Sign in to follow this  
A Load of Squit

Interesting idea from Virgin Media

Virgin Media calls on Premier League to allow live broadcast of all matches

Tom Mockridge suggests regional blackouts could solve 3pm kick-off issue

‘Consumers are entitled to make their own choices,’ says Virgin chief executive

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/dec/02/virgin-media-premier-league-live-broadcast-all-matches?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=The+Fiver+main&utm_term=141091&subid=4860619&CMP=EMCFTBEML853

I seem to remember that they do this in the states for NFL and if the game is a sell out the regional bar on broadcast is removed.Can our American posters confirm/deny this?

I use NFL Gamepass-a set yearly fee and you can watch any game live streamed through the x box. It''s really good as I get to watch every game that my team plays. The games that are on Sky are blacked out on Gamepass-I''m pretty sure the games are blacked out locally in America if it''s not sold out.

I also use NFL Gamepass (and love it)But I don''t think it works in the US. I think people in the US have to subscribe to the NFL Network, which is a very different beast, and has a much larger monthly subscription to the one we pay.For the record, and on topic from the OP, I actually understand the reasons for the 3pm Saturday rule. The problem is that people are obviously voting with their feet, with the current levels of dodgy streams, as well as pubs showing games. I think it''s inevitable that it will change in the near future.

i dispute broadcasting a game at 3pm would affect stadium attendances and until a broadcaster does this we will never know.

As others have previously pointed out elsewhere, it''s not just about protecting attendences at the match that would be televised, it''s about protecting all attendences. How many kids would go with their dad to see a team like Carlisle united if they could sit at home, stay warm and dry and watch the man utd game instead? Streaming does offer that opportunity but I don''t think it''s quite as ubiquitous as some imagine....

NFL blacks out local games that aren''t sell outs but you can still get it if you have the package that gives you access to any and every game.

Baseball is on tv regardless of ticket sales. It''s not often a game sells out as they play 162 a year, and the stadiums generally hold around 45000 on up. Same with MLS games being on tv although stadium capacities are generally much lower.

[quote user="cornish sam"]As others have previously pointed out elsewhere, it''s not just about protecting attendences at the match that would be televised, it''s about protecting all attendences. How many kids would go with their dad to see a team like Carlisle united if they could sit at home, stay warm and dry and watch the man utd game instead? Streaming does offer that opportunity but I don''t think it''s quite as ubiquitous as some imagine....[/quote]

I think people underestimate the feeling that there is towards local clubs.   There will always be those that are drawn to bigger clubs, but on the whole family tradition and a strong sense of local community will ensure that attendances for local games will always be strong in the lower leagues.  Carlisle is a good example of that - a club with strong ties to the community.  If there are those - and we all know them - that are local but choose a big club out of the area to support - then they have done that regardless of whether they could watch them live or not.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]I also use NFL Gamepass (and love it)But I don''t think it works in the US. I think people in the US have to subscribe to the NFL Network, which is a very different beast, and has a much larger monthly subscription to the one we pay.For the record, and on topic from the OP, I actually understand the reasons for the 3pm Saturday rule. The problem is that people are obviously voting with their feet, with the current levels of dodgy streams, as well as pubs showing games. I think it''s inevitable that it will change in the near future.[/quote]

My understanding is just that. don''t particularly watch the NFL but one of my roommates is subscribed to "NFL Sunday Ticket" through his satellite provider back at his parents place. this allows him to watch any game on his laptop/ps4 legally, and as you suggest does cost a significant amount to amend for the blackout lift.

They have the same sort of thing for NHL - which I do watch more closely.

Satellite TV has one stream broadcast all round the country. you couldn''t turn off Arsenal in LOndon and have it available in Manchester. Besides, you''d have to turn off Manchester games in London.

I''ve been thinking a little more about this.I think this statement from Virgin Media is interesting, not for necessary for what is being said, but more for who''s saying it.Of course broadcasters would like the 3pm Sunday restriction removed. They can make money out of it. But Virgin currently don''t have a horse in the race. While there has been rumours that they want to start a sports channel, that hasn''t yet happened. - possibly through lack of content (i.e. they bided for, but didn''t win any rights). Would it be a good thing if Virgin started it''s own sports channels with premium content? I''m not sure if consumers would win in this instance. In the last few years, BT has really established itself. Starting with the rights to 1 PL game a week, They then continued to win the rights to Champions League, Europa League, and even the next Ashes series. But Sky hasn''t dropped their prices, even though they now technically have less content. While BT can currently be received free for their broadband customers, it remains to be seen if that will always continue. Throw a 3rd player into the mix, your TV sport either starts to get even more expensive, or you have to chop and choose.However, I''d be surprised if we''re not going to see a shift to the systems mentioned above with American sports. Each one of them now has their own network, and online platform. And while - taking the NFL for example - they still sell localised and national prime-time rights (i.e. rights for Sunday & Monday night games) to traditional broadcasters like CBS, Fox & ESPN, they still sell their premium product to give people access to every game, special features like a Red Zone channel, all for a costly premium price. I''m assuming the profit on this to the NFL is huge, with very little overhead. They also hold the rights of games for their own network. For example, I think Thursday night football can only be seen exclusively on the NFL''s own channel.I''d be surprised if the Premier League & Football League isn''t at least looking into something similar as a way of increasing revenue, meaning that I can''t see the ''Sky money'' we always talking about going away anytime soon. However we may need to rename it from ''sky money'' to something else.However, whether this would be an good thing for the game as a whole is another conversation entirely.

I don''t see the games being shown anytime soon as there will always be the argument that lower league clubs attendances will suffer.

I see it far more likely that the premier league will just stop playing at 3 (as most weekends its lucky if 5 games are on at that time anyway) and will instead play mostly on Sunday''s so all games can be covered on a match choice type systems with an early and late game either side. This will mean people can still see their local sides on the Saturday whilst glory hunting on the Sunday.

surely the big clubs are pretty much all on TV each week anyway, if you want to stay at home and watch the top four play, you can now! Just at 1 or 5pm or on Sunday or Monday!

Slightly away from the main theme.

I bet many remember Brian Clough many years ago refused to tel ANY TV into the Forest games. I think this even included MOTD.

He said that this would kill the live game as supporters would not attend.

Well "OLD BIG HEAD" did not get much wrong, but events have proven he was in this instant.

LDC - I think that some people also over estimate the feeling towards local clubs and family tradition. A club such as Carlisle does have a lot of good feeling in the area, however, that doesn''t translate into bums on seats. I am using Carlisle as an example as I have a bit of local knowledge in that respect, but when you''re looking at £15-20 per ticket to go and watch poor quality football people quickly lose interest (in 11-12 they finished 8th in L1 and averaged 5,247 at home, in 12-13 they finished 17th averaging 4,302), if the kids can get a football fix with their glory team as well then there would be nothing to tempt them back when the football improved.

I saw this article today, and thought it might be of interest on this thread - around the next broadcast rights in the NFL for Thursday night football - including rights for online streaming.http://www.smh.com.au/sport/us-sports/why-bigtime-sport-and-the-internet-need-a-lot-of-work-before-live-streaming-to-30-million-people-becomes-a-reality-20151215-glof9t.htmlIt appears the technology for having a streaming solution to satisfy a huge viewing audience of sporting events still may be some way off.

[quote user="cornish sam"]As others have previously pointed out elsewhere, it''s not just about protecting attendences at the match that would be televised, it''s about protecting all attendences. How many kids would go with their dad to see a team like Carlisle united if they could sit at home, stay warm and dry and watch the man utd game instead? Streaming does offer that opportunity but I don''t think it''s quite as ubiquitous as some imagine....[/quote]With Koi carp swimming around the pitch just the other day I see what you mean....[:D]