Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's report v Villa

At this time of year Ricardo''s M&S long thermal pants usually makes their first appearance of the winter but in this continuing mild spell they remain safely tucked up in the draw. It was a dull day and a soft pitch at CR should have been an ideal surface for a decent game. Alex Neil rung the usual changes and this time the fresh names that came out of the Tombola machine were, Wes, Dorrans, Mbokani and Johnny Howson.From the kick off City looked nervy and tentative and in complete contrast to Villa who were fully of energy with quick passing and closing down. There was little to excite in the early stages apart from Bacuna''s 30 yarder that Rudd parried away and then City''s quick break that ended tamely with Brady''s poor free kick against the wall after Mbokani had been fouled on the edge of the Villa box.The first fifteen minutes for City could be summed up in two words, "careless passing." Time and again we gave the ball away and consequently were unable to exert any sort of control on the game. Villa didn''t have much up front but at least they looked up for the game and were busy and industrious in midfield. Thankfully City were looking pretty solid at the back with Ryan Bennett particularly making some good interceptions. On sixteen minutes things briefly sprang into life when a Villa free kick found a claret and blue shirt in the box only for Rudd to save neatly to his left. City replied with a couple of wild efforts that didn''t trouble Guzan but in truth it was all rather dull and insipid stuff.At the midway point of the half I decided a visit to the comfort station was in order and as has so often happened over the years I missed the opening goal. Apparently, and according to my son, Howson netted after some decent play involving Wes and Redders but that is only hearsay as I was still coming up the steps. In any event the goal though very welcome, failed to enliven what was a very dull half. Villa continued to dominate the possession but with no end product while City still managed to give the ball away at every conceivable opportunity. Thankfully the halftime whistle came and the team were applauded off but I couldn''t help thinking how different it could have been without that goal.Surely AN would liven the up for the second half we all thought but after a couple of minutes of energy City settled back into containing mood and for long periods the game reached the same dizzy heights of mediocrity that were a feature of the first half. I nearly woke up when in a rare City raid, Guzan parried Redmond''s shot out to Howson on the edge of the box but his low side foot was wide of the post. I did my best to put some urgency into proceedings with a couple more visits down the stairs but even this failed to conjure up any more magic.Time seemed to be passing very slowly as City sat back and soaked up the pressure. It was frustrating stuff although to be honest despite all Villa''s dominance of the ball they did very little with it. I was screaming for fresh legs at the 70 minute mark but AN delayed until with only six or seven minutes left he brought off Dorrans for O''Neil. I was expecting it to be Wes who I thought had had a fairly quiet game but thankfully AN was right and I was wrong as within a couple of minutes the little man clipped a neat cross to the unmarked Mbokani who powered a header past Guzan from 8 yards. The relief around Carrow Road was palpable and as City eased themselves over the line there was still time for Redmond to be shoved into the boards which resulted in a long overdue yellow card for Westwood  and a silly one for Martin for protesting. Rudd then parried a Villa free kick round for a corner before the final whistle brought cheers and a vital three points.Not the best of games but from here on in its results that count and a rare clean sheet is not to be sneezed at. Bassong, Rudd and Bennett all deserve mention for gritty performances but I''m giving MOM to Mbokani who was a handful throughout.A happy New Year to all and lets hope for an even better second half to the season. Another 20 points should be more than enough.[:D]

Agree it was a bit insipid at times, good summing up, as always from Ricardo, don''t think it was tough watch, Villa didn''t really have me thinking they were going to cause us too much trouble, a lot of good performances, Brady at left back, Redmond and Howson along with Mkobani all justify the managers tactics.

Pretty much spot on as per usual Ricardo. It was a similar game to the Manure win. MOM ,same here as well[Y]

Thanks for an accurate report.

Certainly not a tough watch, maybe I''m a bit odd but enjoyed the game, tense stuff all the way.

The bit of aggro spiced it up as well.

Fair and accurate report Ricardo. I found it difficult to think I was watching a Premiership game. Against a very poor and somewhat disinterested team we never really got control of the game mainly because we could never create any space coupled with a lot of woeful passing. Thankfully Rudd and Bennett were solid and yes both goals were quality finishes and we kept a clean sheet. Once again there was little atmosphere in the ground.

Villa were a classic example of an act we must not follow. A distant "money boss" who has seen cash wasted on very mediocre players coupled with frequent changes of Manager. They look completely doomed and displayed no drive or determination and just knocked the ball about with no real idea or plan. For us a vital 3 points but is there any chance of seeing some entertaining football to get the crowd going ???

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]The crowd were fine today, funny old game 😄[/quote]To be honest it seems a funny old season, the Premier feels so inconsistent this season, the only certainty is that Villa look woeful and doomed for the drop. Here we are at halfway and level on points with Chelsea, that sums up this season. City are only 8 points ahead of Sunderland in 19th and only 9 points behind West Ham in 7th, so theres all to play for.I have no confidence of us staying up, nor confidence of us going down. We ae not playing great, but we are picking up just enough points, but so are the teams around us. For sure, our defence has improved as much as it could have under the circumstances, has anyone missed Whitts being left out? Martin has played so so at RB, Rudd in goal and Ryan B at CB have definitely improved things, but of course  has not hidden the urgency for the need to strengthen our defence. Up front Cam always gives his all and Mbokani is a handful for a defence. Both guys have their own limitations but are doing ok overall. Midfield seems hard thing to comment on, Alex  has gotten into a rotation system, most uys in midfield seem to have good and not so good periods.All in all, everything feels as inconsistent as knowing who we will or wont be seeing joining the playing staff in January.

"...City still managed to give the ball away at every conceivable opportunity..."

I wonder what happened to our passing game. It is practically the same team that managed to put together twenty-something passes before scoring at Wembley, and played a very neat passing game early season. Is passing something you forget?

Thanks Ricardo.
It looked like two sides both playing as the away team - I am sure it would have been much more controlled but for our inability to keep the ball and use it effectively. Delighted with the result though.

Nice report as normal, agree Mbokani was superb with his hold up play. Bennett and Rudd with another solid performance.

All about points now and 20 on the board is great.

One sour note, Villa players should be ashamed the way they kept falling to the ground when any city player came near them, thought Martin kept his cool.

Thought our fans came good too, nice chant reminding those villa fans who came here a few years ago about Lambert.

[quote user="Budapest Canary"]"...City still managed to give the ball away at every conceivable opportunity..."

I wonder what happened to our passing game. It is practically the same team that managed to put together twenty-something passes before scoring at Wembley, and played a very neat passing game early season. Is passing something you forget?[/quote]

It''s a good question.  AN answered it I think after the match - he said the players are under incredible pressure and that can make even the simplest things difficult.    Its a good reason, but with that win and the win over ManUtd, it should give them more confidence going into the second half of the season.