Sign in to follow this  
Gunthorpe

What is going on with the Board ?

Please do not forget David McNally is a paid employee of Norwich City FC, has a very minimal shareholding and no real financial interest in our Club. Its basically his job

Are we now in a very precarious position as David McD is the only person on the Board who understands how a Football Club or indeed a multi million pound business is run - the rest (Foulger excluded) are made up exclusively of Delia''s mates ?

A possible scenario is that if David McD gets a better job offer from another club (he has done a fantastic job for us and others must look at him) he could resign and we would be right up the swanny, with the mob that is left trying to run the show

The current Board has completely the wrong mix - I just hope Delia has deep pockets as she is going to have to keep McNally sweet

So after owning a football club for the best part of 20 years, 5 of which have been PL, Delia and the two Michaels don''t understand how it works....

OKaaaaaaay...

Perhaps they should take advice from owners and directors of clubs who have been in the game for comparatively 5 minutes. Or is the reality the other way around?

Gunthorpe,

I think you may fundamentally underestimate the intelligence of members of the board.

Some emotional intelligence can also be highly valuable to the running of a board and a football club.

David McNally is indeed highly important to the Company and the club.

It might be the case that incentivising him to stay and perform might be to spark his competitive juices, his desire to be alpha pre-eminent or to ensure that he is challenged and inspired to remain sharp. And perhaps remain to achieve - and be seen to achieve - this. A good Chairman would know the above and play his/her hand accordingly.

I like the phrase ''constructive stress'' in football, business and physiology. Perhaps Ed Balls has just the character to stimulate these things in McNally especially.

If this was all he did, it would be a very valuable role.

Parma

Ps: Identifying the need for the role - and the right person for it - would also be a important role.......

McNally "we won''t be reckless with our spending in the window"

Oh, Go on, try it Dave. You may get a taste for it!

Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:30 PM:

What sort of mix is the right mix? Who would you like to see on the board Newton?

Typical comment Herman - I make a statement of fact attempting to stimulate opinion from others

Only to be accused of being someone else with no view at all from one of the top Trolls - YOU

nutty nigel wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:43 PM:

So after owning a football club for the best part of 20 years, 5 of which have been PL, Delia and the two Michaels don''t understand how it works....

OKaaaaaaay...

Perhaps they should take advice from owners and directors of clubs who have been in the game for comparatively 5 minutes. Or is the reality the other way around?

Nice one Nutty - are the 20 year owners you are referring to the same pair that took us into League 1 -

YES IT IS. do we want them back at the helm - no way

JF wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 1:23 PM:

McNally "we won''t be reckless with our spending in the window"

Oh, Go on, try it Dave. You may get a taste for it!

The usual " don''t try and mug us off" message before the window.

We failled in the summer, I hope lessons have be learned and we don''t follow the same tin pot approach to signings.

Parma Ham''s gone mouldy wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:57 PM:

Gunthorpe,

I think you may fundamentally underestimate the intelligence of members of the board.

Some emotional intelligence can also be highly valuable to the running of a board and a football club.

Parma I do not underestimate the intelligence of Board Members

What I do remember are those dark days when the current owners oversaw the appointments of Grant, Roder & Gunn followed by our relegation with 8/10 senior players to :League 1

Have you forgotten ?

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:30 PM:

What sort of mix is the right mix? Who would you like to see on the board Newton?

Typical comment Herman - I make a statement of fact attempting to stimulate opinion from others

Only to be accused of being someone else with no view at all from one of the top Trolls - YOU[/quote]We know who you are Newton, and inadvertently you have give yourself away.Now I asked a reasonable question with no trolling. You say the board has the wrong mix. What do you mean by this/what would you like to change to make the ''right mix''?

Now I asked a reasonable question with no trolling. You say the board has the wrong mix. What do you mean by this/what would you like to change to make the ''right mix''?

Branson, Gates and Zuckerburg?

Gunthorpe

"Nice one Nutty - are the 20 year owners you are referring to the same pair that took us into League 1 -

YES IT IS. do we want them back at the helm - no way"

Back at the helm? Have I missed something or did Delia and Michael sell up when we went down to league 1? That''s right they didn''t and have been at the helm whilst we have enjoyed recent success as well as that one aberration.

As for lack of football/ business knowledge Delia and Michael have run a football club for many years . Ed Balls was a part of the team that delivered the longest and most sustained financial growth this country has on record until a worldwide financial meltdown (not a labour meltdown as the Tories seemed to have duped many into believing) and handling budgets of Billions more than qualifies him to oversee the finances of a small provincial football club.

You discount Foulger too. Is he leaving because last I heard he still sits on the board. He knows football after 5/6 years on the board and knows business too.

You have stated no facts except that we got relegated to league 1. You have spouted hyperbole but backed it up with no opinion with any substance to justify it.

What do you see as the right mix and why do you not think we have it now?

JF yes please, now that''s some money right there!

Still we don''t need investment but a good communicator as Chairman who will try and challenge everyone on the board to get the best out of what we have.

That would do, if it happens, funny but I can''t see Ed Balls being that type of person, more another Fry type member. I suppose Bowkett will be a hard act to follow, good luck and don''t Balls it up.

[quote user="JF"]Now I asked a reasonable question with no trolling. You say the board has the wrong mix. What do you mean by this/what would you like to change to make the ''right mix''?

Branson, Gates and Zuckerburg?[/quote]Two nerds and a hippy. No thanks.

No Herman two mega rich nerds and a mega rich hippy.....yes please, mind you none of them would fit the Delia model owner.

Gunthorpe: "Are we now in a very precarious position as..."

Good old rhetorical paper-style questions!

"Are City''s money problems just round the corner as Canaries reportedly on verge of mass bird flu outbreak?"

"Is it beginning of the end for Delia and City''s top-tier status after matchday pie kitchen potentially hit with 4-star hygiene rating?"

"Could Carrow Road outfit be doomed to footballing obscurity as asteroid strike cannot be ruled out, say publicity-keen underwriters?"

Etc.

Surely having someone who is just doing a job is the best person to have, it reduces vested interests and if they are good at their job, which mcn seems to be, then it''s only beneficial, hence the changes to corporate pay packages to remove an immediate share option.

Also, to state that the other members of the board have no experience of running multi million pound businesses what about foulgers poultry empire and winny''s publishing business? Are they just hobbies?

Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 1:45 PM:

Gunthorpe wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:30 PM: What sort of mix is the right mix? Who would you like to see on the board Newton? Typical comment Herman - I make a statement of fact attempting to stimulate opinion from others Only to be accused of being someone else with no view at all from one of the top Trolls - YOU

Now I asked a reasonable question with no trolling. You say the board has the wrong mix. What do you mean by this/what would you like to change to make the ''right mix''?

Herman why don''t you read the original statement I made. It explains why I think the Board has the wrong mix and we are now a the mercy of David McD.

Many on this Forum moan about him (McNally) but following the appointment of another one of Delia''s mates as Chairman he now has even more power

What is your opinion - or will you just continue to make silly slick comments

Indy I don''t think Balls is in any way a Fry type appointment. If he was he would have never have been given the role of Chairman and would have just been put forward as a Director.

As a Chair his role is far more encompassing and his duty will be to work with and oversee the CEO. He will ensure controls are in place and that the vision for the clubs future is adhered to and progressed in an appropriate manner without putting the club''s future in jeopardy. As has been mentioned in other threads and by other posters he will be expected to be the person who enables debate amongst the board and work on creating that vision for Norwich Citys future.

If he was brought in to work in anyway similar to Fry and given the role he has this would be a huge mistake, a Chairman has to offer so much more due to the pivotal role they have in deciding the club''s future. Balls reputation isn''t one of standing idly by but that of someone with strong opinions and belief systems who does something about it.

[quote user="Gunthorpe"] Nice one Nutty - are the 20 year owners you are

referring to the same pair that took us into League 1 - YES IT IS. do we want

them back at the helm - no way[/quote]

Thank you Gunty. I love facts and you''re spot on with your isolated 1/20th. But let''s consider the other 19/20ths shall we?

Delia and the two Michaels were part of a rescue package put together by Geoffrey Watling and Martin Armstrong after Robert Chase''s mess. At the time there were many people running

around professing to represent Norwich City that our club''s name was dragged around

every lending institution in London. Since then our club has had 14 seasons in the Championship, 5 seasons in the Premier League and 1 season in League One.

I think it only fair do look at the full picture for judgement. Don''t you?

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Indy I don''t think Balls is in any way a Fry type appointment. If he was he would have never have been given the role of Chairman and would have just been put forward as a Director.

As a Chair his role is far more encompassing and his duty will be to work with and oversee the CEO. He will ensure controls are in place and that the vision for the clubs future is adhered to and progressed in an appropriate manner without putting the club''s future in jeopardy. As has been mentioned in other threads and by other posters he will be expected to be the person who enables debate amongst the board and work on creating that vision for Norwich Citys future.

If he was brought in to work in anyway similar to Fry and given the role he has this would be a huge mistake, a Chairman has to offer so much more due to the pivotal role they have in deciding the club''s future. Balls reputation isn''t one of standing idly by but that of someone with strong opinions and belief systems who does something about it.[/quote]

Yes that''s what I would expect of a Chairman, but it would have been nice to see someone with experience in that role with a decent CV.

I don''t know Balls personally like our owners and all we can do is discuss our opinions, time will tell as none of us can do anything to change this appointment.

I do find it funny how people are taking the Political line and arguing who made the bigger balls up in their term of office 😊.

Having seen plenty of Mr Balls he''s not my cup of tea, but I hope he does as well as Bowkett has done and he''ll be a good appointment, we wait with baited breath.

Dead Canary wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 1:57 PM:

Gunthorpe

"Nice one Nutty - are the 20 year owners you are referring to the same pair that took us into League 1 -

YES IT IS. do we want them back at the helm - no way"

Back at the helm? Have I missed something or did Delia and Michael sell up when we went down to league 1? That''s right they didn''t and have been at the helm whilst we have enjoyed recent success as well as that one aberration.

As for lack of football/ business knowledge Delia and Michael have run a football club for many years . Ed Balls was a part of the team that delivered the longest and most sustained financial growth this country has on record until a worldwide financial meltdown (not a labour meltdown as the Tories seemed to have duped many into believing) and handling budgets of Billions more than qualifies him to oversee the finances of a small provincial football club.

You discount Foulger too. Is he leaving because last I heard he still sits on the board. He knows football after 5/6 years on the board and knows business too.

You have stated no facts except that we got relegated to league 1. You have spouted hyperbole but backed it up with no opinion with any substance to justify it.

What do you see as the right mix and why do you not think we have it now?

Dead C I know it upsets you & your followers when anyone criticises the current owners but, without David McNally & Bowkett we would probably now be in the Conference.

In those dark says it became very clear the Stowmarket 2 & there advisers did not have a clue what they were doing (Foulger was also with them at the time and must share some of the responsibility)

We were saved by the appointment of McNally & Bowkett (the former managing the club on a daily basis)

Delia continued to appoint her friends to the Board to ensure she had control (Fry & Phillips) and has continued with that trend a la Balls

To claim he is a top Economist and good for Norwich is a joke as why hasn''t every Football Club got a failed MP on there Board ?

This appointed gives David McD even more power - I see that as a good move - but many don''t.

What''s your view besides you love Delia ?

="Gunthorpe"]Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 1:45 PM:

Gunthorpe wrote:

Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 12:30 PM: What sort of mix is the right mix? Who would you like to see on the board Newton? Typical comment Herman - I make a statement of fact attempting to stimulate opinion from others Only to be accused of being someone else with no view at all from one of the top Trolls - YOU

Herman why don''t you read the original statement I made. It explains why I think the Board has the wrong mix and we are now a the mercy of David McD.

Many on this Forum moan about him (McNally) but following the appointment of another one of Delia''s mates as Chairman he now has even more power

What is your opinion - or will you just continue to make silly slick comments

Your first post doesn''t explain why you think it''s wrong other than by saying you don''t like it because it''s full of "Delias mates". You make statements based on your opinion of her and not on the attributes of those who make up the board. Which with a little digging or reading the responses here you can see are not based on any factual evidence of the board members experiences.

In your scenario you also don''t account for the fact that if a CEO leaves they will have a long notice period written into their contract and we would hire another to replace him and that lost football experience. We wouldn''t just carry on without a Chief Exec and leave it to the board to run the entire club as after all they are essentially trustees of the club and not people who make the day to day decisions involved in running a club.

I will also add the current CEO is here on the recommendation of one of Delias "mates" that you are throwing scorn upon.

There''s something strangely comforting about Newton''s return to the messageboard...it''s like seeing an old tramp shouting at pigeons in the park for the first time during Spring and realising he''s made it through another cold, wet winter and there just may be hope for us all. Good for you Newton, you keep coming up with the FACTS.

Apples

[quote user="Gunthorpe"]Herman wrote the following post at 30/12/2015 1:45 PM:

Gunthorpe wrote:

What is your opinion - or will you just continue to make silly slick comments[/quote]My opinion is that we have a good mix of people on the board, all with differing attributes, from football, media, entertainment, business and, yes, the political worlds.Personally I don''t think McNally will have any more or an less power.