Sign in to follow this  
xymox

Brilliant Win

Was headlined as a 6 pointer and Norwich showed that with a nervous performance.

Jonny Howsen earned his place back in the team with his volley. The sublime pass from Wes onto MBK''s head finished a very happy afternoon at CR for me.

20 points at halfway should see us stay up but is looking like we might need more this season and suspect we will probably get more than 20 in the next half as Alex learns his trade.

xym

I said 15th this season, and I will stick to it but anything above 18th and I will be delighted.
What I like about the current side is that the squad rotation is effective and tactical.  Howson was very direct today but also put in a defensive shift which gave Wes the freedom to make the runs and try the passes he cannot always make away from home. Admittedly it wasn''t Wes''s best game today but he closed the game down with that lovely chip for Mbokani to bang in.  I did think Mbokani led the line well today though not notably better than Jerome who had a hard run out two days ago.
I think 38 will be enough this season with two obvious stragglers.

I think we will beat Southampton Saturday leaving us needing another 15 points to survive. 3 points Saturday and it''s looking very good for us

I can''t doubt Jerome''s commitment and desire, but just by his sheer presence Mbokani offers a different dimension. He has a terrific ability to predict the landing point of any ball and either time his leap for a header or make a huge radius around the ball that no one else can penetrate. A terrific first touch, too, and great awareness of where his teammates are. I love Cam, but Mbokani to me looks like a real upgrade. Deserves a run in the team now, to see if he can replicate his superior career goalscoring ratio at the highest level.

excellent result when we didn''t play well.

Redmond had a poor game and I''d happily have brought on Olsson (to replace Redmond) to help Brady protect from Villa''s most dangerous player.

Can''t complain about the result today and the defeat of Newcastle even better.

Yes indeed. A scrappy game but the rare moments of quality came from us and we deserved our win. Declan, Ryan B and "Big Dave" up front the stand out performances for me. Our midfield was awful though, Tettey just seems to be getting worse.

The Villa defence looked like they were really scared of Mbokani and I don''t think we''ve had that since GH.

Anyone think we should go with MBK and CJ up front ? Could disrupt any back 4 IMO

Hate to put a dampner on things but you are right we were very very average not helped by players playing out of position and yes it goes to show how poor Villa are.

[quote user="yoda"]Hate to put a dampner on things but you are right we were very very average not helped by players playing out of position and yes it goes to show how poor Villa are.[/quote] A lot of poor stuff out there today, but the result was right and we know we can play better than that. All good signs for the future though, because when you are not at your best but still win, then you must be doing something right.

lake district canary wrote the following post at 28/12/2015 9:39 PM:

yoda wrote:

Hate to put a dampner on things but you are right we were very very average not helped by players playing out of position and yes it goes to show how poor Villa are.

A lot of poor stuff out there today, but the result was right and we know we can play better than that.

All good signs for the future though, because when you are not at your best but still win, then you must be doing something right.

Wise wise words, full of wisdom. Yes.