Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Most English Players?

With Svensson, Helveg, Holt, Mulryne, McVeigh and poss Francis going, with the exception of Louis Jean in, we are now nearly a fully English team.  Only exceptions I can think of are Doherty and Jonson.

I am sure there is not another team with that many English players.

I was thinking that at the Fulham game.

We must have had around seven or eight English in the team that day. From memory we had Green, Drury, Shacks, Flem, Hucks, Dean, Leon.

we had the most english players played last year.

As in the most english players playing each game. I think it was based on the starting 11. Anyhow, i think it was in the edp or something, we were first, chelsea being last i believe.

[quote]we had the most english players played last year. As in the most english players playing each game. I think it was based on the starting 11. Anyhow, i think it was in the edp or something, we were fi...[/quote]

That hardly makes buying worthys preference of buying mainly English a virtue or a successful tactis to avoid relegation does it?  I think a similar thing has happened year on year in the prem.

When Worthy finally realises that football is won by controlling the football and not just running about like a headless chicken (Flem, Eddy, Holt last year) will he sign the QUALITY of players we need to take the club to another level.

OTBC  

ZLF - our headless chickens weren''t headless (or chickens) because they were English (or Scottish).

I wasn''t as enamoured by Helveg as you were and I thought Jonson was a big disappointment but I woudn''t say no to any decent player - regardless of nationality - if they assisted with promotion.

i like to see teams with english players. i strongly believe there should be quotas (i do realise it would never happen), too many managers turn to foreign players without giving english lads the chance. i think the ammount english players and clubs want in wages and fees also affects this.

how many of those players came through your academy? this isn''t a dig, i''m just wondering.

[quote]That hardly makes buying worthys preference of buying mainly English a virtue or a successful tactis to avoid relegation does it? I think a similar thing has happened year on year in the prem. Wh...[/quote]

I start talking about English players and one of the Worthy bashers jumps in to slag him off!

I really hope Worthy does not read these boards and hope he realises that most proper fans are totally behind him and the success he has brought to the club.

[quote]I start talking about English players and one of the Worthy bashers jumps in to slag him off! I really hope Worthy does not read these boards and hope he realises that most proper fans are totally be...[/quote]

Thanks Tumbleweed and FTFW for the backing!  

I agree with FTFW that irregardless of the nationality we need quality players in all positions and the comment about Andy Hughes worries me as he is described as a 100%-er.  I have had it with worthys over reliance on 100%-ers who generally dont have the level of footballing ability to do the job we need.  I would start with Damo giving 80% 1 game in five ahead of holts 100% every week because one will win a game for you while the other was simply ineffective (at prem level here).   Eddy was the same - everyones loves his enthusiasm and attacking ability but sometimes that simply is not enough.     Give me a squad of hard working QUALITY players evry time.     Dicky - in many ways I am anti-Worthy and in others I am very pro worthy.

Without a doubt Worthy and the board have transformed the clubs following some dark times and he deserves every plaudit he gets for that.  In my mind clubs succeed longer term byhaving a sound strategy at board level and a good tactial leader whocan deliver that strategy throough his operational unit.  So far worthy is doing just that and continues to improve thelevel of teh squad year on year. Our sqyuad is unrecognisable from 3 seasons ago and we are infintitely stronger as a result.  I am confident that we will have to pay Cardiff that £200k for thorne, ifnot this season then next.   Like Bolton and Charlton our continued improvement means taking relegation as a short term hurdle, as getting promoted a season earlier than planned was a boost.  Worthy IS THE RIGHT MAN to lead our promotion challenge.  We are likely to succeed if the squad takes a roll upthe sleeves and get on with the job approach rather than the west ham, we aint changing here mentality - Worthy will get that right. 

In addition he handled the glare of the national media well last season, presenting the club ina  postive light and refused to be part of the I will blame everyone else away from the club for the defeat that club managers (Colin, souness, hughes, fergie, wenger etc etc etc) take ona daily basis - should some b*lls guys and accept some blame!

However his has not been a flawless performance.  While we do not see everything going on behind the scenes my view is that his man management leaves something to be desired, on occassions his tactical naivety is staggering, his persistance at playing people out of position frustrating,  his use of substitutes baffling in the extreme, his reluctance to give talented youngster to prove their ability (Jarvis this year please) and his inability to drop players who underperform week on week did cost us points and therefore relegation last season.  As FMF points out the balance of the squad is not yet right but I am more confident this will be sorted out before the start of the season than finding out how to play hux without compromising the defence like he did last season.

Get these problems sorted and he will be an excellent coach instead of one who has potential.   Like players managers at some stage have to convert their potential into delivery of result.

Worthy has my blessing, but anyones saying he is perfect is living in a fantasy world and I fully understand FMF et al views as their criticisms of worthy are very valid.  If the results go right then excellent - but I will continue to voice my frustrations then when I think he gets it wrong - but only on forum such as these after the game, not at the match.  My first barometer test will be wethe

Zip, I take my hat off to you.

"Worthy bashing" and pointing out weaknesses are two different things and shouldn''t be confused.

As regards the foreign players issue, think about those matches that were won by Berkovic, Berger, Ginola, Di Canio, Bernabia, Zola etc. Although they didn''t always chase the ball around giving the dreaded "100%", they could change a game in a second. I feel we need a spark of creativity (and have said this since McVeigh was dropped) and hope we find one in the summer re-building plan.

Zipper - glad you are showing a lot of support for Worthy, but as you rightly say, you DO NOT know what goes on behind the scenes, so the Worthy bashers who judge everything on results are taking a very simplistic view. 

Worthy has a very difficult job and the fact that he gets far more things right than wrong means that we should give him our total support.  We know that the players play better with the fans totally behind them, so by supporting our manager, we help the club forward.

Of course I disagree with tactical decisions, substitutions etc regularly, but it would be very easy for me to criticise at every opportunity.

Worthy is totally committed to my club, he has taken us further than I could possibly have hoped in the time he has been here, bearing in mind the monetary constraints and being realistic the fact that Norwich are not always going to be players'' preferred choice.  The fact players such as Hux and Deano are at the club say a lot about the manager.

I for one am very optomistic about next season with Worthy at the helm, but urge all supporters to get behind him.  No more talk of Burley etc when we have the best man already.

He is also a great ambassador for our great club.

Dicky,

Discussing wothys strengths and weaknesses is very different to orchestrating a worthy out campaign and I do not recall anything but the most vocal support on match days for the team, even when they played abysmally badly.   Many of my posts can be construed as worthy bashing but I think I am more neutral on this debate than most.  However I cannot do anything but agree with the points that are being made about Worthys shortfalls as they are very valid and do need to be addressed and improved upon before this club can take the next steps forward.  Managerial mistakes over tactics & defensive players did cost us relegation last season.  Players mistakes get criticised so why not the managers?

I admit that I do not what goes on behind the scenes but neither do you  but the handling McVeigh, Doc, Charlie, Helveg, Flem, Eddy and Safri last season alone highlights that all is not well there - of the negatives I would not put any of them in the fiery over opinionated camp yet they all had their ''punishments'' ; thats too many to be coincidental and has been a consistent feature season by season since saint nige took over.

As far as having the ''best'' manager well I think the likes of Guus hiddink in particular (the mans a genius) but also Robson, Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson, Sacchi and Burley (rightly in the recent top 50 world managers poll) may have a claim on that one before our Nige... let alone the dowies,redknapps and gradis in the champs.

Even the most ardent so called worthy basher has accepted that he is the right man to start the season.

Nige has his strengths, but also many blind spots which do not appear to be improving and that is my concern, but more importantly worthy DOES have our backing on match days which is when it counts.

OTBC

ZLF - a true city fan.

ZLF - if you agree that Worthy is the best man for the job, why spend so much time slating him? Just a thought.

[quote]ZLF - if you agree that Worthy is the best man for the job, why spend so much time slating him? Just a thought.[/quote]

The two simply are not mutually exclusive - as one mans slating is anothers constructive criticism.

OTBC

[quote]The two simply are not mutually exclusive - as one mans slating is anothers constructive criticism. OTBC[/quote]

What''s constructive about "criticising" someone constantly on a bulleting board?

[quote]What''s constructive about "criticising" someone constantly on a bulleting board?[/quote]

Oh, FFS!   How can I be constantly criticising when I was one of the first to praise the Thorne signing when most posters were initially negative??

Dicky, we will just have to agree to disagree - I''ll carry on posting my thoughts on how this club can improve (criticising if you like) as well as praising when things are going well and I''ll leave you to continue to see things through your blinkered yellow and green specs.

OTBC

ZLF - you really should keep your "Dicky" bashing private.

Meanwhile, although I don''t always agree with your comments (and vice versa) I can always see your viewpoint.

As for Fleming''s inclusion next season surely this won''t be such an issue in the Championship. He may not be Premier quality but he should cope well in the 2nd tier (ditto Jonson.....and Edworthy had we retained him). I certainly have no preference for Doherty and although I prefer Charlton to Fleming I think 2 very left-footed central defenders might not be compatible.