Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

It's not surprising we are "little Norwich".....

.....when our own papers cover a victory over Man Utd like we have won the Champions League. All this, " memorable result" rubbish. We''re not exactly in League One are we? Bournemouth beat them last week; we have drawn with Arsenal; we beat Arsenal, Man Utd & Man City 3 seasons ago.

Was it really that surprising? If we always treat ourselves with such disdain how can we criticise others for doing so?

This is a very poor quality Premier League, and the gap between top and bottom is as small as it has ever been because everyone can afford £10m players now, and there isn''t as much difference between a £10m player and a £30m player as there is between £1m and £30m. So obviously it is going to be more competitive.

It''s lovely to beat United at Old Trafford - but no more surprising for me than beating Spurs or Arsenal.

Now beating Liverpool, even without Suarez, would be sweet though.

It was a memorable result.
We beat Manchester United at Old Trafford for the first time since 1989.
I don''t care how weak you think the PL is, we went away to Old Trafford and beat a team with De Gea, Mata, Rooney etc in it - and deservedly beat them.
It was surprising. Look at the coverage in any of the national Sunday papers.  Look at why we were first on Match of the Day for the first time in ages.
If you can''t enjoy it or be pleasantly surprised then your standards are ridiculously high and you will always be disappointed (in which case, you''ll fit in well here) or you are just trolling for effect (in which case, you''ll fit in well here).

It''s always a big result to win at Old Trafford. It''s not little old norwich to recognise that.

I''ll tell you what''s a little club mentality - you don''t get any littler than losing there 9-0...

There is a modicum of  sense in what the op says.  A friend of mine who is a proper ManUtd supporter said before the match that he wouldn''t be at all surprised if we won.  So why should we be surprised?  Utd really struggling, us with a good performance against Everton last week  and good performances against Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea - the writing was on the wall.   It was still a great result, don''t get me wrong and it is special, but we shouldn''t behave as if it is some kind of giant killing, because it isn''t.

"Norwich are never going to win the league, but they turn up every week, the pr1cks"

........said Super Hans on the last ever Peep Show. Delia reference too.

Like Jerome said , not that surprising given recently performances

But still a big upset for a team in the relegation zone to go and win at old Trafford- it''s naive to think otherwise. Until yesterday they''d only conceded one goal at home.

I really don''t understand why some people are falling over themselves to somehow downplay this.Its a great result.

I don''t think anyone does see it as giant killing. If they do then that is little old norwich. It''s a great achievement. A bigger achievement than winning at Sunderland. But just to be clear both clubs are in the premier league on merit.

I''m 23. I''d never seen norwich beat United at old Trafford until now.

I think I''ll enjoy it now, and remember it later on in life. Is that alright with you?

P.s - maybe if you team up with Grefstad to start a joint thread you might be able to get a few ncfc fans to top themselves before Christmas, which I''m sure would be a statistical achievement for you best.

Personally I''m not convinced it''s just our own mentality that makes other teams consider us "little". I would suggest it''s probably some of the below facts which led to the surprise of the result:

- We were playing at Old Trafford a stadium holding 75k+ fans when we have a ground that holds 28k

- Man Utd were disappointed to get knocked out of the group stage of the Champions League this season and having the humiliation of playing in the knock-out stages of the Europa League on a Thursday night, we still see getting to the 3rd round of the Uefa cup 20+ years ago as the pinnacle of our clubs history.

- We''ve only ever won a couple of league cups in the eightes where Man Utd have won the Champions League twice, the League 18 odd times

- Man Utd had a £26m and £36m international strikers with a £35m World Cup winning midfielder in their starting line-up (to name a few big signings) where as our star player is a £7m summer signing who didn''t make the grade at Man Utd (and our goalscorer was a Stoke reject).

None of this means we can''t beat Man Utd as we clearly did, but you can see where the "little Norwich" comes from when comparing the two surely?

Holtcantshoot, i would also add, in addition to your relative points, that the wages for Rooney and Matta are greater than our entire squad,they are paid (reportedly) in excess of 600k per week between them, more than 100k more than our team.

So little old Norwich may just be fact.

Great result. It still equals only three points, and our gal is simply staying up.

I can enjoy this win and move on quickly to spurs, because if we do not stay up this year it does not matter who we lost or beat. So glad that we celebrate and take this on to the Boxing Day fixture.

But let''s move on and build,it''s all about safety. So time to move on and plan the next two games, pick up 3-4 key new additions to the squad and move for our ultimate goal and reason to celebrate which is being in this league next season.

But still feels good beating those Red Devils, the result at cr with Ashton and Mckenzie was great. With SAF keeping ronaldo and Rooney on the bench.

But the time for me to celebrate is when the job is done in may

lake district canary wrote:

''us with a good performance against Everton last week'' 

That performance was very far from good. In fact it was probably the worst 45 mins I have seen a team dish up in Premier League history. We improved moderately second half but please don''t brand that performance good. The result was good.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m 23. I''d never seen norwich beat United at old Trafford until now.

I think I''ll enjoy it now, and remember it later on in life. Is that alright with you?

P.s - maybe if you team up with Grefstad to start a joint thread you might be able to get a few ncfc fans to top themselves before Christmas, which I''m sure would be a statistical achievement for you best.[/quote]

Trust me, young and somewhat bewildered Hog. I''m 42 and remember the win in 89 well. But I don''t go around sucking the feeling all day. It''s a result, it''s done, dusted, and yes, it is now.....statistics!!

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="hogesar"]I''m 23. I''d never seen norwich beat United at old Trafford until now.

P.s - maybe if you team up with Grefstad to start a joint thread you might be able to get a few ncfc fans to top themselves before Christmas, which I''m sure would be a statistical achievement for you best.[/quote]

Trust me, young and somewhat bewildered Hog. I''m 42 and remember the win in 89 well. But I don''t go around sucking the feeling all day. It''s a result, it''s done, dusted, and yes, it is now.....statistics!![/quote]

42? Wow! That''s a stat that''s hard to believe, you must wise beyond your age for the amazing stuff you keep coming out with.

To some extent I agree with the OP. When we beat United in Feb 67 in the FA Cup 2-1 at Old T, now there was a giant-killing by a ''little team'' that even warranted a civic reception at the time! However, since then we have come a long way, nearly winning the League in the early-90s, winning the League Cup twice but, more importantly, viewed by most realistic football fans across the country (apart from 1p5wich) as a team that should either be in the Prem or at least in the top half of the Championship. The win was a great win and always worth over-celebrating but it was not ''miraculous''!