Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

£15 or £20 million. Go get Charlie Austin

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="YorkshirePudding"]
Here''s why I wouldn''t want us to buy Austin:
1) Too expensive - we also need a CB with the seemingly limited funds we''re allowed to spend
2) Injury prone - Imagine spending say £15 million for him to spend most of the season on the bench?
3) He''s not a huge improvement on Mbokani - Mbokani has shown enough to warrant more appearances but hasn''t featured as much and the strikers in general haven''t been given great service.
[/quote]He is not expensive , in fact for a proven Prem scorer he is cheap Injury can happen to any player , what if we pay £15 million and he keeps us upHe is a massive improvement on Mbokani who cannot even get game time in the team at the moment , Austin can head a ball and has a good shot on him no evidence as yet that Mbokani can .[/quote]
That doesn''t mean that we should pay that amount, especially since we also need a CB. 
Yes, but he''s at a higher risk of getting an injury than others. 
Just because he hasn''t been played much doesn''t mean that he isn''t good enough, with game-time and service, Mbokani could definitely do a good enough job without risking that amount of money on one player

Do you not think if we had a striker at the club anywhere near as good as Austin Alex Neil would be playing him ? As for price we were supposed to have bid around 10 or 12 million for Afobe in the summer  that''s a young player with no top flight experience so surely if we could afford that another 2 or 3 million on Austin would be the better buy .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Do you not think if we had a striker at the club anywhere near as good as Austin Alex Neil would be playing him ? As for price we were supposed to have bid around 10 or 12 million for Afobe in the summer  that''s a young player with no top flight experience so surely if we could afford that another 2 or 3 million on Austin would be the better buy .[/quote]
No I don''t, AN likes to tinker a bit more than the average. Don''t get me wrong if we got Austin and a decent CB in January then I''d love it but I just don''t think it would happen anyway as I don''t think he''d want to be here, and also, I don''t think he suits our play that well.

I agree with what a lot of people say about us only being 2 hours from London even less by helicopter but I do remember him saying he wanted to stay in London. I think if we wanted him it would come down to two things. 1 money and 2 ambition of the club. The lack of number 1 would make his mind up on number 2. We need a striker but I don''t think he will be the one. We will have to take a risk on someone but with our league position I can''t see it being him.

modern footballers are mercenaries, he would come here if we paid him what hes after but if we are going to spend 15 -20 million it should be on a new centre back and new right backwe arent lacking in attacking intent, the problem weve got is when we do attack we havnt got any quality  at the back to cope with the counter attacks when it all goes wrong, and when howson and hoolahan give the ball away we need players with some brains at the back to deal with it, bassong is clearly a plank who panics at least once or twice a game and whittaker/martin/wisdom wouldnt make a good right back if we could merge them into one!!!we need a rock in the middle and a modern quick right back

Just to remind people despite having Charlie Austin ALL season QPR still got relegated. Chucking all our eggs in one basket would be utter lunacy.

Bournemouth have targeted 5 players in January, top 2 on that list are Ron Vlar & Charlie Austin. Both were also on their pre season shopping list, it was only when the Austin deal collapsed (wages) that they signed Murray & tried to sign Grabbon (paperwork didn''t get completed before deadline)

Austin lives 1hr 50min from Bournemouth so its an easy commute.

Having plenty of eggs in your basket is fine as long as those eggs are good enough , lets take a look at our striking eggs on the books Wolfswinkle , Hooper , Lafferty , Grabban , Jerome and Mbokani , thats plenty of eggs but the only one imo who could do a job in the top flight is Hooper . Quality over quantity has to be the way its up to the Board to get defenders ,strikers and midfielders that are good enough for the league we are playing in otherwise we all know what will happen .

the spine of the team is most important in a ideal world

a Cb Cm and a striker

CB we need a real brute to toughen up the back four

Cm someone with some flair can thread ball through make things up

anyone who can play upfront alone and still worry defends with pace power and score !!

can we get all that ? I don''t know but our scouts have had long enough now !

it will cost very good money to maybe 25 mil have we got that ?

Good player who I''d like to see here, but I''m not hopeful we''d get him as he seems quite settled and happy at QPR (and seems like a decent loyal player too who perhaps feels some responsibility to help get them back up again - same as a lot of our players did last season).

Investing in the defence is more important though I think - If we had a solid back 4 who could be relied upon, we would be more willing to press forward and create chances for the likes of Mbokani, who I still think is by far the best goalscorer we currently have but needs opportunities created for him whereas Jerome will work more to create his own opportunities but hasn''t got as great ability to finish them off.

Also, this ''Don''t want to move to Norwich'' thing is just an excuse to cover up the fact that other clubs are offering more money - No to Norwich, but you''re happy to live almost exactly the same distance from London in that delightful hotbed of culture, Leicester? Come off it. They just offered you more £££ to keep the bench warm and you''re fooling nobody.