Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Villia could be the game of the season, 100% player commitment required.

An absolute massive game and one we have to get 3 points from.

Lose this and we could be doomed to the lower leagues.

May need the clappers out for this one.

Huge game for me, what about you?

Biggest worry is you just know Villa are going to get another win soon and they have a pretty good record against us . Four points from the next two is a bare minimum .

...and there was me thinking it was just our 19th game of the season, (with 19 remaining afterwards), and with only 3pts up for grabs.

Yes, it is an important game, as they all are against sides around us, and it is one we ought to win if we are on our game - but there does seem to be rather a groundswell of people overstating it.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]...and there was me thinking it was just our 19th game of the season, (with 19 remaining afterwards), and with only 3pts up for grabs.

Yes, it is an important game, as they all are against sides around us, and it is one we ought to win if we are on our game - but there does seem to be rather a groundswell of people overstating it.[/quote]I don''t think its a case of overstating it, if you remember a few seasons ago, when we were relegated, the biggest issue was not taking points off teams around us.This could well be one of those games, if we did get relegated, and didn''t take maximum points on Monday, you would look back and nod knowingly.

This mentality of giving certain games more importance is absolutely foreign to a healthy sporting pschology.  If we lose against Villa, it just means we have to win elswhere at places like Old Trafford - I mean that would never happen would it?  Three points are available every game and the Villa match is irrelevant in terms of so called "six pointers" because Villa are pretty much down already.  You can win anywhere and against any team.  If the result against Villa is poor, the reaction will be worse because of the artificial doom and gloom that will result, whereas in truth all it means is we have to beat Southampton and Stoke - ie you move on with positivity into the next match(es).  It''s a kind of sporting madness that has crept into the game - a warped sporting psychology that even managers appear to talk about.  You even got the sense yesterday that  the team picked wasn''t the best team to beat Spurs - ie Odidja and Mulumbu starting (neither featured much up until then so two of the midfield maybe not up to speed).  Bonkers.  Natural sports psychology is to go all out in every match and as soon as you water that down in any way whatsoever, the mixed messages given out are almost bound to affect the performance.  That is why cup games with weakened teams are often poor - because even though the players want to win, they have a sense that it''s not so important somehow.   The only healthy approach to a sport is to set up to go all out in every match, regardless of who it is against.

I suspect that AN can learn a lot about sports psychology from you LDC, give him a ring, start with your on your toes tennis analogy, I''m sure he would love that one😄

Last game of the first half of the season and it is the classic 6 pointer win and 20 points will just about be par for the course anything less and we will have to have a better second half of the season to stay up simple as that

LDC wrote; You even got the sense yesterday that the team picked wasn''t the best team to beat Spurs - ie Odidja and Mulumbu starting (neither featured much up until then so two of the midfield maybe not up to speed). Bonkers.

I think the reason for the selection yesterday was looking to add more strength in midfield to look to stem a very fluid and creative opposition, no more no less.

Jeez lesso would you ever stop with your common sense, reasoned responses, what the hell is there to discuss when you correctly point out that we arent really as good as spurs, despite beating a very disappointing manure.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]LDC wrote; You even got the sense yesterday that the team picked wasn''t the best team to beat Spurs - ie Odidja and Mulumbu starting (neither featured much up until then so two of the midfield maybe not up to speed). Bonkers.

I think the reason for the selection yesterday was looking to add more strength in midfield to look to stem a very fluid and creative opposition, no more no less.[/quote]Yup.

The hard truth is that we are weaker than most in the premier league and we can only win games against sides who are either worse than us or in a slump ie Man u.We have to beat Villa because we are simply not going to get any points from decent sides.

We have done quite well against some of the better team over recent weeks. However we have not been much of an attacking force and goals have been hard to come by even against weaker teams. The quality of service and support to the likes of Jerome has been very poor. Crossing is not good enough, even from corners etc, and when we do build a decent attack on many occasions there is nobody in the box, including the main striker. I fear we may struggle to find the net against a very poor Villa team. We need the likes of Redmond, Howson, Brady, Dorrans or whoever plays to give real support to our lone striker. 100% effort over the next two home games should bear fruit.

Should see Wes back tomorrow, hopefully he''ll be on his game. Got to say it''s not going to be easy, need to get off to a good start to keep the crowed onside from the start.

If we can get our noses ahead early it should be a great atmosphere.

[quote user="Indy"]Should see Wes back tomorrow, hopefully he''ll be on his game. Got to say it''s not going to be easy, need to get off to a good start to keep the crowed onside from the start.

If we can get our noses ahead early it should be a great atmosphere.[/quote]I am going to throw this out there and say I would rather see Vadis in his position.

Can''t argue with that Morty, not seen enough to really make a judgement on Vadis. Been waiting to see him given a run since we signed him.

Doubt AN will play Mulumbu with Tettey tomorrow.

Looking forward to a good game, would love to see us stick another nail in the Villa coffin.

[quote user="Indy"]Can''t argue with that Morty, not seen enough to really make a judgement on Vadis. Been waiting to see him given a run since we signed him.

Doubt AN will play Mulumbu with Tettey tomorrow.

Looking forward to a good game, would love to see us stick another nail in the Villa coffin.[/quote]Nah he won''t play both Mulumbu and Tettey I suspect.I don''t think it will be straightforward. Villa will get men behind the ball and frustrate us.I don''t think it will be easy at all.

Villa can easily end up as a nightmare game.

Norwich at home against a team with nothing to lose? History says a fu*ckup in the making.

But with AN at the helm, chances are such fu*ckups will be more rare, and as such, I am in reasonably good faith regarding tomorrows game.

Time to play Mbokani for this one, and Wes. One of Mulumbu/Tettey will have to make way for the intensity/tenacity and passing prowess of O´Neill.

AND, I have a feeling a penalty will come our way to morrow. Trip on Wes.

I do think AN will losen up our rather static attackming play a bit, and allow more bodies from midfield to roam and make deep runs. This is vital against shite sides like Villa.

Redmond to start, and vs the bottom team, at home, in a crunch game during Xmas....if he can not deliver now, he never will.

Its quite amusing the way some try and play down the importance/significance of tomorrows game against Villa

Yes granted its a bigger game for them than us they really need 6 points from the two matches this week if they are to have any chance of staying up.....

But equally if we cant not only beat but destroy a team thats failed to win since the opening day of the season then heaven help us.....

The only thing that matters at present is points on the board !!

...plus, arguably, muchos mas goals in the ''F'' column as Toon & Swans continue to match our (inconsistent) results.

Hope I''m wrong but for me, today''s fixture has score draw written all over it.

Time for some Neil out-tacticking

Yoda: "The hard truth is that we are weaker than most in the premier league and we can only win games against sides who are either worse than us or in a slump ie Man u.We have to beat Villa because we are simply not going to get any points from decent sides."

What spineless negativity.

You are no Jedi Knight.

Yes, still on a high and been reading the posts.

Sets us up nicely for a second chance at the transfer window with half the season to play for. It''s in the the hands of the club to mess it up if they choose not to spend in January.