Sign in to follow this  
GPs Beard

Ruddy story in The Sun

To those on here who have already ''tried'' the victim of the attack.  I''ve obviously missed something massive.  How do you know what happened?  How do you know what the bloke said or did to John and how do you know what John said or did to the bloke, beyond what is in the Sun article?With regards to the lifelong City fan.  I''m not saying it is in this case, but if this was your Son, Brother, Dad, who got attacked, bearing in mind we don''t know the full facts and especially if you felt the attack was unwarranted, would you really just send a quiet email to the club and hope that they may do something about it?

Did he actually do anything?

I didn''t see a punch or kick, or even a brawl, just Ruddy trying to go up to the bloke.

There was an ''eyewitness'' but this is the sun we''re taking about; if it had been Jeremy Corbyn they would''ve said he''d murdered the ''victim.''

Two sides to every argument, let''s not Judge too hastily just yet video or not. But even if in the right, and provoked, he has to walk away, not react.

He reacted, but he didnt assault the guy in any way that I can see on the video, intimidation is probably the worst you could lay on him. Drunken idiot trying to provoke a reaction, reminds me of trolls who complain when they get trolled.

The EDP report is a bit different to the Sun''s:

The footage appears to show the 29-year-old in heated discussions with another man during the early hours of Sunday morning.

At one point in the short video Ruddy appears to be held back as he moves towards the other man.

No physical contact is seen between the pair in the video.

The club today declined to comment, other than to confirm an internal investigation is underway.

Meanwhile, Norfolk Police said they have not had any reports of any assaults in Tombland over the weekend.

In recent weeks the goalkeeper has lost his first team spot at Norwich, with Declan Rudd putting in commendable performances in matches against Everton and Watford.

The incident at Tombland is thought to have occurred just a few hours after Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Carrow Road, in which Ruddy was again sidelined.

A spokesman for Norfolk Constabulary said: “We have not received any reports involving an assault in Tombland over the weekend.

“If anyone has any information regarding the incident, please contact Norfolk Police via 101.”

I used to live with an ex Norwich first team player when he was in the youth team here and we are still mates despite him having moved to a couple of other clubs since then.

Every time we go out there was always more than one drunk idiot that feels the need to tell him how s**t he was or say really horrible personal stuff (despite being a good player for us and the other clubs). Luckily he didn''t drink through most of his career and was always calm enough to walk away but I was amazed he never reacted. I certainly wanted to at times.

I''m certainly not condoning what JR did. As my mate proved, you can just walk away, but I know that it is a real strain having people just think they can take a pop at you every time you leave your house just because you are a footballer. Invariably that person then also plays the victim.

My mate would try and make time to try and chat to people who wanted to chat, but sometimes people who were absolutely wasted would just talk rubbish or just say his name over and over again to him and he''d eventually ignore them. More often than not you''d then see a post on here of someone saying how aloof or rude he was. It''s hardly surprising if a footballer doesn''t want to stop everything and become best mates with a drunken fool.

The first thing to say is that the players are allowed a social life outside of football.

So, there''s no need to slaughter Ruddy for going out. I don''t actually think it does their performance any good if they''re couped up at home all the time obsessing over football. It''s not healthy and they need to switch off to stay fresh and energised.

Secondly, as others have said. We don''t know exactly what has gone on, save for what is in the Sun article and we don''t know the nature of what was said by either person. That video footage doesn''t appear to tell us a great deal either to be honest.

The club will know what has gone on and I am confident that they will deal with it appropriately (if needed) as they did with Lewis Grabban. If anyone else, externally needs to get involved then they will.

Let''s remember for all his shaky form lately Ruddy has done very well for this club and he''s been terrific value for money. So let''s see how this one pans out before absolutely crucifying him and hanging him out to dry.

That being said, I am sure he''s had a very awkward conversation with Alex Neil this morning and has probably cemented Declan Rudd''s place in the side for the foreseeable future - something which Rudd was doing a pretty fine job of himself before this happened.

We can only really go on what the eyewitness said, which was that an inebriated Ruddy was mouthing off at people and being a dickhead before launching his attack. This appears to tally with the video, ie a drunk Ruddy pushing people away as tries to further injure his victim.If the above proves correct, then I can only see one option for the club - put him on the transfer list.

There were clearly lots of eyewitnesses, could the eyewitness be the guy who was taking the video.

None of us know what had happened previously or what was said. This kind of things goes on every weekend in Norwich and the only reason it came to light is because some guy decided to record it because it was a "famous" person.

From the video it looks like he was prepared to have a go but you can also see he reacts to something that has been said to him.

Brave guy though wanting to have a go at JR, JR is huge and I wouldn''t want to have a go drunk or not.

[quote user="9Зvintage"]We can only really go on what the eyewitness said, which was that an inebriated Ruddy was mouthing off at people and being a dickhead before launching his attack. This appears to tally with the video, ie a drunk Ruddy pushing people away as tries to further injure his victim.If the above proves correct, then I can only see one option for the club - put him on the transfer list.[/quote]
That seems sensible. Make a million assumptions in order to paint our own player who, from what we''ve seen so far in his years at Norwich and the kind of things he does - charity events, fundraising for the forces etc, is generally speaking a nice guy - in the worst possible light.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]I used to live with an ex Norwich first team player when he was in the youth team here and we are still mates despite him having moved to a couple of other clubs since then.

Every time we go out there was always more than one drunk idiot that feels the need to tell him how s**t he was or say really horrible personal stuff (despite being a good player for us and the other clubs). Luckily he didn''t drink through most of his career and was always calm enough to walk away but I was amazed he never reacted. I certainly wanted to at times.

I''m certainly not condoning what JR did. As my mate proved, you can just walk away, but I know that it is a real strain having people just think they can take a pop at you every time you leave your house just because you are a footballer. Invariably that person then also plays the victim.

My mate would try and make time to try and chat to people who wanted to chat, but sometimes people who were absolutely wasted would just talk rubbish or just say his name over and over again to him and he''d eventually ignore them. More often than not you''d then see a post on here of someone saying how aloof or rude he was. It''s hardly surprising if a footballer doesn''t want to stop everything and become best mates with a drunken fool.[/quote]OK, I''ll take a guess.Jason Shackell?

It''s a Sun exclusive and on that basis alone I wouldn''t be judging him yet. The last Sun exclusive of this kind was José Mourinho and that was edited to make Jose look the bad guy. When you later see the full video you see the kid harassing him and stalking him down the street with his mate.

All the video shows is a bit of handbags, no different to what has been seen on a pitch. If he has uppercutted him as claimed then he will be charged because Tombland has plenty of cameras which will have caught the entire incident.

I don''t know what happened in tombland but I thought something like this might happen when JR said in the pinkun interview

" Nobody has every come up to my face and said I was rubbish " or words close to that effect when he was defending his form

you just knew someone would go up to his face after that and tell him he was rubbish !!

like I said I don''t know what happened but you hit someone in the street where does it end up ?

man who called you a """" Knocked out hits his head on the curb dies / injured then you spend the next 10 to 20 years saying you know what I wished I had walked away

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="9Зvintage"]We can only really go on what the eyewitness said, which was that an inebriated Ruddy was mouthing off at people and being a dickhead before launching his attack. This appears to tally with the video, ie a drunk Ruddy pushing people away as tries to further injure his victim.If the above proves correct, then I can only see one option for the club - put him on the transfer list.[/quote]
That seems sensible. Make a million assumptions in order to paint our own player who, from what we''ve seen so far in his years at Norwich and the kind of things he does - charity events, fundraising for the forces etc, is generally speaking a nice guy - in the worst possible light.
[/quote]As I said, I''m going on what was reported and the video. How''s that making a million assumptions? The video shows a drunk Norwich City player threatening someone in a public place, which isn''t acceptable.

The video doesn''t show any assault though-the footage starts with the other guy getting up. The eyewitness could quite easily have twisted the truth-just because they said it happened doesn''t mean it did happen.

And the EDP article I posted earlier stated Norfolk Police had no reports of an assault in Tombland.

I''m not defending Ruddy but the clip could have been edited by the sun to not show all of the event to suit their agenda.

This is an absolute non-story. Ruddy was wrong to retaliate, but will be dealt with by the Club and it will be put to bed.John Ruddy being involved in a scrap will have no bearing on Norwich City''s season whatsoever.

Does it show a drunk Norwich player threatening another man 93vintage or does it show a Norwich player reacting to someone who could have said anything or could have (before they started recording) being the aggressor?

93 vintage, you are making an assumption that John Ruddy was drunk.

Pretty sure unless someone performs a breath or blood test then you can''t say that with any certainty.

And if you trust the word of a drunken idiot, another idiot with a cameraphone, a "lifelong Norwich City fan" all whose words were reported in The Sun, then you are probably buying the right "newspaper".

Like I said in reply to Hogesar, I''m going on the witness report in relation to Ruddy being drunk and behaving in a violent and threatening way.I''m not a fan of Murdoch newspapers by any stretch of the imagination. But that''s not a reason to disbelieve what was reported given that the report is consistent with the video in which Ruddy, who appears to be drunk, is clearly going after the other person in a threatening manner.I''m not especially anti-Ruddy either, as I stood up for him over the Alton Towers accident tweet, taking Ruddy at his word when he said that his Twitter a/c had been hacked.It may be that Ruddy was provoked at some point, but he''s overstepped the mark in going after the other bloke when he doesn''t himself appear to be in any immediate danger. The witness implied that Ruddy had instigated the whole incident by mouthing off and being rude to people (including the victim).

one fact I didn''t like it DID show ruddy pushing a friend / lady / women into the middle of the road as he went after someone ( the man )

ruddy wife saying leave it john would mean Ruddy was still up for a fight

this could be a lot more serious should never of happened

What the lady said was that it wasn''t worth it, maybe that was a statement to say don''t get involved?

I watched it a few times, you can''t seen any violence and all you see is Ruddy listening to something that is said and then reacts.

The Police have had no reports of an assault so I''m sure all Ruddy will get told is to be mindful of his behaviour when he''s out.

Seems to me that had this person not decided to stick Ruddy up by a) recording it and b) sending it to the sun we''d have never known about it.

Jeez - 29 year old man makes arse of himself in the face of provocation - he''ll not be the last this Christmas and I''m glad no-one posted video for my less than finest moments.

Bet he''s embarrassed, bet the clubs dealt with it.

He is genuinely a decent bloke and the reaction of some of our so called "fans" on here is a disgrace. Really glad the hanging brigade are not my friends - you really wouldn''t need enemies....

[quote user="lowlyfendweller"]I would rather the whole incident hadn''t occurred, but I forgive all involved.[/quote]

I''m sure this will provide those concerned with great relief and comfort!  [:|]

Having considered the comments on this thread taking into account the Alton towers comments and his arguments on Twitter. Couple this with his poor form we must get shot of this liability in January

Dec is the future long live the Dec

He is one of our own you now!