Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Jarvis signing on a permanent

According to the Daily Mail, the font of all footballing knowledge.
Seems pretty likely though to be fair, and they are writing as if it is definitive, rather than the normal "according to sources" etc nonsense.
£2.5 mill and a 4.5 year contract.
Be pleased if the figures and the contract were correct as I see him as a player who could transition inside and be a useful CM option in a few years when his legs start to go.
Also would free up a loan spot.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3372566/Norwich-City-agree-cut-price-2-5m-deal-West-Ham-loanee-winger-Matt-Jarvis.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

4 and a half year contract! bloody hell I bet he''s laughing.

Does suggest that we are going to get someone on loan which has already been lined up which is good news.

I''d like to sign him permanently. He gives us a good option either from the start or from the bench. The pessimist in me also thinks that if the vultures start circling for Brady then he''d be a pretty decent replacement.

My only concern would be the length of contract. A 4 1/2 year deal would make him 34 by the time it expires. That''s slightly concerning as we''ve may have long seen the best of him by then.

[quote user="Jacko"]A 4 1/2 year deal would make him 34 by the time it expires. That''s slightly concerning as we''ve may have long seen the best of him by then.[/quote]
We''ve got a former winger who will be 33 in May, on the books at the moment, who has taken to CM pretty well in the latter years of his career... in fact has been our standout performer for several games. Like I said, I see Jarvis making a similar transition when he loses that yard, he seems to have the football IQ to make that switch and has decent passing ability (although defensively not seen enough to be sure how much he could contribute). Maybe he could move into the Wessi role...?

Great news is true but I''d imagine it will note realistically be 2 1/2 years with an option of a further year

[quote user="AJ"]Great news is true but I''d imagine it will note realistically be 2 1/2 years with an option of a further year[/quote]^^ This.

West Ham fans will be delighted to get £2m for him but as a previous poster said last week, he did well for Wolves, perhaps he can rediscover that form; he has indeed had quite a good start before his injury.

When''s the last time we gave anybody a 4 1/2 year contract?  Especially somebody who will be 34 when the contract ends.Perhaps Bowkett''s leaving was due to a change in transfer strategy after all?

Miggins, a quick look on West ham forum doesn''t quite relate to your comments.

Few delighted, more wishing him well and talking about how much better he has looked for us being allowed to cut in and drift inside rather than being asked to hit the by line and float a ball in, as was the general request for him to do so at West ham.

Totally different players I would venture to argue Kick it Off.

Whilst, he has played out on the wing in his career, Wes has never really looked at home there. He''s always been best when deployed in a central role. He''s never been reliant on his pace and therefore he''s actually matured and improved with age as his understanding of how to harness his fantastic close control and vision has improved.

Jarvis has always relied more on his speed, looking to either cut in off the flank or go past his full back on the outside as well. I think he''s less likely to have the longevity at a higher level that Wes will have as a result.

However, I still think this would be an excellent deal for us - just not on a 4 1/2 year deal. That''s madness.

Good, exciting player. Sign him up.

The 4.5 year contract does seem a bit long but given a choice between signing him on that basis or not signing him at all I''d rather the former.

hogesar wrote the following post at 23/12/2015 11:27 PM:

Miggins, a quick look on West ham forum doesn''t quite relate to your comments.

Few delighted, more wishing him well and talking about how much better he has looked for us being allowed to cut in and drift inside rather than being asked to hit the by line and float a ball in, as was the general request for him to do so at West ham.

----------------------

And as you know football forums are extremely representational of the actual fan base of the club. The only comments I can find relating to this latest knows on their forum is;

"Not bad.

Divide Jarvis'' fee over the five years of his deal and £2.5m is there or thereabouts of what''s left."

"Norwich must be bonkers .

I hope we rush the paperwork through before they change their mind."

"A couple of million is buttons, and he''s already scored two or three for them.

His big problem here was that we paid far too much. The initial bid was c.£4m. Three months later they paid nearly £11m" (positive post from our point of view)

"Best of luck to him top bloke ..met him during pre season over er in cork"

"Surely not the end of the thumbs up sign as another cross goes wide of the mark."

All I would say Hog, is don''t check twitter.

Hopefully he proves the majority of the WHU fans wrong.

Like one of their posters said; the fact that they paid a lot of money for him certainly didn''t help him.

Not honestly too fussed what West Ham fans think. Surprised you are taking so much interest Miggins?

Jarvis has looked very useful for us so far! That''s all that really matters surely?? Players can have good or bad spells at clubs as managers do too..

Why are you surprised? I always look at how the fans of the club react when they''ve bought or sold a player; thats why I was very optimistic about the Brady signing for example. I think Jarvis has only played about 4 games for us compared to over 60 (at a guess) for West Ham; therefore I would say it''s worth noting that most of their fans are glad he moved on, mostly because they''ve also moved on as a club - looking to get into the Europa League on a consistent basis in the next few seasons.

I''d refer you to my original post on this subject L.E.S. I say things exactly along the lines of what you''ve also said; players can be a success or a failure at different clubs, however I think it''s also wise to look at what we''re buying. I''m also in the fortunate position of knowing quite a lot of spammers as well and they were happy enough with a loan, let alone a transfer.

Out of the (few) games he''s played for so far however, I think he''s been brilliant in some of them.

[quote user="Jacko"]Totally different players I would venture to argue Kick it Off.

Whilst, he has played out on the wing in his career, Wes has never really looked at home there. He''s always been best when deployed in a central role. He''s never been reliant on his pace and therefore he''s actually matured and improved with age as his understanding of how to harness his fantastic close control and vision has improved.

Jarvis has always relied more on his speed, looking to either cut in off the flank or go past his full back on the outside as well. I think he''s less likely to have the longevity at a higher level that Wes will have as a result.

However, I still think this would be an excellent deal for us - just not on a 4 1/2 year deal. That''s madness.[/quote]
Was actually referring to Gary O''Neil [:D] - your point stands about them being different types of player with Jarvis more reliant on his pace. Still think he could move to being a decent central mid when his pace goes though.

Perhaps Jarvis didn''t fit into their system very well, but I''ve been very impressed with him for us and it''s a massive shame he got injured as he had earned his place in the squad.

I still highly doubt it''ll be 4.5 years, maybe you''re right, 4.5m and 2.5 years with an option of a further year sounds a lot more realistic to me!

I hope he''s able to prove you wrong and change your opinion of him Mrs. I also hope that he will be fit enough to play regularly to make the point.

I think he''s a really good signing, but we don''t need sick notes for the second half of the season.

Just to play devils advocate here, a 4-and-a-half year contract would bring Jarvis to the age of 34, which is the same age Wessi will be this summer. If he plays the way he did before he got injured, I have no issue with a 3-and-a-half year + 1 year option contract, which I assume is what translates to a 4-and-a-half year contract in media speak.I remember when we signed a certain Dutch striker, it was supposed to be a 4 year contract according to the papers before it happened. It ended up being 3 + 1 year option.(side note - I wonder if we''ll pick up that option in the summer?)

I think we can firmly throw doubt on that one ghosty, unless he takes a massive wage drop!

This would be an excellent start to the transfer window; great value for a prem experienced winger with pace - irrespective of the length of contract.

As others have pointed out it frees up a loan signing too;

Hopefully the first of a series of good news stories.

2.5 mil is a snip for a player who has played PL and a England cap

4 1/2 contract no problem peanuts if we stay up also if we didn''t we could sell him for whatever 1 / 1.5 mil then he has cost us 1 mil plus wages or just loan him out always be takers for him once we don''t need him win win situation

Mr Jenkins wrote the following post at 24/12/2015 10:35 AM:

I hope he''s able to prove you wrong and change your opinion of him Mrs. I also hope that he will be fit enough to play regularly to make the point.

I think he''s a really good signing, but we don''t need sick notes for the second half of the season.

-----------------

I hope so to J, and I think he just might as well; he seems to have all the attributes you''d want in a winger for a club at our level and it''s such a shame that his injury came so early in the season having only played a handful of games which he''d generally played very well in. This move for him could well be the turning point of his career where his form returns.