Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Will Redmond ever....

live up to expectations?

This is a lad of who we all had big expectations of.

We lived hearing that he was young and still learning for a very long time , correctly so in the early days.

But I am beginning to wonder if he will ever reach the level we had all hoped for.

Great turn of speed, can go past any defender on his day, but then it all goes wrong.

Yesterday I find it hard to recall when he even switched on his after burners.

One is beginning to wonder if Murphy will one day overtake Nathan in ability? This is not to knock him by any means, but perhaps he needs extra coaching by Hucks?

The expectations of redmond are ludicrous

Our top goal scorer, only wes is more creative and he carries a genuine threat.

He is streets ahead of the murphys. Hucks comparisons are both good and bad - hucks had that experience redmond does not and it was easier for him to look head and shoulders above the rest of his squad. This season the one area of strength we DO have is attacking midfielders with Brady, Wes and Redmond all performing well and doing their creative bit.

He is inconsistent (but so is Brady - who in terms of this season was quiet for the second successive game) and seems to suffer from over thinking - probably trying to process all the advice he gets and ensure he isnt perceived at getting it wrong.

Yesterday showed brady wes redmond have to start game in game out to me. Support them all

I agree to an extent that the fans expectations of him are ridiculous at times. For instance in the first half he beat a couple of defenders but without support had to take a shot from a difficult angle which he missed. THe reaction of the people around me though was like he''d missed a sitter, totally ignoring all the good build up.

However we then have the moment towards the end when him and Jerome get 2 on 2 and Redmond plays an absolutely terrible pass straight to the keeper- that sort of thing is hugely frustrating to watch.

it does seem like a case of one rule for one, that pass from redmond was no less frustrating than the similar effort / situation from wes, who when well placed for a shot (although on his standing foot) decided to try a chipped pass that funes mori comfortably cut out, wasting a better option. The negative reaction didnt happen yet he is the more experienced player.

Frustrating but talented, he is part of the trinity to build our attacking play around.

Zipper,

I think one of the reasons that Wes possibly gets less stick is that he gives 100% all the time, I''m afraid from what I saw of young Redmond yesterday (in particular but not solely), he doesn''t, Wes never gives up the chase, sometimes NR doesn''t even get off the blocks. That in itself creates a state of mind in supporters.

Unfortunately I am beginning to wonder if Redmond will ever quite be the player some people think he is - supporters of other sides continually talk him up, but on seeing him the flesh some of my mates are much more ''meh'' about him. There comes a time when you have to consistently realise the potential and he just doesn''t quite do it; after all, he''s played nigh-on 100 games for us, so we have had a good look at him. You look at the guy for Everton who is a similar age and who goes past players as if they aren''t there, delivering a good ball into the box, and there''s no comparison. I am coming to the conclusion that we maybe ought to cash in while his stock seems to be (IMO a little unjustifiably) high.

Remember how clueless Theo Walcott was at Redmonds age. He will be a very good player and we need to do everything to hold onto him.

.....unless they offer us ridiculous money e.g. £16m

I have not seen Redmond''s final ball or decision making improve since he first joined us. Hugely frustrating and I would cash him in for a less "flashy" player who can do the basics of passing to team mates and making good decisions with the ball.

Expectations are not ludicrous. I expect him to pass to team mates and create chances, and he simply doesn''t do this enough.

Did you miss last season and the start of this season?

If you want a less flashy winger who can do the basics we may as well put O''Neil there who used to play there.

That just isn''t true Bor- he''s created the third most chances of any player in our team. Yes his passing is poor at times but one thing you can''t accuse him of is not creating chances.

Hoolahan has been involved in more goals than Redmond. However, losing Redmond would be a massive hit to us. I agree in some scenario''s he has to work a bit harder in a team such as ours but generally speaking i''ve been quite pleased with him this season.

Blessed with natural football ability, but to make further progress needs to develop a football brain. I do not go along with the comments that he is only 21. He has had plenty of regular first team football but needs to become more involved and certainly improve his commitment and work ethic.

To be one of the best wingers in the championship at his age is not a bad thing, in fact it''s impressive. He''s by no means the finished article, but he had a great start to the season. Hopefully he can rediscover that form.

Perhaps you''d prefer Agbonlahor or Sinclair in our team.

He has plenty of end product and has shown improvements in his decision making. Still a long way to go as most players won''t mature for another 4 or 5 years and add more consistency to their game. As for him not improving since his first season a quick comparison of end product over the two seasons will shows how he is going the right way.

2013/14 2015/16

Goals scored 1 4

Chances created 34 24

Assists 3 1

Our highest chances created is Brady with 28 and he also has one assist and just one goal. This is with more minutes on the pitch too. So I ask why is Brady not being criticised for end product when factually he has produced less than Redmond?

Indeed, I''ve always wanted to be ''that'' prick who cries ''Scapegoat.'' (when actually instead someone just has a different opinion to mine about a player)

I do feel a bit sorry for him at times as he seems to have a very short leash with AN as well- seems to be the first person sacrificed or dropped if we want to change style, would like him to get a solid run of games starting.

Brady does offer more as an all round player though- his link up play is great and his final ball is better. Plus his ability to track back does allow Olsson a chance to get forward.

What probably frustrates people is that Redmond does often get into dangerous positions, does beat defenders and does make rooms for shots.  It''s just that his decision-making and execution of the vital pass/cross can be lacking.What we should also add is the club should have another right midfielder who is not just pushing him for his place, but perhaps someone he can learn from.

brady standards have dropped the last couple of game and has not been so influential - and brady has plenty of good final balls but also plenty more worse ones - so overall I dont think that his final ball is better (hasnt brady got the prem lead in the most failed crosses so far this season?)

Brady & Redmond are on a par creatively - brady better defensively and so all round too - as some else pointed out redmond has created more chances than brady with much less pitch time.

As far as olsson being encouraged forward is that really a good thing? leaves huge gaps behind him and his crossing quality is atrocious - the sooner jarvis is fit to allow brady to replace olsson the better, esp after another defensive horror show from MO yesterday.

We do lack depth out wide- the injury to Jarvis has meant if we can''t really freshen things on the wings and Elliott Bennett just isn''t good enough for this league.

@Zipper- Brady has actually created more chances than Redmond, although that is to be expected with the time he''s spent on the pitch.

Can''t understand what you mean about a horror show from Olsson- apart from that clearance he seemed pretty good to me.

He really isn''t very good. I watch him regularly and he is very ineffective. I''m not sure what people see in him. I don''t think he is a winger. Play him down the middle off a central striker.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]

Perhaps you''d prefer Agbonlahor or Sinclair in our team.[/quote]

No thanks.

Nathan Dyer though.

Yesterday Redmond had three good chances to put Redmond in and cocked each one up. If Bassong is a 50p head then Redmond is a 20p foot.

[quote user="Bor"][quote user="mrs miggins"]

Perhaps you''d prefer Agbonlahor or Sinclair in our team.[/quote]

No thanks.

Nathan Dyer though.

Yesterday Redmond had three good chances to put Redmond in and cocked each one up. If Bassong is a 50p head then Redmond is a 20p foot.[/quote]Passing to himself ?.....no wonder there''s no end product [;)]