Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's relegation prediction update Xmas 2015

Thinking about it, I reckon the 3rd relegation spot is between us, Swansea, Bournemouth & Newcastle/Sunderland.

I''m confident we''re better equipped all round than any of those. I feel more optimistic now.

[quote user="ron obvious"]Thinking about it, I reckon the 3rd relegation spot is between us, Swansea, Bournemouth & Newcastle/Sunderland.

I''m confident we''re better equipped all round than any of those. I feel more optimistic now.[/quote]
Who do you have going down with Villa ?

CA, I reckon either Newcastle/Sunderland will be 2nd bottom. More a hunch than anything else - could be Bournemouth I suppose, but I think their weary perennial relegation fight will get to one of those two.

[quote user="grefstad"]Very good writeup from a quality poster.

Agree with all of this.

Swansea got 3 clean sheets in a row now, so the certainly got the ability to scrap for points.

Personally I think the points needed for survival this season will be quite high, as I expect, as Ricardo, 2 teams to be cut off from the rest, and it will be a mighty scrap to avoid the last relegation spot.

I fear teams can even go down on 40 points this year. A tally normally seen as safe, but in a season where surprises seem to be the norm, it could all be different from the usual this season. Hope I am wrong
.[/quote]I have seen and heard this mentioned on several occasions but is there any evidence to support it? Several of the lower teams have indeed had spectacular results against some of the big boys and this should show up in the stats as a more compressed league and higher points totals for the bottom half dozen strugglers at this halfway stage of the season. I decided to look at the last 15 seasons to see if there is any evidence for this.Average cumulative points after 19 games:-                                                                  bottom three                              bottom six                                                                         43.4                                         98.7This seasons cumulative points after 19 games (Sunderland 1 game to play)                                                                  bottom three                              bottom six                                                                         37                                             96So absolutely nothing there to suggest that this season will need an above average final points total.

There have been very few seasons when 40 points or move have been needed so I decided to look at those two seasons to see if they throw any further  light on the subject. 2002/03 West Ham relegated on 42 points and 2010/11 Wolves safe on 40 points.                                                                   bottom three                              bottom six       2002/03                                                        48                                             109       2010/11                                                        53                                             112So yes, there is some evidence to show that a high points total for the strugglers at the halfway stage of a season means a higher target for safety but absolutely nothing to show that this season is one of those.There is a lot of time for things to change but nothing so far to show that this season isn''t bang average and in that case there will be four or five teams with fewer than 40 points and 38 points is still very likely to be quite safe.

Bravo Ricardo, good analysis.

Existing 20 points + Jarvis + Naismith + one or two others +''renewed sense of optimism therefore needs to equal = 18 points from 19 games.

Tight, but achievable. Good manager at the helm, new chairman, good time for positive playing investment and support from all.

Parma

Statistics suggests that we will be fine. Last season we collected 0 points under Alex Neil before 10 January, while after that period our tally was 46 points. This season, even before 10 Jan we already have 20 points, add 46 until the end of the season and we''ll be fine with around 66 points. Simple As.

Thanks, Ricardo, great analysis regarding the stats.

Points tital is one thing, but for the bottom 6-8 teams , it is vastly important where points are won and lost. Wining against teams around you have "added value" compared to winning against a team nearer the top (or cut adrift at the bottom), due to the "double whammy" effect.

Just had a look at the half way point over the last few PL seasons and usually at least 1 team (sometimes 2) who were in the bottom 3 at the halfway point, get out of it and 1 (or 2) teams who weren''t in the bottom 3 at halfway get relegated.  [:S]

With things tight around 15-18th, signings could be a significant factor. At least Newcastle and Bournemouth could be expected to push the boat out somewhat in this regard.Bournemouth of course had several long term injuries to key players, plus have the monetary backing. We didn''t get a huge amount done in the last window and I think the same was true of Swansea. So there could be a lot riding on the amount/quality of business to be done.

Only one team has survived with the number of points both Sunderland and Aston Villa have accumulated so far - last nights defeat to Liverpool has pretty much confirmed (pretty much, not mathematically of course) that Sunderland are heading down as well. It leaves us with a realistic 1 in 4 chance of survival.

[quote user="ricardo"]I will state quite categorically here and now that there is absolutely no possibility of Everton or Southampton being drawn into a relegation scrap.[/quote]Well, if we''re in a relegation scrap then so are Southampton
1420-923
What''s more, our current form is good & theirs is poor - our last 8 games 14 points, Southampton last 8 games, 7 points