Sign in to follow this  
Feel The Force

When Jarvis returns...

... It''ll be 2 from 3 for that left side. At the moment I''d drop Bradey to left back and put Jarvis left wing. I like Olson but he doesn''t concentrate for 90 mins, bit like some of our other defenders. The first yard is in your head, isn''t that what they say?

I would like to see all three given an opportunity in the team.

Jarvis to play just off the striker (Mbokani). 4-2-3-1 formation.

We would have plenty of pace with Brady, Jarvis and Redmond the three behind the striker. Ideal for away games when playing a counter attacking style.

I keep reading this plenty of pace that Redmond has but when do we ever see it - how often do we see him beating a full back and getting in crosses - never has done enough in a game on a regular basis to win me over I''m afraid

[quote user="Bomber"]I keep reading this plenty of pace that Redmond has but when do we ever see it - how often do we see him beating a full back and getting in crosses - never has done enough in a game on a regular basis to win me over I''m afraid[/quote]

For me Redmond uses his pace every game.

Beating defenders does not relate to pace necessarily. our last run in the prem he was beating defenders left right and centre and putting in crosses to a box with no one in it, and the beginning of the championship campaign he made opposition fullbacks look like schoolboys. However AN has been developing redmond in to more of a direct threat, which he has mentioned many times this season. His role is to no longer beat his man and to put in a cross, although that may sometimes be necessary. he''s more of a central player now, or if he is deployed on the wings, he is looking to cut inside to either play a pass to a players feet or get a shot off..

on to the matter of hand though - it''s a tough call down that left side. Brady has been my POTS so far for the threat he brings forward. And while Jarvis may of very well taken his place if he had not been injured, I think it would be a waste currently to place Brady in a more defensive role.

not entirely sure how Brady would perform behind the striker. And while I agree Olsson has had his issues as games progress, I think it would be better for us to have Brady and Jarvis competing for the left mid/left wing spot.

it will be interesting to see how this progresses, even with everything I have mentioned I will concede that some of our best performances on the left came when Olsson was suspended, but as the seasons gone on I would now hate to lose Brady as an out and out attacking left mid.

I''m not sure Brandy at left back is such a waste of his talents. He''s got bags of energy and the modern game demands full backs that can essentially play the full length of the flank. That''s why Martin and Whits struggle to play well there. They just don''t have the required pace or athleticism to do it for 90 mins.

On Redmond I don''t understand why he always slows the game down and then tries to beat his man. Sometimes he needs take his man on straight away. Think how many times Hucks used to run with the ball (probably too much sometimes!) but he scared defenders and he either won free kicks or went passed them. I think Redmond needs to be a bit braver sometimes and be prepared to get kicked when he goes past a full back. Once you get them on a yellow card they won''t want to touch him again and will worry even more about his pace. He''s a key player for us but is still learning. He won''t be going anywhere in Jan.

Would happily bench Olsson for Brady, and Jarvis left wing.

Olsson is probably the worst fullback in PL. Can''t concentrate, can''t defend, can''t position himself. OK going forward, and that''s all.

Redmond must use his pace more. Too often he stops, inviting players to outcrowd him, instead of just bomb on down the wing with direct runs against the fullback. Annoying to see this time and again. Lost confidence, it seems

redmond has been a good out ball in the weak back 4 induced defence minded Neil side; has been safe with the ball and used it well to allow the defence some breathing space; not always able to create but doing a great team job nonetheless.

Can only agree with dropping AWOLsson; bradys passing and crossing so much better as is his defensive play; use jarvis in front and exploit their combined pace; which will also benefit the striker as well as wes & redmond

Mind you while not playing badly bradys form has dropped off & looked a little jaded recently; an FA Cup rest may do him/us the world of good

We had a winger once who was very fast, Mel Machin said he had the pace of Carl Lewis but the crossing ability of Jery Lee Lewis. One of our Centre Forwards kept telling him to slow down so that the rest of the team could catch up.