Sign in to follow this  
jamie 10

Van dijk

Dose anyone think we missed out on this player 6 months ago from his performance? Vadis has to start the next game he looked so composed today

Vadis has looked good the last two occasions he has featured in but am I alone in thinking he''s maybe a tad overweight? Please don''t misconstrued this as a slight against him, just an observation, maybe with more games he will shed that image.

[quote user="Ron Manager"]Vadis has looked good the last two occasions he has featured in but am I alone in thinking he''s maybe a tad overweight? Please don''t misconstrued this as a slight against him, just an observation, maybe with more games he will shed that image.[/quote]
He''s a big bloke anyway, he''s got a fairly broad frame. Didn''t think he looked any more so today.

I didn''t think he looks overweight, he''s probably had to strengthen up to adjust to English football. You can''t be a skinny weed in this league!

OK, I agree he is looking like a good player though!

Van dijk is a good player and a massive threat from set pieces.

Vadis was quality today and has been whenever I''ve seen him play, albeit that''s not a great deal! He adds much needed physical presence to our team so I''m happy for him to remain as he is.

One of the callers on Canary Call made a good point re VOO, suggesting he''s an improved version of Johnson.

I think if he can get a run of games he''ll be massive player for us, and I don''t mean in size.....ha ha.

Mbonaki is now looking like he''s getting used to the English style of football, he leads the line well, gives defenders a hard time and holds the ball up really well. Will only get better with games like VOO

[quote user="Clint"]Van dijk is a good player and a massive threat from set pieces.

Vadis was quality today and has been whenever I''ve seen him play, albeit that''s not a great deal! He adds much needed physical presence to our team so I''m happy for him to remain as he is.[/quote]

That makes Mbokani world class could not near him and despite the height difference Mbokani won nearly every header

I may be wrong but Mbokani wasn''t making Van dijk was he? I thought Bennett was?

Given the £ money spent on Van Dijk I''d be very disappointed if I were a Southampton fan! Neat enough on the deck, but missed the opportunity of getting 2 or 3 headers on target from corners. For around a quarter of Van Dijk''s transfer fee, Ryan Bennett was every bit his equal today.

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Given the £ money spent on Van Dijk I''d be very disappointed if I were a Southampton fan! Neat enough on the deck, but missed the opportunity of getting 2 or 3 headers on target from corners. For around a quarter of Van Dijk''s transfer fee, Ryan Bennett was every bit his equal today.[/quote]

Bennett was immense today, Van Dijk was a cry baby. I''d rather have Bennett on today''s match. Strange what ya find under your nose all the time - Murphy brothers in for Redderz?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Given the £ money spent on Van Dijk I''d be very disappointed if I were a Southampton fan! Neat enough on the deck, but missed the opportunity of getting 2 or 3 headers on target from corners. For around a quarter of Van Dijk''s transfer fee, Ryan Bennett was every bit his equal today.[/quote]

Bennett was immense today, Van Dijk was a cry baby. I''d rather have Bennett on today''s match. Strange what ya find under your nose all the time - Murphy brothers in for Redderz?

Can''t agree more, the only difference between him and Bennett is their distribution. Both seem solid in their role but the money Southampton paid I think I would be a little disappointed. Would like us to sign another CB in the window who can build a partnership with Bennett like bassong has done.

I think next year will be a big year, if we don''t use the Murphy boys next year I can see us potentially losing them, it''s good for them to get game time at the moment for their age but I can''t see them wanting to be shipped out year after year. I think they are more than capable going forward but it''s defensively I think they will come undone

[quote user="Lewis DW"]I''d rather have Bennett[/quote]

Totally agree, if Van Dijk is supposedly worth £11mill, then on present form Ryan Bennett is currently worth around the same, his form has been outstanding over the last 6 games, if he was an Italian we had recently brought in this board would be covered in Jazz😜

Ryan Bennett deserves all the credit coming his way at the moment, But Van Dijk is a man mountain, and a to player, imagine him with Bennett ?

Wanyamma on the other hand, what a prick.

[quote user="funny old game"][quote user="Lewis DW"]I''d rather have Bennett[/quote]

Totally agree, if Van Dijk is supposedly worth £11mill, then on present form Ryan Bennett is currently worth around the same, his form has been outstanding over the last 6 games, if he was an Italian we had recently brought in this board would be covered in Jazz😜[/quote]
I did wonder who all those unknown faces in the main stand were. Must have been scouts from several major European clubs all watching Bennett today. Wenger has said he intends to buy in January and Arsenal need someone better than Mertesacker at RCB. I''d say Ryan was a shoe in at £11mill, wouldn''t you?

Van Dijk is a very good player and has had a good season, though it''s nice to see people giving recognition to Bennett as well for us. There were many who said Martin was our best CB here; they look silly now, very silly.

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Van Dijk is a very good player and has had a good season, though it''s nice to see people giving recognition to Bennett as well for us. There were many who said Martin was our best CB here; they look silly now, very silly.[/quote]
I don''t recall anybody on here saying Russ Martin is/was our best CB; that soubriquet has always been Seb Bassong''s since AN brought him back into the team. Who are these "very silly" people exactly? 
Several posters have said that Martin is our best option at RCB, and judging by the majority of his team selections (including against Everton), AN agreed with them. I''m interested in whether you think AN would have made the same half-time changes against Everton if Wisdom had not been injured, and who you think he will continue to prefer at RCB when Wisdom returns and/or we sign a quality RB this window (assuming the latter question is not made redundant by the arrival of a new, stellar CB).