Sign in to follow this  
Karl Pilkington

Mattias Jonson and City

Having read the "Francis Looked Happy" posts originally started by 1st Wizard I started thinking where Worthy thought Mattias Jonson fits into the City squad?? (If you have not read the post it moves on to him)

Where do you think he imagined him playing when he signed him?? I assumed he would not pay around £700,000 for a bench warmer.

I may be wrong, but I can''t remember seeing him play up front, which is where I thought he was to play. He has often been ineffective wide right, but then thats out of position. Can he play Attacking central midfield?? According to people who have seen him at Bronby....he can!! If so who would he replace

Is he just there as an alternative to Mackenzie??? Which is a role he could do, but I think he deserves better than the bench / reserves. I would expect better from him this season as the team''s at a lower level and it''s his second season at the club.

When I started this post I didn''t expect to answer the question, but I was hoping for a few suggestions.

The floor is open.

Personally I would like to see him play centre midfield with Safri, and get a out and out right winger who can cross the ball.

Ashton has height, McKenzie proved (against a lot of doubters from when we signed him) that he can score with his head, and we would benefit from the high balls from the wings, plus the pairing of Huckerby and Jonson attacking through the middle/left, I think we will score goals a plenty. Jarrett, is always an option to bring on as a more defensive minded player should the need arise.

Jonson CAN score goals, but also has the ability to play defensively when required, and will allow our wingers to attack.

This of course assumes that Francis is leaving!!!

I seem to remember reading reports of him when he signed describing him as "versatile" and mentioning that he can play in any position down the right, including right back, right mid and right forward.  So I don''t really think that playing him on the right is "out of position" as such.

I''d like to see him wide on the right again next year - he''s quick, knows how to pass the ball, and is also defensively-minded - in many ways, the perfect right winger!

It did take him some time to settle down, then once he did he got injured, then came back roughly at the same time as Bentley, who then reclaimed his own place on the right with some good performances.

Plus he''s a nutter who loves the rough and tumble of it all (how many head injuries did he get last season!?!) which means he''ll fit in nicely in the fizzy league, making it easier to find his feet, meaning he''ll be immense by the time we get promoted again in a year''s time...

For someone with apparently blistering pace, I have yet to see Jonsson take anyone on - if he had been a ''freebie'' at the beginning of the season and played as he did, then I doubt there would be many supporters wanting him to stay, criticising Worthy for buying poor players. For the money this club paid we should expect far more than we have seen to date. I have no idea what his best position is but he had better find it quickly. I still feel that he will also jump ship before the season starts.

Jonson HAS got stunning pace, I have seen him on the overlap a couple of times (cant remember the games.. doh!) but he didnt get the ball passed back to make it count. I think he''s been a bit of a grey man - not that he hasnt impressed, far from it, but hes had such a quiet role that he hasnt had the best opportunuities to make his presence felt. I agree that as a central midfielder and the use of an out and out right winger he could be pivotal. I think also if he was given the chance we could rely on him on the right and hopefully see a more dominant Jonson.

The best I have seen Jonson play by far was away to Portsmouth, when he filled in for the dismissed Eddie at right back.  He was awesome, worked tirelessly - nothing got past him.

Has anyone noticed we only have one right back at the club?  Hmmmm.

three options I think. he either plays wide right with hucks
wide left in a 4-4-2. he plays the scholes role in a 4-3-3
with jarrett and safri in the holding role, or he becomes
a very versatile bench player.

Interesting to see how we line up come opening day of the season.

[quote]For someone with apparently blistering pace, I have yet to see Jonsson take anyone on - if he had been a ''freebie'' at the beginning of the season and played as he did, then I doubt there would be many...[/quote]

Although of course possible that Jonson could leave, i feel i have to say that it is unlikely, considering the fact that the player himself has released a press statement, saying that he will be here come the start of the season and so is committed to the canary cause.

These things have been said before by a player, only for them to move later on, however, i disagree that Jonson will jump ship.

I thought Worthy said when Jonson signed that despite him getting the No9 shirt, he *wasn''t* a striker. He certainly played right wing for Sweden on a number of occaisions, including in Euro 2004 against Denmark when he scored the equaliser. I don''t believe the right wing position is playing him out of position, in the same way that playing Hendo there obviously is. I agree he was excellent at RB, and can tackle far better than any other forward I can think of!

I only saw him live in one game last season, when he replaced Bentley on the right wing at Fulham. He looked strong and full of pace, but all his shots and crosses were off target (too high mainly). He was putting in the effort though.

He looked great against Liverpool I agree, where he seemed to have a free license to cause mayhem. The cross pitch pass for Jarvis was class. Maybe;

- he needs a free role to excel, which we couldn''t afford him in the Prem? or

- he suffered playing in a team that, lets be honest, was poor for off the ball movement? or

- he didn''t commit himself forward because he was told to focus on defensive duties? Eddy was always going forward, did Jonson need to fill the gap?

Whatever, I hope he will be with us next season as he hasn''t repayed the transfer fee yet. I have a gut feeling he is going to be awesome in the Championship... on the right wing.

Its funny, when he arrived I heard rumours that he was "As quick as huckerby", maybe this season will be the one? In a lower standard he should get more confidence to take on defenders and beat them. Lets hope so anyway..

The other ''memorable'' game from Jonson came in the second half against Bolton.  Most people recall the contribution Bentley made but Jonson was also superb that day.

He was used as part of 3 sitting behind Sven as the lone striker.  Two midfielders sat deep and fed Jonson, Hux and Bents, who had pretty much the freedom of the pitch.  We played Bolton of the field.  

Jonson looked like the player were were promised but we didnt play that formation again, much to my disappointment.  

To me it seems he needs the freedom to be creative and he will be OK but when confinded to a flank becomes over-occupied with the defensive task, pretty much as Hendo does when playing on the right.  

I do think there is far better to come if the club can find a way to utilise his potential.

OTBC