Sign in to follow this  
GPB

West Ham bid £6m for Crouch!...what if we....

...had bid £6m (or even £4m) for Ashton at the start of last season would we still be in the premiership?

I dont think we could afford it at that time could we?

Didnt the club say that when Crouch went to Southampton for £2m that it was out of our range?

[quote]...had bid £6m (or even £4m) for Ashton at the start of last season would we still be in the premiership?[/quote]

yet again more "what ifs"

we are still better off than two seasons ago, and we will be back in the prem no doubt. Maybe yes we might have been, but id rather not think like that, and this about what damage he is going to do this season!

I thought west ham were in debt anyway ???? and then it said in press pardew is getting 20 million to spend

Any review of the league table shows that we were relegated because of the goals against column and not the goals for tally, so its unlikely IMO.

OTBC

Even if West Ham spend the 20 million they apparently have for transfers, I don''t expect them to be strong enough to stay up. Most of their fans still think they should be one of the top teams in England so will no doubt be on Pardews back if they don''t win their first 10 games and look like winning the league.

Even with our dismal goal difference an extra 2 points would have seen us remaining in the top flight and I agree that with DA that would have been likely.

But that''s history.

p.s. if only Everton had put up a decent fighht against Coventryin 1985....

[quote]...had bid £6m (or even £4m) for Ashton at the start of last season would we still be in the premiership?[/quote]

i highly doubt it.

You''re all forgetting the fact that if Crouch goes, that leaves one of our title rivals without their top striker for next season. I very much doubt much of that 6 million would go back into Southampton''s transfer kitty so West Ham buying him has to be good for us

I agree with BedsCanary, ''Arry has been spouting off in the press about the fact that as long as Crouch stays he feels he can run with the other forwards he has at the club (Blackstock and Ormerod) but having lost Phillips, if he was to lose Crouch as well I think they would definitely struggle for goals They will have a strong midfield though and their defence may be reasonable so we do need them to be weak up front. I note that Crouch has not come out and said he wants to stay, we all know he is a "nice guy" but surely the chance of joining Liverpool will mean a lot to him (whether he is warming the bench there or not), ''Arry reckoned he would be on eight times his current wage..................I am sure his agent will be phoning him regularly !!!

Mark .Y.

How Saints have turned down £6M for Crouch is beyond me.  He''s had ONE good season in the Premiership!  As for Ashton, I don''t think we could''ve afforded him last summer.  At least we got him in Januay though!

[quote]I thought west ham were in debt anyway ???? and then it said in press pardew is getting 20 million to spend[/quote]

Damn! you beat me to it Olster.

What part of near bankrupt, didn''t they learn from last time.

When, not if, it all goes pear shape again, they''re going to be in a further mess.

Although I''m all for taking a callulated risk, West Ham are being bloody suicidel with their finances!.