Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Lack of guts and nous last 15-20 mins

Borh Arsenal and Everton were winnable games in the final 15, but we consolidated and took the point, instead of going for all 3.

Arsenal were tired due to Europe, Everton played on Monday with 2 days less rest. Still, we did not properly go for the win once we had the draw. We dont score late goals anymore.

Its down to poor fitness levels and maybe instructions/caution.

Most of all, I think we dont have the fitness to push the last 20 mins.

Maybe you could provide the data from our sports scientists and compare it to all the other teams data to illustrate how our fitness levels are so poor.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?

Not "pushing" to the end. Maybe more in the Arsenal game, but not vs Everton.

And yes, stats show Norwich running fewer meters than any other team in this division. No coincidence we are not scoring late goals anymore. The team lacks fitness. Obvious to all but to the ignorants, ofcourse.

Soon AN will admit fitness levels are not good enough. 4 months after some of us saw it first.

I think AN knows his team is lacking legs, and is more cautious near the end of games due to this fact.

The club should clearly be employing you then-you have seen something four months ago from hundreds of miles away that the qualified sports scientists cannot see when they are with the players every day in training. They should be sacked immediately.

How many metres did Cameron Jerome run, worked his nuts off for the full 90 mins, Wessie was full of running (I believe he beats the "beep test" in training) and only came off as he looked to have a slight injury. My impression was not of a team whose legs had gone and as I say we were pushing to end, but then I was sitting 10ft from the edge of the pitch at the end we were attacking so what would I know.......

So you can see more from hundreds of miles away than AN can see from yards away? My God, you''re amazing.

[quote user="grefstad"]Not "pushing" to the end. Maybe more in the Arsenal game, but not vs Everton.

And yes, stats show Norwich running fewer meters than any other team in this division. No coincidence we are not scoring late goals anymore. The team lacks fitness. Obvious to all but to the ignorants, ofcourse.

Soon AN will admit fitness levels are not good enough. 4 months after some of us saw it first.

I think AN knows his team is lacking legs, and is more cautious near the end of games due to this fact.[/quote]
Really? I presumed that his cautious approach to the end of games was probably a response to the public, and brutal mauling we got against Newcastle when we went for it. Which was nothing to do with fitness and everything to do with players in the Premier league punishing you if they get a chance... Against Ozil et al at Arsenal, and having ridden our luck against numerous missed chances (not to mention a player in Lukaku''s form missing so many as he did yesterday and sheer law of averages suggesting if he got many more he would bury them) do you really expect AN to go gung ho knowing that one mistake from our utterly error-prone team will cost us the point we have "in the bag" at that stage. I would bet my house on you being the first one on here criticising him if we''d gone for it and got beat.
Obviously the most logical answer is wrong though, in face of the full might of some half-witted theory. I agree that the running least in the Prem stat is of concern, but if our squad are so unfit they can''t play a full 90, why did Alex only use one sub and not the full complement he had yesterday?

To add to my above post, I do think we went for it, just tempered with a bit of moderation rather than going "Full Lambert"... when I refer to cautious approach, I don''t mean negative, I just mean not sticking 4 up front which is what Grefstad seems to think we should be doing.

I know there''s not much happening in Norway at this time of year but the OP should really find something better to do with his time...perhaps go running around like a headless chicken for 90 minutes and push really hard for the last 20?

Apples

The stupidity in this forum continues to amaze me. Did Bournemouth consolidate their "draws" at Chelsea and vs ManU? No, they smelled blood and got their rewards.

We dont smell blood. We do "a Hughton", too often for my liking.

We will not survive on fucking draws, and the ignorants in this forum seem to think NcFC "sport scientists" got the answer.

Bournemouth run most of all teams. Coincidence that they beat both Chelsea and ManU?

I repeat my observations: we lack smartness on the pitch (even AN says this), and we lack fitness/running power to stay the distance in the games.

What a charmer you are grefstad. I am an ignorant because I disagree with your ridiculous posts? What makes you think that you know more than the sports scientists who do regular testing with the players and see them daily in training? Why don''t you send your CV to the club?

I mean using Bournemouth vs United as an example is pretty irrelevant when they scored in the 54th minute.
In case you didn''t know, that''s not the last 20 minutes of a game.
Oh, and I was actually at Carrow Road (fyi Grefstad, that''s the name of our stadium). Our best chance of the game came in the final 20 minutes, which again pretty much renders everything you''ve said as bollox. This is relatively normal for you though, and I think i''ve found out where you''re going wrong.
You seem to almost follow the below logic correctly:
1) Make your point
2) Use evidence which helps to substantiate that point
3) Use further evidence to back up your point against those who disagree
Your issue, unfortunately, is that more often than not, you choose to use evidence which contradicts the point you''re making. Granted, it''s only one mistake in a 3-step scenario, but it''s a rather large one.

Of all the people we could have picked up as a fan from Norway, a prosperous, positive, happy and forward thinking country of over 5 million, we get lumbered with Grefstad. Typical Norwich.

My dear fellow posters, I''d just like to take a minute to re-assure you all that you''re not stupid.The use of selective statistics, stating the obvious and repeating the manager does not make you a tactical genuis but the belief it does makes you a dreadful bore.

[quote user="Herman "]Of all the people we could have picked up as a fan from Norway, a prosperous, positive, happy and forward thinking country of over 5 million, we get lumbered with Grefstad. Typical Norwich.[/quote]
[:D]

I agree about the "lack of nous."

All to often in the final third our decision making and final ball was terrible.

We could quite easily have had 3 or 4 clear goals scoring opportunities if the final ball was better, or if we we''re able to be more composed.

Redmond in particular, made some awful decisions.

We have to learn to be more ruthless. Or we need to find a couple of players who have ruthlessness in their locker.

The lack of nous seems to be in the first half of recent games, not thw final 15 minutes. It seems the nous was cranked up with some half time strategizing as we played the final 45 minutes with nous pouring out of our collective rear ends. This new nous very nearly (nously?) resulted in a winning goal.

I just wish we knew new nous for the whole game. Don''t get me started on guts!

[quote user="lincoln canary"]. Or we need to find a couple of players who have ruthlessness in their locker.[/quote]

I like this new transfer policy, only sign a player after he has had the contents of his locker checked, the ruthlessness is sometimes found behind the Nivea for men moistioriser.

The second half was fine yesterday.  Jerome simply failed to convert the chance for a winner when it arrived.  It was the first half where the team''s flaws were shown up (Rudd apart).I can''t see any evidence of fitness being a problem. If fitness was an issue, it would be repeatedly evident in the latter stages of games where opposition teams would inevitably overrun Norwich. However, this does not happen.

Looked to me we went for it versus Everton but we didn''t have the quality on the ball to break down the vulnerable looking Everton backline. Perhaps if the board weren''t so tight, we''d have the personnel to win games like that.

I may have explained my thoughts a bit poorly, but what I tried to say is that we lack player(s) who smell blood, who smell when the other team is railong, and who urges us forward when the chance is there to be exploited. We lack AN''s prolonged arm on the pitch.

Thats likely why we "never" see sustained Norwich pressure near end of games anymore (that, and my theory of lack of fitness).

Remember the Lambert era? It was bang on Norwich would dominate the last 10-15 mins, nearly every game.

Why are we not even trying with proper gusto now? Got to be ability (fitness mainly) as I refuse to believe AN would settle for draws in many of the games we have drawn ( Stoke, we did try, in fairness).

We observe only this weekend Newcastle going for it at the end at Tottenham. Bournemouth did not hold back at Chelsea last week (but we would, if 0-0 after 75 mins). I also doubt we would have gone for the win at 1-1 at Tottenham, the way Newcastle did.

AN has on more than one occasion spoken about the players making a lot of wrong choices, when to calm play down, when to up the tempo, etc. AN can not think for them.

We lack smartness, leaders, and likely fitness levels. Stats show my fitness claim, as for smartness (streetwiseness) and leaders, it is also pretty obvious and clear to see.

The last 15 minute stats point to mental fatigue more than fitness. When we were the best team in League One we scored shedloads of late goals as the lesser footballers finally couldn''t keep up with superior players. The last year we went down Cardiff F7 A26 in the last 15 mins of games. Fulham were F7 A25 and we were F8 A10. But of course our problem was at the other end and once we fell behind we rarely got back in to it.

This season Bournemouth''s record at the end of games is phenomenal at the moment as the last 15 mins of games is their most prolific 15 mins with 7 goals. It will be interesting to see if they can keep that up all season.

True, Nutty. But interestingly, Bournemouth''s late goals correlates with their stats as the team with most distance covered, and I think it is a link here. I may be weong, but there sure is not any clearer signs.

If they can keep it up is another matter, but now they have confidence after beating Chelsea and Man U back to back, and they will know they cover more ground than anyone else.

For the record, Surman and Ritchie are in top 3 of that distance covered table

That''s why it will be interesting to see. 90 minutes is only part of the equation. Stamina for the whole season is the other part.

The worst that can happen for us is when teams like Bournemouth, Watford, Newcastle, even Sunderland get paid for all their endevour, and as such get confidence boosts.

We all know confidence is a big part of football, and for Norwich in particular.

Now, there are a lot of games left of this season, but 1 win in 11 is certainly relegation form.

I also saw a stat, with Norwich having the record for most Premier league games without back-to-back wins (54). A record unlikely to be broken. Just proves our inconsistency (or rather consistant poor results) at this level.