Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Tettey

Just seen the second goal and Tettey was superb. His speed of foot won the ball in midfield, then a super run to get in position to score.  Excellent - as was Jerome to provide the pass.  Great play from Jerome for the first goal too.  

Tettey has been pretty woeful imo this season and even this game the first half hour again his passing was diabolical, but once we scored it seemed to lift everyone (obviously) but particularly Tettey and he didnt look back after that. Great performance, hope its the start of a turnaround for him :)

[quote user="Spillay"]Tettey has been pretty woeful imo this season....[/quote]I just don''t agree with you. Much better player than he''s given credit for.

Tettey''s passing isn''t great, we all know that, however he looked a different player in the second half. It''s a common feature of the NCFC of recent years that once we score we look like a different team! Amazing what a bit of confidence can do

He''s been a bit variable this season, but still an invaluable player to disrupt the opposition. He was off his game for the first 20 mins. or so (as they all were - I''ve never seen a team hit clearances against their own players so repetitively), but suddenly he started popping up in support of the attack, & once he''d had a shot at goal, he improved a lot, even to the point of taking on (& beating!) opposition players.

If you watch, it was his excellent ball through to (I think) Redmond that started the first goal.

I had to go out at 4 p.m., so missed his goal, but looking forward to MOTD tonight!!

Terrible in the first half hour, picked up well, and was very good in the second half.

But his passing....wayward and rather slow. Still, a very useful player for us, but as a central midfielder, he is generally pretty limited. Still, his qualities suits certain type of games.

And yet picked ahead of Mulumbu. Interesting.

Tettey does a huge amount off the ball and while his distribution isn''t the best he is out best destructive player.

I like Tettey, I like his attitude and his determination. Took his goal really well and I''m pleased for him. I just wish he had a forward pass to his game and didn''t concede possession so often.

[quote user="JF"]I like Tettey, I like his attitude and his determination. Took his goal really well and I''m pleased for him. I just wish he had a forward pass to his game and didn''t concede possession so often.[/quote]

To be fair if he did those things he''d be at a much bigger club.

The will-to-win, drive & determination Tettey showed for the second goal shows what we CAN do! Running from his own half, he was so exhausted all he could muster was a toe-punt finish. But finish he did; and that''s the difference between a gallant loser & a true winner. AN seems pleased with him - lets hope he keeps it up!

Unashamedly, I''ve always really rated Alex Tettey. He''s been a great signing for us and does plenty of work that is often, not intentionally, missed. As someone pointed out, were his decision making and use of possession better, he''d be playing at a Champions League club. His work and discipline when NOT in possession are why he starts so many games and is seen as such a vital cog for us.

And now he finishes like Michael Owen too...

Turned out to be a bit or a bargain. Can be frustrating that he often needs 3 or 4 touches before making a pass when one or two will do which can slow down play but he is very good at breaking it up.

I''ve said it before that I think he''s the best defensive midfielder we''ve had at City for 20 years. This was before Mulumbu arrived but he still hasn''t displaced Tettey as the starter in that position. I can remember when Mike Milligan was our mainstay in that position. Tettey is a class player.

He''s been a bit variable this season eg it was his poor performance in the first half against Watford that was the biggest factor in us losing there. But much of the criticism on here is absurd and yesterday he showed what he can do against a team that have hardly conceded any goals at home.

Confidence is a strange and powerful thing. Looked nervous in the first 25 but then cleverly turned in the midfield to spurn a chance at goal wide. Suddenly his approach to the game changed and he was involved in the buildup to our first. The second was a great display of a box to box midfielder which is something Tettey does very little. I''m not sure if he fluffed his shot or if it was a genuine outfox of De Gea but I''d love to see him do that more often.

Confidence is everything. Just look at Leicester!

I haven''t seen malumbu play live yet so excluding him. Tettey is the one defensive midfielder who knows that job and holds the position.

I also feel that sometimes he wants to keep the ball when there is nothing on for him so holds the ball waiting for movement ahead of him and this is why he gets caught in possession.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Just seen the second goal and Tettey was superb. His speed of foot won the ball in midfield, then a super run to get in position to score.  Excellent - as was Jerome to provide the pass.  Great play from Jerome for the first goal too. [/quote]
Overall I think Tettey and Jerome have been good this season. The claim Tettey was woeful is so wide of the mark it''s crazy.