Sign in to follow this  
Number9

John Ruddy

Where does Ruddy go from here?

Rudd has done well, can''t see him getting dropped any time soon, what must Ruddy be thinking?

Will Ruddy be allowed to move on to another club? Can''t see that, unless a replacement is found. If it is permitted, then where could he, would he go?

It''s been a brave call by AN, but what happens next?

It''s not gonna improve him as a keeper or improve his confidence by sitting on the bench.

>It''s not gonna improve him as a keeper or improve his confidence by sitting on the bench.

Giving him some time off to get his head back on the game seems exactly like the thing to do.

I expect that Ruddy will have the gloves back within the next couple of months.

So are you saying"he sits on the bench for a undetermined period of time"

The only scenario is that

1) Rudd has poor form

2) Rudd has injury

3) Rudd has banned for red card etc.

What''s the chance of that happening + what''s Ruddy''s state of mind gonna be, waiting for that?

He doesn''t have much argument against it. If Rudd stays strong, there''s no need to drop him, although would it be problematic for the team to have the keepers rotate? Would it make much difference to the defense, or is that an unproven standard everyone accepts without question?

Why on earth would we want to rotate the keepers? Ruddy cost us points against Man City, West Ham and Arsenal. Rudd gained us a point against Everton. It''s Rudd''s shirt for as long as he can keep his performances at this level.

Have we got back up if Ruddy leaves?

The keeper for the u21s is not up to premier league oor anywhere near.

[quote user="Number9"]Have we got back up if Ruddy leaves?

The keeper for the u21s is not up to premier league oor anywhere near.[/quote]I saw rumours that we were looking at a keeper.

Too early to give up on Ruddy. Look at Hart last year. Be just needed a break, came back strong.

I feel ruddy has been off since that injury at Everton a few years ago really. Some good performances, but always ripe for an error. Heard some whispers things weren''t going great at home last year as well, maybe that got to him?

Did anyone else notice that during the half time warm up for the subs Ruddy simply was not taking part. Merely walked about with his hands in his pockets. If body language means anything then it means he is in a bit of a sulk. He''s watched Rudd playing every game, and must understand his first team chances are over.

I for one never thought he was of PL quality, and only got a brief spot in the England squad due to lack of English keeper in the PL.

Frankly nice to see one of our own in the team

Because when he gets his mojo back, we might want a reliable 1 - 2 punch available to work as keeper, and both would deserve to be given time between the sticks rather than always one getting the start and the other riding the bench.

If both were equally good, would that be an option? If not, why not? Is it simply a money thing?

Sometimes stories are true sometimes they are not, we have to trust AN''s man management to get it right, whether that means Ruddy stays or goes and is replaced.

But of an awkward situation at the mo though.

Brad well canary

Sorry ruddy deserved his place and f he had a better defence in front of him he would have got better stats and better.

Ruddy has excelled and is a great keeper after we struggled to find our identity at that position. Rudd is still young and I hope the crest he is riding continues.

You need premiership experience at that position. I think there are a few other players can leave before ruddy. Be very impressed if we get great guys in and ship out grabban and squad players. If we can stay up this season there are a fair few who can move on. Maybe ruddy could e one of them, but not yet unless a great replacement is set up. Not priority now and also a senior member of the team.

I suppose there is also the possible that Ruddy is going back to Everton as part of the Naismith deal?

I''ve not heard any rumours, just thinking outside the box, trying to make sense out of stuff.

I don''t really see why JR has to go anywhere.  All he has to do is get his head down, work hard to be ready in case Rudd is sent off or gets injured, then it is up to him what happens.  There is competition for places right through the club and goalkeeper is no different.  Imo we need him to stay.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Because when he gets his mojo back, we might want a reliable 1 - 2 punch available to work as keeper, and both would deserve to be given time between the sticks rather than always one getting the start and the other riding the bench.

If both were equally good, would that be an option? If not, why not? Is it simply a money thing?[/quote]
Name one other football team in any top division in the world, that regularly rotates between 2 keepers. If you can''t, think about why that might be? It isn''t that hard to work it out.
If they''re hypothetically equally as talented, one will still be in better form than the other. 
What on Earth does money have to do with anything here? We''re paying them the same whether they sit on the bench, or if they start every game... a contract is a contract, and I don''t even understand your line of thinking here. Money doesn''t even factor into this decision, let alone become the sole factor in it. Quite bizarre.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]Because when he gets his mojo back, we might want a reliable 1 - 2 punch available to work as keeper, and both would deserve to be given time between the sticks rather than always one getting the start and the other riding the bench.

If both were equally good, would that be an option? If not, why not? Is it simply a money thing?[/quote]
Name one other football team in any top division in the world, that regularly rotates between 2 keepers. If you can''t, think about why that might be? It isn''t that hard to work it out.
If they''re hypothetically equally as talented, one will still be in better form than the other. 
What on Earth does money have to do with anything here? We''re paying them the same whether they sit on the bench, or if they start every game... a contract is a contract, and I don''t even understand your line of thinking here. Money doesn''t even factor into this decision, let alone become the sole factor in it. Quite bizarre.

[quote user="Number9"]I suppose there is also the possible that Ruddy is going back to Everton as part of the Naismith deal?

I''ve not heard any rumours, just thinking outside the box, trying to make sense out of stuff.[/quote]
Howard isn''t getting any younger so they''ll be in the market for a keeper at some point in the next couple of windows at some point. Not sure Ruddy''s form this year would have encouraged anyone to consider signing him though!!

Smooth, I slightly have to disagree there. Ruddy hasn''t been the same for over 2 years now. Our defence when it got Bassong back last year was good for the level and it didn''t stop the errors. I also don''t think you have to be experienced to be a good premiership keeper, though you need at least one decent and experienced keeper on your books just in case the inexperience shows.

For me, Ruddy has an important role the rest of the season even if he doesn''t get back in the team. Rudd will know if he even remotely slips up, there''s a class keeper waiting in the wings to take his place back.

If we get to summer, we can assess the options. I''m loathe to let our reliable pros go cheaply though just for the sake of a bit of extra class after what happened with Holty and what we tried with Bassong.

I doubt Ruddy would go in this transfer window. Whilst Rudd has started well, he has very little Premiership experience. He hasn''t been on the wrong end of a sound beating, or made a glaring error. So how he would cope with either of those things is unknown.We definitely still need John Ruddy.

Kick it, if a keeper spends month after month on the bench, how can anyone tell if he''s not the "in form" one?

The money factor was regarding whether to keep him on the bench at a probably high pay rate, or try to offload him some how. It''s been mentioned by at least one other before me on this thread. That''s what on Earth.

I assumed no top clubs rotate keepers, bu wondered if there''s a provable reason why, or if it''s just an accepted way that nobody has thought to challenge. Paul Lambert challenged the idea Grant Holt was merely a 3rd level striker that even many on here, let alone all the top 2 divisions managers accepted as fact. So just because "nobody else does it" doesn''t prove anything.

On this and the many other "John Ruddy" threads, numerous posters have stated what a big call it was for AN to stand him down when he did.

I don''t get that at all. His form, on the back of one of the biggest confidence fails I have seen, was making him a serious liability every game. So dropping him when he did was, for me, one of the easiest decisions AN has had to make. Over the years it has often happened that top goalkeepers have suffered periods of poor form and have needed a spell out to restore confidence (Hart has been mentioned as a recent example). Let''s hope it eventually works this way for JR.

Having watched the 14/15 season review DVD at the weekend it struck me that there were many occasions even then when he could have been dropped. That form has simply continued to this season.

He hasn''t been good enough and he knows it. He''ll have to wait his chance now just like Rudd had to. I doubt he''d leave unless something has changed quite dramatically as his family is happy here etc

Rudd is earning his place you can not drop him just because ruddy is unhappy !

tough luck JR you will have to wait like any other player for a chance in the team

I would even go as far as saying the team looks a lot better with Rudd in it so JR could be in for a long wait

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Why on earth would we want to rotate the keepers? Ruddy cost us points against Man City, West Ham and Arsenal. Rudd gained us a point against Everton. It''s Rudd''s shirt for as long as he can keep his performances at this level.[/quote]Harsh to say he cost us at West Ham, Andy Carroll was pretty much on top of him, and quite frankly it''s absurd to say he costs us points against Arsenal.You can also say he won us points against Liverpool with some incredible stops and also some good stops against Bournemouth when the game was in the balance.

[quote user="morty"]I doubt Ruddy would go in this transfer window. Whilst Rudd has started well, he has very little Premiership experience. He hasn''t been on the wrong end of a sound beating, or made a glaring error. So how he would cope with either of those things is unknown.We definitely still need John Ruddy.[/quote]Rudd has made plenty of errors that Ruddy has been getting castrated for on here, dropping crosses, given away a penalty, some suspect kicking. People won''t see that though because he''s not Ruddy.

I can''t believe some of the opinions on this thread.  Rudd has came in and done well, some might argue very well.  Why we would be looking for a new keeper or a way of getting JR back into the team is absolutely beyond me!  We have a keeper at the minute who looks every bit Premiership class and he will only improve with game time.  If Rudd gives me a reason to doubt that over an extended period of time, fine, get someone in, but put Ruddy back in?  No way.  He''s had one decent season (first one in the Prem under Lambert) for us in the entire time he''s been here.  Other than that he''s looked a liability.

For me, his days as Norwich''s number one are well and truly over.  If Rudd keeps going as he is, we don''t need a new keeper.  If Rudd struggles as the season goes on, then go and get a new one.