t worked out, Charlton seems to have gone off to meet Lord Lucan, Fleming had a shocker of a season and only Shacks came out of last year with any credit and even then only for the last quareter or so.

Could we please STOP buying any more attackers. Yes, I know it''ll be great to score 5 goals a game, but I don''t want to see us conceding headed goals to 5''6" strikers standing unmarked on the 6 yard box like I did last season. Plus, it would be nice if they could arrive here in time to get some understanding together on the training pitch rather than learning on the job in front of 25,000 people.

Thorne, Jarrett, Mathieu- all great stuff but a nice big tall centre back would see me able to relax in my deckchair with a jug of Pimms................

[quote]Oh dear, Helveg gone (no surprise, and probably not a great loss either), but I am getting more and more concerned at the lack of rebuilding at the back. Doherty hasn''t worked out, Charlton seems to h...[/quote]

How about relaxing with a jug of ...............Primus, instead Tumbleweed?.

''HE'' markII, will sign!. 

If you''re right Wizard I will drink whatever I find first when I get home to celebrate......just make it happen will you (need any frogs for the potion?- Uncle Tony might send you M. Chirac to spice it up a bit.......!!)

[quote]Oh dear, Helveg gone (no surprise, and probably not a great loss either), but I am getting more and more concerned at the lack of rebuilding at the back. Doherty hasn''t worked out, Charlton seems to h...[/quote]

Tumbleweed, you say that Doherty hasn''t worked out but to be fair I don''t think the lad was really given a chance to perform in his natural position. When he came in he was thrown up front as our "target man". When he did play at the back he was found wanting but wasn''t Fleming also found wanting.

I say he ought to be allowed a chance to play alongside Shackell, at least in the preseason friendlies, to see if a partnership could be built.

It appears Pompey are very reluctant to let Primus go - i''m slightly baffled why Norwich want him quite so much and why Pompey want to hold onto him quite so much. He isn''t the world''s greatest defender and he''s 31!

Random point of interest: My Dad worked on Primus'' mortgage a number of years ago when he was at Reading!! Should imagine he has a slightly bigger house now!

Primus would not be cheap. His wages were almost doubled when Norwich bid for him last season and Portsmouth are holding out for a big fee so although I would have gladly taken hom a year ago I wouldn''t do so now. If we get promoted he will be too old for the premiership and also too old to move on for a fee.
I think we either go for someone younger or play Doherty. Am I not right in thinking Doherty got player of the month just before he was dropped and also played very well for Ireland recently.