Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

No spending

Sounds like David McNally is preparing us for a non event in the transfer window ,if we don''t spend on a new striker and one or two players think our chances of surviving will be gone. Seen this before you would think board would see staying in this league as a top priority,and be prepared to invest .

There may be a surprise, but there may be disappointment, and there will certainly be for some who are expecting us to spend upwards of £20m on two or three players.

In his statement today AN didn''t rule out any named deals, merely that he was not going to talk about players in other clubs until agreement is reached.

They have made enquiries, and some have been followed up, and they have repeatedly said that they wish to do business early, to integrate them into the squad as soon as possible. This may not work out, as it apparently didn''t in one or two cases in the summer.

For my part I suspect that one of the signings may be on loan, now Jarvis has signed for us permanently. There seems general agreement over where the squad needs strengthening, but actual signings cannot be predicted at the moment.

Course it would have been much better if had said "Yeah, Norwich have got loads of money to spunk away this January, don''t let us fool you, we will happily overpay for whoever we want"[Y]

OP presume you have looked at Archants headline and jumped to your own conclusions. If you look at Sky Sports who are not trying to make an anti Norwich story what he actually said was we WILL be AMBITIOUS but not WRECKLESS which makes perfect sense to me as surely our club is more precious than sending us of to near bankrupcy again.

Please stop spreading anti Norwich untrue stories

Oh dear, Yellowfever is one of the miserablists outed by Bor for posting immediately after the Watford match. Quick to jump on any slight negatives, slow to praise any positives.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Oh dear, Yellowfever is one of the miserablists outed by Bor for posting immediately after the Watford match. Quick to jump on any slight negatives, slow to praise any positives.[/quote]
Yes, exactly.
Three threads immediately post-Watford, none post-Villa and then this gem pops up.
Pure Bin.

[quote user="Yellowforever"]Sounds like David McNally is preparing us for a non event in the transfer window ,if we don''t spend on a new striker and one or two players think our chances of surviving will be gone. Seen this before you would think board would see staying in this league as a top priority,and be prepared to invest .[/quote]

Two points:

1. He didn''t say we wouldn''t spend, he said we''d spend within our budget. A pretty obvious statement to make and sensible

2. Saying anything other than what he said would alert clubs to the fact we have money to spend

In summary, this post is pure speculation, none of us will know until 1st Feb

[quote user="Yellowforever"]Oh dear upset the natives I fear[/quote]

Because you took a positive story reworded it into a negative story in effect slating our club with something that wasnt correct. Our club for the next few months needs to be one and positive through the ups and downs. We dont need people like you trying to cause negativity which will of course filter down to the players.

If you do not like the way our club is run go and support Arsenal for your guaranteed top half finish

Just going on what happened in the summer linked with so many good players but either out bid or they choose other clubs ,would like to see us sign one or two quality players and stay up . I read it as a warning we won''t be spending much but will try to get a bargain ,which I suppose for a smaller club makes sense .

To be fair until we actually sign anyone it''s a valid point as we were the second lowest spenders behind Swansea in the summer I believe.

But I''d hope we would be looking to bring in 3 more with a few out the door and don''t forget we have already spent 2.5 million this Jan on Jarvis.

This type of post is what I like to call a "firework post"

Set off an explosion, stand back and watch it erupt.

This guy does this and touches himself. He''s one of "those"

See he''s in Lincolnshire so hopefully he''s currently in a boat where his Bedsit used to be.

Already posted this once  but this transfer wimdow is going to be almost identical to the summer one. Its clear once again that our two main needs, signing a dedicated striker and a dedicated CB will not happen. Not even into the window yet, and the two foreign CBs so talked about the last week or two are already spoken for, Kone off to Sunderland and Ranocchia off to Bologna. Who else was rumoured, Lees? lingering hamstring injury so likely to fail a medical, in anycase Sheff. Wed. will almost surely want him for their promotion drive. Caulker?..cant see it happening.What of strikers..my personal favourite, Haller?..its gone deathly quiet about him..Bamford?...he would likely choose Bournemouth, in anycase would be a loan like Mbokani. What are we likely to get? Matt Jarvis yes...2 n half mill...maybe Pinto..a RB who can play CB...just like Wisdom and Russ Martin then...Godfrey?...a young midfielder for the future 80k ...Naismith?...who knows, depends onhim and Martinez, a midfielder.So, looks like Matt Jarvis, 2 more midfielders (if Naismith signs) and a RB who can fill in CB (oh joy another one of those type),  and in the striker / CB department  loans at most. So maybe 5 or 6 mill in the window if we get Pinto and Godfrey, or 13 mill if we add Naismith. Not zero spending, but  of DMs speech...yes we will spend, but will not be reckless. Of course im sticking my neck out here with a simple personal opinion, but based on NCFC transfer windows of the past. City, prove me wrong!...lol

[quote user="Essjayess"]Already posted this once  but this transfer wimdow is going to be almost identical to the summer one. Its clear once again that our two main needs, signing a dedicated striker and a dedicated CB will not happen. Not even into the window yet, and the two foreign CBs so talked about the last week or two are already spoken for, Kone off to Sunderland and Ranocchia off to Bologna. Who else was rumoured, Lees? lingering hamstring injury so likely to fail a medical, in anycase Sheff. Wed. will almost surely want him for their promotion drive. Caulker?..cant see it happening.What of strikers..my personal favourite, Haller?..its gone deathly quiet about him..Bamford?...he would likely choose Bournemouth, in anycase would be a loan like Mbokani. What are we likely to get? Matt Jarvis yes...2 n half mill...maybe Pinto..a RB who can play CB...just like Wisdom and Russ Martin then...Godfrey?...a young midfielder for the future 80k ...Naismith?...who knows, depends onhim and Martinez, a midfielder.So, looks like Matt Jarvis, 2 more midfielders (if Naismith signs) and a RB who can fill in CB (oh joy another one of those type),  and in the striker / CB department  loans at most. So maybe 5 or 6 mill in the window if we get Pinto and Godfrey, or 13 mill if we add Naismith. Not zero spending, but  of DMs speech...yes we will spend, but will not be reckless. Of course im sticking my neck out here with a simple personal opinion, but based on NCFC transfer windows of the past. City, prove me wrong!...lol[/quote]You mean one single transfer window this summer which was actually a pretty succesful one apart from signing a defender?

[quote user="Mr Angry"]Oh dear, Yellowfever is one of the miserablists outed by Bor for posting immediately after the Watford match. Quick to jump on any slight negatives, slow to praise any positives.[/quote]

Should be on the menu of any proper fan. Being slightly negative is productive. It drives the club forward. Being a clapper, happy with everything, you get Steven Whittaker as our next CM. If you do not understand the dynamics and huuuuge worth of a proper old moan, at the right time, you will hopefully learn with time.

Moaning is an art, needs to be done with perfection. I am offering classes. Only 100 quid for a week course. Applicants taken via Twitter.

Mr Angry and Bor are good Bin-hounds Grefstad. I''d trust their sense of smell on this one.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Mr Angry"]Oh dear, Yellowfever is one of the miserablists outed by Bor for posting immediately after the Watford match. Quick to jump on any slight negatives, slow to praise any positives.[/quote]

Should be on the menu of any proper fan. Being slightly negative is productive. It drives the club forward. Being a clapper, happy with everything, you get Steven Whittaker as our next CM. If you do not understand the dynamics and huuuuge worth of a proper old moan, at the right time, you will hopefully learn with time.

Moaning is an art, needs to be done with perfection. I am offering classes. Only 100 quid for a week course. Applicants taken via Twitter.[/quote]

"Being slightly negative is productive".  Not true. Being slightly negative cannot lead to anything productive - in fact it is impossible and has a  backward effect.    The only reason to moan or be negative is to counteract any over positivity that there may be - and people you class as happy-clappers are not in the least over positive - they are simply recognising that the club is doing ok thank you and that there is no great need for negativity.   Having a good moan is just that - moaning - and has no useful purpose.  If you think it does, look at the amount of moaning that went on over Hughton and where that led.  Hughton may not have been the most inspirational or strong enough manager - but the negativity that spawned in the support, which started almost the day he arrived at the club, contributed in my view to the overall failure of that regime.  Negativity breeds negativity and nothing else.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC you really should let Hughton go, it''s eating away at you my boy, the matter has been done to death on here.😉[/quote]It''s not only about Hughton, it''s about negativity in fans and what effect they can have in any situation.  In my view, negativity in fans is harmful, unless it is to counteract over positivity.  A groundswell of negativity in a large group of people, without positivity being present anywhere - is very, very damaging. 

I see it as a positive sign that we have made enquiries and they have actually made the press. They have made a story of it and hinted that they are close to signing...which is typical. I think McNally is right to temper and say we will not be spending wrecklessly ... !

I hope we do make signings , cause we need a few players, but not at any cost... OP is jumping to conclusions...I am positive about the stories popping up, it means our club is doing some business...at least it means business

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC you really should let Hughton go, it''s eating away at you my boy, the matter has been done to death on here.😉[/quote]It''s not only about Hughton, it''s about negativity in fans and what effect they can have in any situation.  In my view, negativity in fans is harmful, unless it is to counteract over positivity.  A groundswell of negativity in a large group of people, without positivity being present anywhere - is very, very damaging. 

[/quote]You could probably look at someone like Steve Morison. The constant moaning and negativity that poor sod faced, from his own fans, obviously affected him. He wasn''t the best player we''ve ever had but some of the goals he got were very important in our first season back, and he played an important role keeping us up. But he still got lot of grief every time he touched the ball.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC you really should let Hughton go, it''s eating away at you my boy, the matter has been done to death on here.😉[/quote]It''s not only about Hughton, it''s about negativity in fans and what effect they can have in any situation.  In my view, negativity in fans is harmful, unless it is to counteract over positivity.  A groundswell of negativity in a large group of people, without positivity being present anywhere - is very, very damaging. 

[/quote]You could probably look at someone like Steve Morison. The constant moaning and negativity that poor sod faced, from his own fans, obviously affected him. He wasn''t the best player we''ve ever had but some of the goals he got were very important in our first season back, and he played an important role keeping us up. But he still got lot of grief every time he touched the ball.[/quote]Surman too suffered from it - he used to get regularly get grief from fans on here and at matches - when he was often on the left near the touhline where people could get to him. I''ll never forget a free kick he was about to take near the corner flag against Liverpool in the 2-5.  Just as he was starting his run up to the ball,  in the quiet of expectation that happens at that time - a fan nearby shouted a tirade of abuse at him and I am 100% sure it put him off.   Wilbraham used to get it - but he was an uber-positive type of character and rose above it.  I wouldn''t mind betting that Grabban is affected by some of the negativity that surrounds him - and it was there well before his spat last season, before anyone suggests otherwise.  Negativity on it''s own is damaging.

It is indeed of deep concern following the last, disastrous transfer window that the signals are we not are prepared/able to upgrade the areas of the team which needed attention in the Summer - RB, RCB and striker. Fundamentally, new investors are needed if we are to compete in the BPL. But then it is probably too late already.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It is indeed of deep concern following the last, disastrous transfer window that the signals are we not are prepared/able to upgrade the areas of the team which needed attention in the Summer - RB, RCB and striker. Fundamentally, new investors are needed if we are to compete in the BPL. But then it is probably too late already.[/quote]I agree, Highland. It was losing at Man Utd - a result you categorically predicted - that finally did for our hopes of staying up.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Mr Jenkins"]LDC you really should let Hughton go, it''s eating away at you my boy, the matter has been done to death on here.😉[/quote]It''s not only about Hughton, it''s about negativity in fans and what effect they can have in any situation.  In my view, negativity in fans is harmful, unless it is to counteract over positivity.  A groundswell of negativity in a large group of people, without positivity being present anywhere - is very, very damaging. 

[/quote]You could probably look at someone like Steve Morison. The constant moaning and negativity that poor sod faced, from his own fans, obviously affected him. He wasn''t the best player we''ve ever had but some of the goals he got were very important in our first season back, and he played an important role keeping us up. But he still got lot of grief every time he touched the ball.[/quote]Surman too suffered from it - he used to get regularly get grief from fans on here and at matches - when he was often on the left near the touhline where people could get to him. I''ll never forget a free kick he was about to take near the corner flag against Liverpool in the 2-5.  Just as he was starting his run up to the ball,  in the quiet of expectation that happens at that time - a fan nearby shouted a tirade of abuse at him and I am 100% sure it put him off.   Wilbraham used to get it - but he was an uber-positive type of character and rose above it.  I wouldn''t mind betting that Grabban is affected by some of the negativity that surrounds him - and it was there well before his spat last season, before anyone suggests otherwise.  Negativity on it''s own is damaging.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree about booing and abusing our own players during a game, it''s a shocking thing to do and can have no positive impact. However I think fans are perfectly entitled to express their opinion at the end of a game whether that be negative or positive.