Sign in to follow this  
unique

Norwich City / Penalties

On a weekend when six of the goals scored in the Premier League were from penalties, it was disconcerting to discover that the figure is equal to the total number of penalties awarded to NCFC in their most recent three and a half seasons of PL football, and two more than they have actually scored!The two penalties that have been awarded in each of the previous three PL seasons, have seen Norwich regularly near the bottom of the ''penalty award'' table. So far this season, with a score of  -4, (penalties awarded less penalties conceded), they find themselves bottom of the pile.......Coincidence? Bad luck? Or other......?

Interesting.Possibly something to do with the type of strikers we have had? Struggling to think of the last one we had with genuine pace and tricky feet, that would force defenders to make rash challenges.

That''s the thing Morty - there isn''t some conspiracy (probably - they''re only out to get me, not my football team) we just don''t have, and haven''t had for a while, the type of player who ''wins'' penalties.

more time you spend in the opponents area the more likely you are to get penalties

also we and other smaller teams maybe don''t have so many quick footed player who dribble into areas as much as the bigger teams

We''ve had at least 3 flat out plain as day penalties not given to us this season. That''s not my biased opinion but that of game commentators in each (probably more) event. Howson a few weekd back getting plowed over was a blatant one denied, so it''s not just because we don''t have fleet footed strikers. Hoolahan got knocked over hard not long ago that ended a goal scoring threat.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]We''ve had at least 3 flat out plain as day penalties not given to us this season. That''s not my biased opinion but that of game commentators in each (probably more) event. Howson a few weekd back getting plowed over was a blatant one denied, so it''s not just because we don''t have fleet footed strikers. Hoolahan got knocked over hard not long ago that ended a goal scoring threat.[/quote]
"Two countries divided by a common language."

Trouble is this is not something new.

The last penalty we were awarded in an away Premier League match was at Ipswich in September 1994, a total of 104 away games ago. Five and a half seasons. No one is going to convince me that in that time we have not had a few decent cases, Chelsea this year when Brady was clattered for example.

Some clubs not just big ones always seem to get the benefit of the doubt, bournemouth have had at least 2 doubtful ones this season away from home which have meant the difference between winning & drawing.

I certainly think we have players who are generally less willing to go down in the penalty area under a soft challenge (Hoolahan maybe the exception). I think generally our team are a bit too honest and that includes the silly things like time-wasting, feigning injuries etc...all the stuff i''ve seen happen to us this season.

[quote user="hogesar"]I certainly think we have players who are generally less willing to go down in the penalty area under a soft challenge (Hoolahan maybe the exception). I think generally our team are a bit too honest and that includes the silly things like time-wasting, feigning injuries etc...all the stuff i''ve seen happen to us this season.[/quote]

It all depends on your philosphy.   Brian Clough used to demand complete honesty from his players - and they did little or no diving, complaining, cheating, time wasting etc.  I would love it if we were like that and built a reputation of honesty in a minefield of dishonesty and cheating that goes on at other clubs.  Officials would recognise that we were a club that did not dive or cheat and that reputation would be more likely lead to getting genuine cases for penalties given.  Honesty - complete honesty  - is something that as a philosophy works, because you then have 100% focus on the football itself and not are not diluting that focus with cheating or diving.  You may get the odd decision going for you if you keep falling easily, but the best way imo is complete honesty.  Unfashionable, maybe, but it worked for Clough in an era where diving was becoming more prevalent.  Keep on your feet, concentrate on playing football, totally and without any thoughts of trying to cheat your way to victory - and any resultant success will be that much more satisfactory.

LDC Wrote "Keep on your feet, concentrate on playing football, totally and without any thoughts of trying to cheat your way to victory - and any resultant success will be that much more satisfactory."

I like the principle and certainly would rather that than the likes of Ashley Young at Man Utd, (who played him at right back at the weekend in an attempt to nullify Brady), every time Brady went near him he went down, really got to dislike him and his antics this weekend, I fully accept if in the area and you get a knock then take the opportunity if it is handed to you, but when it is blatant, card them !

It''s a difficult balance.  Any professional sport is going to see players push the rules to the limit and break them sometimes, and the Prem is the biggest league in the world''s biggest sport.  On the one hand we don''t want to see City players cheating blatantly like Ashley Young, but on the other hand we don''t want to be naïve and get taken advantage of.

Against Chelsea we let them take a quick free kick and they scored.  At Prem level you''d expect players to be a bit more savvy and make sure a free kick isn''t taken that quickly.

Wes was pushed over inside the area against Arsenal, a clear penalty - so when we''re not getting decisions like that you can understand players wanting to play for a penalty in other circumstances.  If you watch Vardy, he''s careful to make sure that when a goalkeeper comes out at him, he drags his leg on the floor so the goalie will make contact.  It''s a penalty but he''s making sure it''s completely obvious to the ref.