Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

One touch finishing/Forbes/Practising

Interesting reading about Adrian Forbes saying he wished he worked harder in training, thinking he''d made it while Bellamy was still staying behind to practice. Maybe some of our players think they''ve made it too, and aren''t putting in that extra bit of personal dedication that leads to excellence. Or maybe they are...

...It seems to be that reactive, one touch finish that has been letting us down this season. Mbokani seems to be the only forward player capable of doing it, as we''ve seen Jerome, Grabban and Wes scuff those chances. We don''t seem to be expecting the ball to come to us in those positions, maybe they need to work on this specifically. I''m sure Alex Neil is aware and doesn''t need my help, just an observation of a trend.

I''m sure the strikers are all training hard. They just aren''t good enough for this level. We knew all this last summer. Both needed replacing with quality. It didn''t happen and here we are.

The question is, what''s the difference between finding yourself unmarked at the back post and smashing it first time into the net in the Championship and the Premier League? Pressure? The goal is still the same size, as the Messiah used to say...

Hampstead, the main difference is number of occurrences. Jerome still had some howlers last season but he got more chances to make it right.

Also, time on the ball may be a factor as well. If he''s got 3 seconds to make his mind up for a chance last season, he''s probably got a second or so less this season.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Interesting reading about Adrian Forbes saying he wished he worked harder in training, thinking he''d made it while Bellamy was still staying behind to practice. Maybe some of our players think they''ve made it too, and aren''t putting in that extra bit of personal dedication that leads to excellence. Or maybe they are...

...It seems to be that reactive, one touch finish that has been letting us down this season. Mbokani seems to be the only forward player capable of doing it, as we''ve seen Jerome, Grabban and Wes scuff those chances. We don''t seem to be expecting the ball to come to us in those positions, maybe they need to work on this specifically. I''m sure Alex Neil is aware and doesn''t need my help, just an observation of a trend.[/quote]Back in the day, we used to practice that.  Especially, trying to be in the right place in and around the box.  Where the ball might drop and from rebounds, saves etc etc

TJ yes that''s true, but I was really thinking about those instinctive finishes where the ball just drops to you. I''m sure there''s no difference apart from them being few and far between. I guess it just seems to be a common problem for us, that type of finish.

It happens to every team in every game. Watch the highlights. No striker bangs home every sitter. Surprisingly many go begging. It''s just how it is.

What makes a big difference is how many real opportunities they help create. That seems to be where we are lacking.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]Interesting reading about Adrian Forbes saying he wished he worked harder in training, thinking he''d made it while Bellamy was still staying behind to practice........ [/quote]The truth is that however much Adrian Forbes trained he was never going to be in the same class as Bellamy.That''s life.