Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Early observation

My early, and late, observation was that it was a mistake to leave Hoolahan out last Saturday.He wasn''t on his game today, apart from one pass, and he should have played Saturday.Tettey & Howson played well but Dorrans was totally useless

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Hoolahan was invisible at times, but he had the magic touch more than once. He kept the attack ack flowing on goal one, too.[/quote]

Did just enough to justify being on the field.  A lot of mis-placed or poor passing attempts, but his class ultimatrely was the difference.

Was looking to go backwards to much today, when he had the time to turn and take them in he seemed to head back towards our goal, although I will say that Villa pressed us hard so maybe that''s why!?

Wes barely plays two games in four days for his country, so playing two games in three days for his club is probably more than he''s up to.  A fully match-fit Wes should play every home game unless tactical decisions determine otherwise.  Away from home, he is more of a luxury as AN has fathomed out.

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]Was looking to go backwards to much today, when he had the time to turn and take them in he seemed to head back towards our goal, although I will say that Villa pressed us hard so maybe that''s why!?[/quote]

Rich T; my observation as well. All Wes had to do on several occasions was flick the ball away from his own goal and he would have bought space. Either Neil or the other coaches have forced him into turning back to his goal, or his confidence is shot, but Villa''s midfield seemed to read his game all match. Apart from a couple of times he did do the opposite, one of which he set Dieu up from. Ah the frustration of Wes.

I wrote that remark from my seat in the stand, and I stand by it! It was a really uncomfortable second half, I was really disappointed that Villa were rolling out the subs and we didn''t counter them, Holahoop was poor today, as was Dorrans, with Redmond his usual frustrating self! I''ll just say Martin was poor, his tackling was non existent and his ability to kick the ball out of the playing field whilst under NO pressure whatsoever is baffling!

Much needed and welcome 3 points, onwards and upwards please.

Gainer the Gopher wrote the following post at 28/12/2015 5:38 PM:

Hoolahan was invisible at times, but he had the magic touch more than once. He kept the attack ack flowing on goal one, too.

Take your point Gopher but to be honest I think Wes plays some of his best football when he''s invisible, some people just can''t see it though.

[quote user="firststeps"]I wrote that remark from my seat in the stand, and I stand by it! It was a really uncomfortable second half, I was really disappointed that Villa were rolling out the subs and we didn''t counter them, Holahoop was poor today, as was Dorrans, with Redmond his usual frustrating self! I''ll just say Martin was poor, his tackling was non existent and his ability to kick the ball out of the playing field whilst under NO pressure whatsoever is baffling!

Much needed and welcome 3 points, onwards and upwards please.[/quote]You had to get it in this week somehow.

[quote user="firststeps"]I wrote that remark from my seat in the stand, and I stand by it! It was a really uncomfortable second half, I was really disappointed that Villa were rolling out the subs and we didn''t counter them, Holahoop was poor today, as was Dorrans, with Redmond his usual frustrating self! I''ll just say Martin was poor, his tackling was non existent and his ability to kick the ball out of the playing field whilst under NO pressure whatsoever is baffling!

Much needed and welcome 3 points, onwards and upwards please.[/quote]

I bet the bloke behind loves you...

Yes Martin kicked the ball out of play, as did Bennett, and Tettey with a horrible pass in the first half that went between Martin and Bennett. Do you sit in impaired view seats as you didn''t mention Bassongs awful distribution under NO pressure especially in the first half- three straight to the opposition and one out of play.

Bassong will be the one who makes way for the new CB if we sign him as Bennett has been far superior since he came in to the team.

Funny, I was under the impression that the Carrow Road MOTM was Bennett. Bassong not brilliant today, but Martin didn''t kick the ball out whilst under no pressure on one occasion, it was two, perhaps three times.

I missed it, but what was he booked for?

Bennett was the sponsors man of the match today-thought he was very good along with Mbokani. Think Russ got booked for the melee at the end when Redmond got fouled into the advertising boards.

As I said last week when we debated Martin, he like others is prone to mistakes, but some of the poor stuff he showed today was shocking, yes others did play the ball out but this was when they were playing long passes, one of Martins today was when he recieved a pass on the touch line and was in such a hurry to get rid of it he kicked it out sideways......got a laugh around me!!

Yes that pass straight out of touch was very poor but he also played a lot of very good long passes. The Tettey pass out of play was not really a long pass-it was along the ground almost sideways which I think was supposed to be intended for Bennett but ended up going out of play closer to Martin who was further up the pitch. As for Bassong his passing was appalling-these were short passes straight to the a Villa players.

And also Bassongs marking of Ayew in the first half when he hit the target with a header-lost him completely. Had that been Martin he would have been slaughtered.

I agree HK, it''s a sloppy element that seems to creep in to our play to often.

It''s not even like that they can blame the pitch, maybe they should play on a village playing field for training then realise how much easier it should be on a professional field

Bennett got MOTM?

Hmm, well people are often impressed by defenders who haven''t really got anyone to mark.

He did ok though.

Just not as well as Mbokani who was surely MOTM. If not him then Howson.