Sign in to follow this  
Fakenham Canary

Our left side yesterday

Just wonder what the purpose was of dropping Olsson to the bench yesterday in favour of Redmond playing left midfield in front of Brady? Rotation due to fatigue? When I saw team I assumed it was tactical in order to target Hutton with Redmonds pace but Redmond never wanted to go past him! I don''t care if Redmond is right footed or not, if he can''t go past the man Russel Martin keeps out of the Scotland team then he isn''t going past anyone is he.?

Olsson has been poor recently. Lack of concentration, not going with runners and letting players get in behind him. I think it was a good decision to put Bradey at LB and this also paves the way for Jarvis'' return. That can''t come soon enough for me. And re. Redmond it''s clear that his instructions were to receive the ball out wide, cut inside and deliver into the box (as per the 1st goal) or get a shot away. Jarvis will take the ball to the dead ball line and cross but we must fill the box when that happens.

I think you''ll find that Hutton is first choice right back for Scotland with Russell Martin playing next to him as one of the first choice centre backs. But why let facts get in the way of a cheap jibe?

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Brady is our best left back at the moment IMO.[/quote]I prefer him further up the pitch normally, but he was my man of the match yesterday.

I prefer Brady at Left back because I believe it gives him more space on the flanks to attack. Redmond was presumably played on the left wing to accommodate Howson on the right. Redmond is so frustrating at the moment and although recently set against two fairly slow fullbacks i.e. Baines and Hutton he just would not take them on the outside and use his pace. He can be dangerous when cutting inside but still plays too many poor passes when well placed.

I said it a few weeks ago and I''ll stick by it - if Jarvis hadn''t have got injured I would imagine our strongest left side would be Brady LB and Jarvis LW.

Olsson has been shaky this season, he''s a good player but for me he needs to earn his position back now.

Vos - exactly. Yes he crossed for the first goal but that aside it was a very frustrating performance from him yesterday

AJ - think you''re probably right there.

I can see everyones point regarding Brady being our best left back option, but we just got so much more from him when he played higher up the field. More than Redmond offered us yesterday IMO.

As for Redmond ''obviously being told to cut inside'' yesterday I disagree - why would you tell your best wide player to cut inside into a packed central area where he is less effective than when he goes past people on the outside? We had Mbokani in the box, you would think crossing for him would be the obvious option. I just think he lacked the confidence to take the bloke on.

Be interesting to see what happens when Jarvis is back

Doesn''t change the fact that Russell Martin isn''t keeping Hutton out of the Scotland team as you previously claimed.

Thought he looked good yesterday on the left. He was always involved and positive. He beat his man plenty of times as well including the cross for the first where he needed no back lift to deliver the ball, sign of a top player.

As for Brady, other than his wasteful shots, he was class. Defended superbly at times and a constant nuisance in the first half.

[quote user="Fakenham Canary"]

As for Redmond ''obviously being told to cut inside'' yesterday I disagree - why would you tell your best wide player to cut inside into a packed central area where he is less effective than when he goes past people on the outside?[/quote]

He''s right-footed for a start, it''s more natural for him to come inside onto his stronger foot than to go outside on his weaker foot. Also, Alex Neil seems to prefer his wide players to start outside and then look to cut inside in the final third- he thinks that creative players are more dangerous in central areas.

[quote user="Fakenham Canary"] We had Mbokani in the box, you would think crossing for him would be the obvious option. I just think he lacked the confidence to take the bloke on. [/quote]

That''s the job of the full-back in such a system. One of the reasons Brady is so great at playing full-back in Neil''s system is that his technical skill and crossing ability allow him to play almost like an orthodox winger in the attack. This allows the wide player to move infield and overload that dangerous central area whilst still preserving width in the attack.

[quote user="Fakenham Canary"]Be interesting to see what happens when Jarvis is back[/quote]

He''ll start ahead of Redmond because he''s the better all-round player at the moment. They''re about equal in terms of what they offer going forward, although Redmond has more potential, but Jarvis is better at the defensive side of the game which is just as crucial.

I prefer Brady further up the pitch, think he''s more effective there although a good left back too

Villa seemed to attack on thier right through Hutton and Sinclair, maybe Redmond was switched to the right to help combat the pace and trivkery of these two?

He seemed very rigid once Villa got the ball in making sure he was back and covering, especially in the first half.