Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Tettey/Mulumbu partnership

Would have lost vs Tottenham with any likelyhood whoever we played as DM, but we did lack O''Neill''s intensity today. Mulumbu and Tettey are just too long-legged to play DM together, as they lack the tenacity and intensity needed. They don''t have the frequency in their legs against such skilled opposition.

Watching Tettey and Mulumbu lose yet another challenge (and they lost many today from simply being too slow) is a pain.

Once we wer 2-0 down, I was waiting for a breakup of that partnership, but did not happen until late on. Shame.

The game gave me a feeling of the players just strolling around, expecting to lose, and saving energy for Villa. Sensible enough, maybe, but still we could hope for some effort. If the plan was to lose gallantly with little risk, we could play more fringe players.

Seems like the plan was to keep it tight, save energy, and if losing, keep the goal diff down. I did not get the impression we really went for it after HT, but I completely understand from AN''s point of view, as the game was effectively lost at 0-2, maybe even at 0-1.

Villa such a big game now

Agreed.
Hopefully Tettey and O''Neil for Villa with Mulumbu coming on for Tettey when he tires.
Also worried about Jerome''s hamstring injury but I would hope Mbokani can step up if needed and that we don''t revert to using Grabban unless we need to stretch the game late on.
Wes was rested today so he will definitely be starting on Monday.  He normally gives Villa a tough time.

Agree with most of this, although bear in mind Mulumbu has missed a good chunk of the season with injury and he''s not up to 100% yet. When I saw him play for WBA I never considered him a player lacking in intensity or tenacity, quite the opposite. I think what we really lacked was O''Neil''s composure in possession - Tettey in particular just isn''t technically adept enough to pass his way out of trouble in the way that O''Neil can.There was definitely a period in the second half where we appeared to be ''coasting'' - that four-on-one breakaway after Tettey lost possession was embarrassing, that rarely happens at Sunday League level.Yes, Villa game is absolutely massive. Lose it and we are in a world of hurt.

Villa is no ''bigger'' as a result of today''s game - a game we were always likely to lose. Indeed, IMO it is no more key to our season than many others have been/will be: it''s the 19th game of the season, not the 38th. Nothing at all will be decided by it, but 3pts should be there for us if we are on our game.

The pressure of "getting something" vs other crap teams increases when we dont get anything here and there from the bigger teams. I expected nothing vs Tottenham, and that is what we deservedly got. But look at those unexpected 3 points vs Man U now. Without them, we would be 3 points adrift, even before the Villa game.

We need 4-6 points vs Villa and Soton, and also need the fellow strugglers to get minimum of points during Xmas, so we can get 3-4 points of daylight.

Villa will be such a nervous game, I fear. Hoping for an early lead, 2-0 on the counter, and coasting to 3-0 or even 4-0. Worst fear is a long dragged 0-0 and a suckerpunch 0-1 in the 80th minute. Seen it before in games we "have" to win.

Although ofcourse I hope you''re right Grefstad, I think us coasting to a win against anyone at this level just ain''t gona happen esp with our anemic strikeforce at present. Agree though its going to be a game of high tension. I really do worry that Villa have gone so long without a win and "along come Norwich" yet again. Hopefully the boys will banish that fear and get stuck in from the get go.

4 points mininum if we are serious about having any chance of staying up.

Their skill on the ball isn''t good enough for them to both play centrally. They''re very similar and you need someone in there who''s a bit different and can distribute the ball forwards more effectively.

Mulumbu looked miles off full fitness, certainly compared to some of his earlier season games.

I have been wondering why he hasn''t been starting but now I can see.

Will be better for the game.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Their skill on the ball isn''t good enough for them to both play centrally. They''re very similar and you need someone in there who''s a bit different and can distribute the ball forwards more effectively.[/quote]

True. Quite possibly a "little and large" partnership at DM, where one is big and powerful, the other quicker and with more intensity, also with better passing ability