Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

12 goals conceded this season to crosses

Watched the everton game on Saturday at home ( yah boo sucks untrue fan etc ), and they mentioned that Narowich had conceded 12 goals so far this season to crosses.

I''d read somewhere that Gary Nevilles'' opinion on crosses was that if a cross gets into the box, then the full back has failed to do his job.

So, why are we allowing so many crosses to get into the box, and why are we so bad at preventing goals from them ? Is it a concentration issue ?

Yup. I mentioned this problem following the WBA game. They were able to cross at will from their left side until they finally scored from one.

Our right wasnt a problem with wisdom particularly solid, the danger on sat all came down our left with olsson normally hopelessly positioned for that torrid 30 mins until half time.

But we cant stop crosses completely but can be better at it, but likewise the CBs and GK have to deal with them better too.

For me we need Jarvis fit so he can play ahead of Brady at left back

We''ve scored more goals from corners this season than any other.

We''ve conceded a lot of goals on a Saturday but none on a Thursday.

I propose we change our fixtures to Thursday and press for corners.

Naooaraoaoaooooaoaaouaooauaoauxwich need to sort their defence out. Big time.

Bennett to play CB will certainly help. He wins 90% of his headers, Martin perhaps 60%?

Also, Brady at LB, Olsson the hell out, and Jarvis in as LM when fit will makes us more solid, and probably better balanced.

Olsson is probably one of the weaker LB''s in this division. Positions himself terribly in most matches, and seems to be a rather "sliw thinker".

[quote user="grefstad"]Bennett to play CB will certainly help. He wins 90% of his headers, Martin perhaps 60%? Also, Brady at LB, Olsson the hell out, and Jarvis in as LM when fit will makes us more solid, and probably better balanced. Olsson is probably one of the weaker LB''s in this division. Positions himself terribly in most matches, and seems to be a rather "sliw thinker".[/quote]

It really is remarkable that someone who in the past has been proven to make stuff up keeps doing it and expects people to believe him.

Whats a ''sliw''? Is it Scandanavian?

Its seems Bennetts aerial prowess is overstated - this seasons stats from WhoScored below.

Total Won Lost %

Sebastien Bassong 73 51 22 70%

Russell Martin 33 19 14 58%

Ryan Bennett 25 14 11 56%

I love stats .... far better than watching a match.

One day people will realise that, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, stats are in the eye of the compiler.

In fairness all that tells us is that Bennett is no different to Martin - but from less chances to prove himself.

Still think our best back 4 is;

Martin Bennett Bassong Brady

If Jarvis hadn''t got injured I''m convinced it''d be Brady and Jarvis down the left. Olsson is inconsistent.

Do the stats tell us how many headers players went for and didn''t stand off?

Do the stats tell us how many times players were caught in ''no man''s land'' neither covering or going for the header?

Do the stats tell us how many times headers were won when the winner had no right to win it?

Do the stats tell us how many times a player should have gone for a header but did not?

Do the stats tell us how many headers won cleared the ball decisively and how many merely made a slight contact with the ball?

Oh to be a compiler of statistics!

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]Do the stats tell us how many headers players went for and didn''t stand off? Do the stats tell us how many times players were caught in ''no man''s land'' neither covering or going for the header? Do the stats tell us how many times headers were won when the winner had no right to win it? Do the stats tell us how many times a player should have gone for a header but did not? Do the stats tell us how many headers won cleared the ball decisively and how many merely made a slight contact with the ball? Oh to be a compiler of statistics![/quote]

Exactly.  I''d be interested to know how many of those goals from crosses were conceded with Ryan Bennett in the team ?  Which is one stat I''d pay attention to.

But generally I am pretty certain I''d prefer to have Bennett at CB to defend a cross (or indeed generally), and I suspect these stats are a load of ****

Not worthy of a discussion at all.

Having Bennett as CB reduces our risk of conceding from crosses, compared to Martin.

Brady as left back will further reduce the risk of crosses coming into the box in the first place. Olsson is pretty poor at cutting out crosses.

Without a doubt we do lack a battering ram of a centre back to compete at these set pieces.

Generally Ruddy even though he is big and powerful doesn''t command his area. I don''t see Rudd being able to do this either

Any defensive reinforcement need to be of the build like a brick out house variety