Sign in to follow this  
havemyhowsonit

£15 or £20 million. Go get Charlie Austin

I don''t think we''ll get him for £15.But the board may be considering their customary derisory offer.He''s going to be very sought after this window I would imagine and would be amazed if he came anywhere near Norfolk sadly.

I think around 8 to 10 might get him I think a lot of clubs are put off by has he dodgy knees or not ?

its a gamble worth taking his knees look good enough to me !!

He has dodgy knees and would not pass a medical and that is the reason he has stayed at QPR and nobody from the Premier League rescued him from relegation during the summer.

He''d not want to come here (said earlier in he season that he turned a PL side down - whether it was us or not doesn''t really matter, if he''s turning sides down we''d not have a chance), would be far too expensive so I''d not actually want him (for the money we could get 2 decent players to help us stay up - even if we could afford him it would strike me as putting all our eggs in one basket). Apart from that, I agree with very one else.

Really can''t see him coming here. I reckon he''ll stay down south and go to another prem club. He may even stay at QPR until summer now that Hasselbaink is there

Til,

Bassong failed the medical because of his knees, but we still signed him!

I''ve wanted us to get him since he was playing for Swindon. Could see then that he was just a natural goalscorer.

If we could get rid of RVW, Hooper, Lafferty, Grabban and Mbokani just to get Austin in I''d go for it.

Slightly leftfield, but I wonder if we could pay £5m say and get him on loan until the end of the season? We could even stick a future fee in there for another £15m if we stay up.

Just a thought, it''s probably too ambitious but he wouldn''t count as a loan like Jarvis and Wisdom I don''t think as he''s not in the prem.

Realistically though, if we can get him on a financially viable deal, i''m all for it but I''m sure most of the other premiership clubs are too and would simply trump us if they caught wind of us agreeing any sort of deal with him.

Fact of the matter is, for whatever reason, we''re simply not that much of an attractive proposition for prospective signings compared to our rivals and this is what is costing us. People like Nathan Dyer turning us down to sit on Leicesters bench because he "doesn''t want to move to Norwich" is unfortunately a curse we are lumbered with.

Thinking about it, I do wonder if there''s a world class youngster out there we could loan for a bit like Bolton did with Sturridge and Wilshere that time?

Obviously we can''t get a prem one but we could go to the elite clubs like Barca and PSG etc and offer their youngsters a crack at top level football and who knows, they may just have the cutting edge we seemingly lack. They won''t be haunted with the threat of relegation and being stuck in the championship which is what would put Austin off us. Obviously this is a bit of a double edged sword though.

The likes of Sandro and Munir from Barca may be a tad ambitious but you never know now that Barca can add Turan and Vidal to their squad.

I don''t understand this I don''t want to live / play in Norwich rubbish

1 they can live anywhere in country and stay in Norwich when training / playing like some of our players do now

2 they would be 1st teamers maybe even the best player here

3 , London is only a couple of hours away

4 good for families coast etc ( hucks loved it wanted to stay )

as for Austin I think he was thinking a couple of clubs were after him but I think his knees have scared more teams off than he thinks and he is running out of PL teams to join

so we might be one of only a few PL clubs willing to take a chance

only thing is insurance will we be able to insure a player like that for injury ?

like I said his knees look fine not missing many games with them is he and scoring goals how many years has he got left playing ? I don''t know that but if he scored the goals to keep us up does it matter

Austin has missed about a third of this season so far with injury. No idea if the are linked but he has missed plenty of games.

Can''t believe anyone is suggesting we spend about a 5th of our annual turnover on one player. 15-20m is crazy money and that''s before wages. Unless they are willing to accept under 10m I can''t see us being interested.

Tettey''s Jig wrote; "Slightly leftfield, but I wonder if we could pay £5m say and get him on loan until the end of the season? We could even stick a future fee in there for another £15m if we stay up."

I believe he is out of contract in the summer, so I think he will go for less in January than would have done last summer, might be available for less than £10 million but would expect a bigger signing on fee, which could be another couple of million, which might make it difficult for most clubs to take a chance, which is why he never got a move in the summer.

I like the idea, he has done at PL, but think we will look elsewhere.

I was convinced he would come in the summer but was sadly mistaken.

Would like to see him here. We have to be making signings of his quality if we are to have any chance of sneaking survival.

Here''s why I wouldn''t want us to buy Austin:
1) Too expensive - we also need a CB with the seemingly limited funds we''re allowed to spend
2) Injury prone - Imagine spending say £15 million for him to spend most of the season on the bench?
3) He''s not a huge improvement on Mbokani - Mbokani has shown enough to warrant more appearances but hasn''t featured as much and the strikers in general haven''t been given great service.

[quote user="YorkshirePudding"]
Here''s why I wouldn''t want us to buy Austin:
1) Too expensive - we also need a CB with the seemingly limited funds we''re allowed to spend
2) Injury prone - Imagine spending say £15 million for him to spend most of the season on the bench?
3) He''s not a huge improvement on Mbokani - Mbokani has shown enough to warrant more appearances but hasn''t featured as much and the strikers in general haven''t been given great service.
[/quote]He is not expensive , in fact for a proven Prem scorer he is cheap Injury can happen to any player , what if we pay £15 million and he keeps us upHe is a massive improvement on Mbokani who cannot even get game time in the team at the moment , Austin can head a ball and has a good shot on him no evidence as yet that Mbokani can .

The notion that just spaffing £20m on one player will keep is up is ridiculous.

At the moment, we''re a relegation waiting to happen - we don''t score enough and we ship too many goals. We need to therefore strengthen at both ends of the pitch. We can''t do both if we spend that much on one player. So forget Austin and his dodgy knees, he''s not coming.

£15 million for a striker in this league is chicken feed if you bring in cheap you get what we have now 4 or 5 strikers on the books and not one of them anywhere near good enough . We should decide if we want to be a top flight club or not .

Sky Sports are reporting that Austin has said he won''t leave QPR in January, despite his contract having only 6 months left.