Sign in to follow this  
Helsinki canary

Helveg gone

Just saw on the official site that he has gone to Borussia Dortmund - not surprised - he never fullfilled his potential at Carrow Road - another gap to fill.....

They also got a fee for him 200000 euros rising to 250000. Every little helps.

[quote]Just saw on the official site that he has gone to Borussia Dortmund - not surprised - he never fullfilled his potential at Carrow Road - another gap to fill.....[/quote]

Damn it, Noooooooooooooo!.   

he was ok. but at times he was a bit lazy, not really lazy, but i just dont think he cared as much as other players for the club and wouldnt die for the club if you get me. (obviously i dont expect everyone to die for the club but i just mean commitment).

Id much prefer Taylor. PLeeeassse buy him !

Can''t say I''m particularly bothered. He had experience but was not as good as I expected. He was also probably one of the bigger earners at the club.

He was also nothing but trouble......but that''s just for me on Championship Manager!!!

Well there he goes then, sad move that, but with Sven''s fee that gives Worthy about a quarter million quid to play with, now who can we buy for that ?

A bit cheap AJ?? I think we are lucky to be getting a fee at all, considering he came to us on a free, and he''s a year older now.

He showed glimpses of being the quality player he is (Liverpool at home he ran the show), but at the same point he made some suicidal passes. He must be one of our highest earners, so I''m not to dissapointed to see him leave.

All the best Thommo

[quote]A bit cheap AJ?? I think we are lucky to be getting a fee at all, considering he came to us on a free, and he''s a year older now. He showed glimpses of being the quality player he is (Liverpool at ho...[/quote]

its called sarcasm robbo!

£135k is a brilliant amount for him, not bad at all, and it goes into the kitty for worthy to spend.

So everyones happy - and we get rid of helveg!

Now we need to sign someone like taylor to be our right-back. Although Luis-jean will be happy that he is currently number 1 choice at right back.

No great surprise. Glad we got at least some cash for him. While he redeemed himself in part at the end of last season, I still feel he has to go down as one of Worthy''s poorer signings.

Good decision on several points, some cash up front, reduction in the wage bill, decision made early giving club time to find a replacement to bed in, sends a message to other players who underperform that Norwich will ship them out irrespective of their ''name''. Good management Nige!

Helveg certainly divided opinion on this board.

Personally, I was not swayed by his pedigree (there have been plenty of international flops before) and the fact that we seemed to have little competition for his signature was some indication of the opinion of other Premiership managers (there didn''t seem to be much of a queue for him this time either!).

The fee of 135,000 puts in perspective his true value.

p.s. and how come when there''s speculation of long serving Green''s departure he''s encouraged by some to ''sod off'' but Helveg jumping ship is greeted by disappointment ?

Couln''t we have offered 2 for the price of 1 and cashed in on another overrated Scandinavian ?

Agreed Fatman.
We need another right back sharpish. Let''s hope its a quality youngster.
Other than that, like most I''m not too bothered about Helveg. It''s just a shame that he might have been so much better, instead of being distinctly average in nearly every game.

Helveg never looked interested to me and that''s probably why Nigel took so long to play him much- he probably saw that on the training ground.

I think he came with the "I''m Captain of Denmark" attitude, found no one gave a toss and that he would have to work for his place and then realised he couldn''t cope. That "tackle" on Giggs against Man Utd right at the start of the season showed he was way off the pace.

It was only at the end of the season that we saw some glimpses of what he could do and I thought he could bed down a place and be a bit of a hero for us.

Shame, I was very happy when I heard we had got him but another one who sadly proved to be more reputation than reality.

Gutted!! Big man management mistake by Worthy. Should have played Thomas in a lot more games. Why oh why did he insist on playing a full squad in the cup game against wet sham? That cost us dearly as well with both Helveg and Bents getting relatively long term injuries. We''ll be lucky to hold onto the only scando left now, as him Matty S and Thomas were always out together.

Cheers Thomas, sorry we don''t have a manager who could work out how good you were. Great run in the last six games, shame it wasn''t longer, good luck in Germany where you''ll probably be appreciated.

I think Helveg probably had one good game for us - I was not an Eddy fan, but I certainly don''t think Helveg was an improvement.  He was the worst passer of the ball I have seen at the club for a long time and would get caught out trying to do the showy stuff rather than getting rid of the ball.

Another £135K (poss £170K) into the club from a free transfer signing - good business.

Agreed we need a quality right back, but Worthy knows this and it will happen.

Surely we must have more than 250k to spend given the money we received from the parahute payment and recent tranfer fees?

While I agree that in many ways we were lucky to get money for Helveg since he came on a free and undoubtedly had various clauses in his contract about leaving if we got relegated, I don''t believe we''ve come off very well from this one.

I''ve never been a huge fan of Helveg and have been slightly disappointed by his performances - however I believe he would have been very good in the Champ for a year. Ok he could then have left for nothing but £134 000 isn''t enough to have worried about that!!! The reason I believe we have come off worse from the deal is because we now need a new right back and there''s no way we could buy a quality one, esp one of Helveg''s experience and quality for £134 000. We are going to have to spend lots of money now on a new player here when that could have been used elsewhere or saved for Jan in case we are struggling.

I would be delighted if we signed Ryan Taylor but I''m not sure we will atract him or pay the money. I''m worried we will sign another champ standard right back like Louis-Jean. I think the best scenario would have been another year out of Helveg then hopefully winning promotion would have enabled us to attract a first rate player here for next season!!!

[quote]Norwich originally wanted 500,000 Euros for him. However much that is...[/quote]

Pete, According to the on-line "Universal Currency Converter", 500,000 euros is equivalent to £339,000 and 94p(the pennies are important). I had another look at the conversion a few seconds later and the valuation had changed to £338,924 and 39p. So now you know - get on at the right time and make a killing. Provided you have 500,000 euros to spare, of course.

You seem to be taking this all very calmly Pete. You realise you will have to change your avatar?

That''s because I''m still in mourning and dressed all in black Kathy.

On a serious note, I knew he was off as soon as the final whistle blew at Craven Cottage - if there''s any chance of him leading his country out at next year''s World Cup then Olsen made it quite clear that he had to move on and that''s why I don''t begrudge him leaving us as it''s a dream any footballer would aspire to.

The avatar shall remain - it''s not every day a player of Helveg''s stature wishes you Happy Birthday.

Alex

You''re assuming that Helveg actually wanted to be here and would have played well. There is little evidence to support either. So while you are quite right that £134K will not buy another player of the calibre that Helveg is (ALLEGEDLY) capable of being, its not bad considering that he would have wandered around looking disinterested and just draining our resources.

So all in all its probably not a bad result for both parties.

Better to have a fully committed free transfer coming in than a bloke who doesn''t give a stuff.

I will buck the trend and say a fond farewell to the Dane - not that it will surprise any of you.

It was a joy to see a player who knew what defending was about rather than impersonting a park dog chasing the ball around the pitch; positional sense and an ability to read the game were two of his qualities.  My big regret is that Worthy ignored and wasted him until the manure game when Helveg did more to falsely raise our hopes of survival (with Safri) than the introduction of Ashton or Shacks.  If we had 4 players who could defend like him we would have survived.

My memories will be of crunching tackles (tackle count significantly higher last season than most city players despite restricted appearances and when did Flem, Eddy, Damo or Holt last make one or committ to a 50/50??), beautiful cynical professional defending, that awesome display against liverpool and his committment.  I particularly recall the newcastle game;  Kluivert has just equalised and itlooks like all hope of avoiding the drop has gone.  The breaks on the edge of our box but with 9 dead heads facing the grounds there looks like there is no hope deep into injury time - yet this ageing money grabbing uncommitted defending foreigner has burst forward like eddy at his best (who was always best when in our opponents half!) and with more energy than all his team mates combined - he found space and sent a glorious cross onto the head of the only other moving city shirt who exceeded the quality of thomas'' cross with that headed goal.

Even his departure is good news  - £135k in todays limited transfer fees (Roman excepted) is a good deal for a 33 yo with only a year left on hs contract.

Good luck Thomas - I enjoyed your displays even though we did not seen the best of you; I hope you do well in germany, earning us some more cash; and qualify for the world cup (so good to see a player who wants to succeed for his country rather than takes caps for granted) , so that we can then knock you out!

Farewell - and thanks for all the fish.

OTBC