Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ed Balls explains

PurpleCanary wrote the following post at 31/12/2015 10:13 AM:

Vanwink wrote:

I don''t want to get into a debate about semantics Purple, my interpretation from what you said was that your information had come from a source at the club, if it''s from somewhere else outside the club it''s just the sort of speculation and pub talk I referred to earlier. If we are seriously considering a more liberal financial strategy I would have thought the purpose of that would be to invest more in the squad balanced against the better commercial income from sustaining Premier League status. That may well flavour our approach to bidding for players in this window and could have an impact on our negotiations, but I only speculate.

Vanwink, I have sent you a PM.

We need to stop speculating and get in with Purple = See above he knows exactly what is going on through his secret contacts but will only let close associates know via a PM

He will never PM me as I think he is a verbose pompas twit When someone finds out can they let me know please ?

It''s "Pompous".

If you are going to insult other posters then please at least spell your insults correctly.

I judge you when you misspell words. Your powers are weak.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]It''s "Pompous".

If you are going to insult other posters then please at least spell your insults correctly.....[/quote]Por Nuton, speling wus neva won ov hiz strong poynts........[:S]

lappinitup wrote the following post at 31/12/2015 8:39 PM:

Darth Bor wrote:

It''s "Pompous". If you are going to insult other posters then please at least spell your insults correctly.....

Por Nuton, speling wus neva won ov hiz strong poynts..

Slappy no idea what you are talking about but then I notice you post absolute trash all the time

No change there then

Bor = reincarnated yet again - thank you for correcting my spelling, much appreciated

Feel 3 resolutions coming :-

Me - Learn to spell

Bor - change personality on a more frequent basis

Slappyup - apply again for that brain transplant - it was not right when they turned you down last time on the basis of you never had a brain first time round

The only reason to take on extra debt at this stage is to try and dig the club out of the hole it''s in.After our last experience, in which the owners piled on several £m to a pre-existing debt and ended up in Division 3, I''d be surprised if plans to take on new debt weren''t anything other than a medium term arrangement. That said, a lot of large debts start off as small ones, and like any vice they become addictive.It would be far better if the club was run more efficiently before resorting to debt. If we don''t head in the right direction then our place in the PL will be at risk, our luck will run out and we''ll be stuck in the Championship for years.Tough decisions need to be made to break the cycle of decline, but taking on more debt seems to me to be taking the easy way out.

[quote user="9Зvintage"]The only reason to take on extra debt at this stage is to try and dig the club out of the hole it''s in.After our last experience, in which the owners piled on several £m to a pre-existing debt and ended up in Division 3, I''d be surprised if plans to take on new debt weren''t anything other than a medium term arrangement. That said, a lot of large debts start off as small ones, and like any vice they become addictive.It would be far better if the club was run more efficiently before resorting to debt. If we don''t head in the right direction then our place in the PL will be at risk, our luck will run out and we''ll be stuck in the Championship for years.Tough decisions need to be made to break the cycle of decline, but taking on more debt seems to me to be taking the easy way out.[/quote]
Hole? Cycle of decline? That ''93 vintage must be strong stuff!

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="Indy"]As I recall, Prudence with Ambition wasn''t a Norwich way till Bowkett came onboard, we had debts of nearing 27 million, with a relegated team made up of several loan players.

So to ditch this idea is just going backwards, mind you Purple and Nutty might find this not to be true, so I''ll wait for fact based response.[/quote]

It was spoken about long before ''Bowkett came onboard''.http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/741829/ShowPost.aspxThe above post is from 2006.

[/quote]

Thanks LOS, I couldn''t remember when this phrase was first pulled out. Nutty, I didn''t write my comment to offend just assumed you & Purple would know.

That said 2006 to 2009 we built up debt with a shed load of loan fees under some poor managers and a poor CEO.

We had never really acted under real restrictions, if the board feel they can relax the purse strings then great. Hopefully not too relaxed to risk the club.

Well this is a new year and hopefully one with a few decent signings and 17th place finish come May!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

Newthorpe, or is it Gunton?1) Ed Balls spent 13 years as a key (probably the key) adviser to Gordon Brown, before and after Labour came to power. His job involved thinking strategically about how to manage the world''s fifth biggest economy. In other words, serious decisions about finance with enormous long-term implications.2) I and others in the Inner-Inner Circle understand that our board is contemplating ditching the purely "live within our means" model. In other words, a serious decison about finance with enormous long-term implications.It could be Ed Balls, with his new-found culinary interests, is just here to oversee an improvement in the production of sausage rolls. A more likely reason is his heavy-hitting economic background, with a specific and deliberate link between 1) and 2).

[/quote]It doesn''t seem to have been much commented on (sadly there has been too much emphasis on point-scoring about his politics) but Ed Balls'' first statement as chairman is potentially significant:"We’ve now been in the Premier League for four

years out of five, but I don’t think anybody yet feels our long-term future as

a Premier League club is secure, that’s work which we still need to do,”
he

said. “There is a real sense of purpose and strategy, the club is thinking

about the next transfer window and the one after, and how we make sure that we

secure ourselves commercially and financially
.” He added that part of his work would be to look at a 10-year plan for the Canaries.Those are hardly the comments of someone who will just blindly let things carry on as they are. They are the comments of someone who is at the very least deteremined to examine financial options for the club to see if there is a viable alternative. And since Balls is there talking about formulating a a 10-year plan, the claim that a decision has already been taken to rule out any change of policy makes no sense at all.