Sign in to follow this  
The Bishop

Tettey and Mulumbu

Virtually every conceivable combination of central midfielders has been played apart from the most obvious one above.

These 2 in the middle of the field would strengthen our defence and allow the likes of Redmond and Brady more freedom to join the attacking third more quickly

I wonder why he hasn''t used this combination more?

And we were 1 Ruddy screw up away from a great result!

I personally would like us to take a more direct approach. We have the likes of Mbokani and Jerome that it would suit and simply put, we don''t have the class that other premiership teams have on the ball, so time and time again, we lose that battle.

Mulumbu and Tettey would be a great, strong defensive setup in the middle and with Redmond and Brady able to bomb forward and concentrate on putting balls in for Jerome and Mbokani, I think we''d be more effective.

Mulumbu has the energy to get involved further forward when needs be and Jerome has the energy to get back and support the midfield when needs be. I think it''d work.

I have no issues with both playing if we are going to sit and defend. I just think both players might struggle to get the ball out quickly enough to the wide players or be able to switch the play from one side to the other. I do like both players however they would certainly give us physicality in the centre of the park.

Thought Mulumbu in particular looked good in preseason, I think when we played Augsburg and he scored. He showed he could play a bit as well as battle.