Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

Mbokani how much would he cost to buy ?

I didn''t know if Mbokani had a clause in the loan deal or if a fee had been agreed ???

I believe he is best striker we have be good to get him signed

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I didn''t know if Mbokani had a clause in the loan deal or if a fee had been agreed ???

I believe he is best striker we have be good to get him signed[/quote]I would like to hope that when we loaned him a buy clause was negotiated.His price must be rising.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I noticed he is 30 so I wouldn''t say he would be that expensive maybe around 4 million ?[/quote]Yeah that would seem about right.Or maybe he is just a stop gap, right player, right time maybe?If he was a few years younger I''d be a lot more interested. It would have to be a two year deal, maximum, for me.

I would sign him that for 2 years like you say you cannot buy many strikers who can score in the PL for 4 million

so upgrade on laffs and hooper even if backup if we signed another

Wouldnt want to spend more than about £6m on him given his age.

I would want greater consistency from him before committing to sign him; too many nothing games from him so far, although I accept thats to be expected as he adapts to the league team etc.

But he has now been here three months so its time for him to deliver and we have 5 months for him to convince us to splash the cash - I see no benefit in signing him up in Jan.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]Wouldnt want to spend more than about £6m on him given his age.

I would want greater consistency from him before committing to sign him; too many nothing games from him so far, although I accept thats to be expected as he adapts to the league team etc.

But he has now been here three months so its time for him to deliver and we have 5 months for him to convince us to splash the cash - I see no benefit in signing him up in Jan.[/quote]I''m not sure I can agree with that, seeing as though he''s only started 4 league games, and until yesterday hadn''t started a league game for 2 months. Are the nothing games you speak of the ones where he''s been sitting on the bench?Personally, I think he''s looked different class at playing the lone striker role. I think he has amazing ability to hold up the ball and bring others in. This, plus the fact that he can score goals (he''s scored the same number as Jerome in the league, despite playing less than half the minutes), means for me, we have to keep him.

I totally agree with you Theoklitos, anybody who states that Mbokani needs to show more consistency must have been watching a different player.

Every game that he has been involved in he has shown all his attributes, heading ability, hold up play, strength, link up play and goalscoring.

3 goals in 6 starts is an excellent return in his first 3 months and if the rumours are true regarding the 4million fee then we should get that bit of business done asap even if he is 30 years old.

How much did the likes of Glenn Murray, Conor Wickham etc move for recently.

I know who I would rather have.

Mbokani anyday of the week especially for 4m.

A point worth addressing here is the opinion that Jerome works harder for the team.I think that Mbokani just players higher up the pitch, which for some games against lesser opposition, works. But when playing teams much better than us, we really need Jerome dropping back and helping out.So I don''t think Dave Mbokani is entirely suited to all games.

Good point M

What I''d also say is that we also saw a slightly different Mbokani to the one we have in previous games. He seems to have taken notes from Jerome as yesterday we saw him working to press the defence more than we''ve seen before. We knew he could hold the ball up as well as lay it off and finish well, but he also seems to be adapting more to the PL in order to become a more complete striker for the team.

There''s so much said about how hard players work for the team but the fact of the matter is if jerome plays the remaining half of the season and returns 3 goals from 18 again were probably relegated.

We play 1 upfront, now in my opinion the extra work rate should be coming from the flanks and supported by midfield, and the forward has to be ready to stick it in the net and weigh in with 10/15 goals. jerome simply won''t score that in the premier league and I think mbokani would. The style of play has to be adapted slightly in the fact it has to played more to mbokanis feet instead of over the top but the way he controls the ball is magnificent. Not seen a forward for us take a goal kick down with his chest/feet while holding the centre back off like he did yesterday and it''s very rare that he loses the ball.

If we signed a player with a smiliar goalscoring record to mbokani in the window everyone will be saying what a great signing we''ve made. IMO if we stick with this guy up top we will win more than we lose

I heard that we have the option to buy too, but no idea of price. At current the international loan rule doesn''t affect our loan numbers here in England so no need to sign him at this stage of the season. If we stay up and have money to spend then we can obviously consider the option and sign him if we want to.

As the season has gradually progressed so has the clarity for Alex concerning our strike force has developed it appears. Seems now that in certain games Jerome is more suited and in others Mbokani is the better choice. Seems to work, and so it must put into doubt if Laffs will ever get any real game time for us, also questions the future of Grabban to surely.Must admit, i think Mbokani is fantastic, he offers City so much up front, and has shown he can and will score goals. I think he is well worth buying, and  if its around 3 or 4 mill, say for 2 years with another 1 year option, then do it City, it would be a terrific bargain at a good price.

I really hope we do sign him for two reasons. Firstly I think he is more ruthless in terms of finishing. The other is that it''s clearly taken him time to adapt, it would seem a horrible waste of a season if we have spent all of this time and effort getting him up to speed only to not keep him. Part of me wonders if the loan was arranged due to the slowness of his club sorting out issues with his prior club to them, and that it was the best way to get the deal done and still give them time to sort it.

At 30, because of the way he plays, I think he could have a good 3-4 years in him yet. We''ll see.

Anyone suggesting that he has struggle for consistency needs to get a bit of a grip IMHO. We have not seen enough of him to draw that conclusion. We knew he could take time to adapt and personally, I hoped he would play against Villa from the start.

Also, it''s quite telling that AN has come out and said that we can expect more of Mbokani.

He''s done very well in the games I''ve seen him. I was surprised he''s not been given more games, particularly ahead of Grabban.

A return of 3 goals from 6 matches is very good and better than average. Only players like Vardy, Kane, Aguero have faired better than a goal every other game and we know they''d be worth a hefty sum ie £35 million plus.

I don''t really know or understand what fans expect. We don''t have the funds to buy a striker for £20 million or more, we have to find bargains or up and coming young talent and potential stars. What Mbokani seems to be is a bargain who might be just passed his peak who we managed to pick up before anyone else.. I think he''s an excellent addition to our team. He may struggle against the best defences in the PL but who wouldn''t?

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]There''s so much said about how hard players work for the team but the fact of the matter is if jerome plays the remaining half of the season and returns 3 goals from 18 again were probably relegated.

We play 1 upfront, now in my opinion the extra work rate should be coming from the flanks and supported by midfield, and the forward has to be ready to stick it in the net and weigh in with 10/15 goals. jerome simply won''t score that in the premier league and I think mbokani would. The style of play has to be adapted slightly in the fact it has to played more to mbokanis feet instead of over the top but the way he controls the ball is magnificent. Not seen a forward for us take a goal kick down with his chest/feet while holding the centre back off like he did yesterday and it''s very rare that he loses the ball.

If we signed a player with a smiliar goalscoring record to mbokani in the window everyone will be saying what a great signing we''ve made. IMO if we stick with this guy up top we will win more than we lose[/quote]

You don''t have to change anything. HIS WORK RATE IS HIGHER THAN CAMERON JEROMES. This is seriously amazing.

Seriously the guy is faster than Jerome, stronger than Jerome, better in the air than Jerome, better at chasing balls than Jerome, better at dropping back as a lone striker than Jerome... Yet you have to "change style" to accomodate him. This is amazing. HOwever, I do agree he needs to be our first choice striker.

Jaemae, would disagree at him being faster and better at chasing balls than Jerome, but I agree with the point of your post.

If anything, I think he suits our style more. A striker that can retain the ball in the final third, bring the midfield up and finish crosses from Brady, Redmond, Olsson, Whittaker and Jarvis/ whoever plays etc.

Fair enough. "Faster" might be stretching it, I think in terms of both of those they are about equal, if there''s a difference maybe negligible.

first couple of games I was actually shocked at how quick he is. Wasn''t expecting "slow" per se, but for his side when he opens up he covers ground well more than average for his size, and it doesn''t take him that long to accelerate.

Jerome is deffo quicker off the mark. There are plenty of other games, but watch the Bolton home match goal he scored last season for evidence.

Honestly think if Jerome had even a smidgen of composure, he''d be a top class striker and on the England radar. Laugh all you like but he''s got 4 goals this year and probably had 5 or 6 massive chances to score more.

Think my post has been slightly misunderstood.

IMO mbokani is a far more rounded striker than jerome is but his most positive attributes are taking the ball down and maintaining possession along with his ariel threat. We''ve seen bits already he doesn''t really take players on, it''s not his game.

I wasn''t suggesting changing tactics completely I was suggesting it needs to be more direct to him instead of over the top because we should play to his strengths regardless of how quick he is or not.

[quote user="The Great Wall Of Tettey"]Think my post has been slightly misunderstood.

IMO mbokani is a far more rounded striker than jerome is but his most positive attributes are taking the ball down and maintaining possession along with his ariel threat. We''ve seen bits already he doesn''t really take players on, it''s not his game.

I wasn''t suggesting changing tactics completely I was suggesting it needs to be more direct to him instead of over the top because we should play to his strengths regardless of how quick he is or not.[/quote]

Yes, and my apologies for quoting that particular post. It wasn''t as egregious an example of what I ranted about.

Also (in general) wasn''t having a go at Jerome either. If he bags another 3 this year, hell that''s a fantastic year for him and I''d call it great in fact. Never hated Jerome, but as a #1 or 2 striker he''s just not up to the PL. He is good to have around and a pretty honest footballer.

Above all else, Mbokani has the priceless ability to do the unexpected. He is the only player we have who I could imagine conjuring a goal out of nothing.

In some ways the player he reminds me of most is Faustino Asprilla; he has something of his ungainly looking yet surprisingly deft touch, suddenly poking out a leg & somehow curling it around the ball to recover a seemingly lost situation, stronger than looks possible & with excellent awareness.

Asprilla was a one off though. i think he must have been double jointed. And he''d win any scowling competition by a country mile.

A quick google search for the headlines the day we signed him, and both ESPN and The Guardian say we signed a season-long loan with an option to buy at the end of the season. Neither state how much the option is for, but I would highly think that the price is there in the contract, so our cost won''t rise any more than whatever that number is.