Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

steven naismith signing for £8 million

Absolutely, TJ - many Everton fans seem disappointed to see him go and think he could/should have been playing. He''s usually not an out and out striker, IMO he''s the equivalent of Wes, not Jerome, against whom I''m certain he compares pretty favourably to stat-wise.

Depends what stats you''re looking at, Branston. If you''re on about goal-scoring, then definitely. Goals for each since Naismith moved to Everton (2012/13 season):

Naismith: 25

Hoolahan: 12

However, a mere 4 assists in his four-year career at Everton doesn''t look too great against Hoolahan''s 27 assists in his previous five seasons with Norwich, including six this year. Wes, by the way, has now provided more assists for Norwich City than any other player in Premier League history.

I''d be happy with this. He''ll bring goals from somewhere other than a striker, though not much else than that. I''d even be ok with it instead of a striker (though that would be disappoint, he probably brings the small amount of goals needed by himself without breaking the bank on question marks). Again, not a big Gayle fan but if that is an option to come along with Neismith than it''s pretty good business to scrape survival.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Captain Canary"]A hard working striker who can''t score goals. Do you honestly think this is what we need??!!!!??!!!?[/quote]Yes, breaking our transfer record for a crocked workhorse isn''t something to clap and cheer about. The club''s in a hole and McNally is busy handing out shovels.[/quote]

Crocked? Enlighten me? The everton fans i''ve spoken to are kind of sad to see him leave, but appreciate the cashing in and the gamble.

There are even some that think he should play over the talented but naive Deulofeu or Barkley. Make of that what you will...[/quote]He''s had 2 cruciate injuries.

Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.

"Tettey''s Jig"Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.

He''s lazy and doesn''t involve himself much. All this BS about him being a hardworker is hilarious. He is very intelligent and reads the game better than most, his best asset is finding himself in the right place for a shot than anything else.

He''ll link up play more than playmake. Pass and move rather than finding a defense unlocking pass.

[quote user="jaemae2"]"Tettey''s Jig"Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

He''s lazy and doesn''t involve himself much. All this BS about him being a hardworker is hilarious. He is very intelligent and reads the game better than most, his best asset is finding himself in the right place for a shot than anything else.

He''ll link up play more than playmake. Pass and move rather than finding a defense unlocking pass.[/quote]Despite pretty much every comment by Everton fans being the contrary?

hey, you can form your own opinion. People think Gary Hooper works hard when he''s on the field. Celtic fans think he''s amazing. Fans views can be pretty stupid.

Not seen enough to know whether it''s true or not tbf. We all know the polarised views we used to have on Steve Morison...

The naismith i''ve seen seems to track back, have a good attitude and involve himself all over the pitch, but the lack of assists is telling.

[quote user="jaemae2"]hey, you can form your own opinion. People think Gary Hooper works hard when he''s on the field. Celtic fans think he''s amazing. Fans views can be pretty stupid.[/quote]Indeed.

TJ, his last cruciate was 2011 and the first one was 2008, so it''s been a while, although he''s picked up other niggles along the way - an achilles tendon flaring up recently, for example.

Another stat that may be of interest concerning our possible new No.10, pass completion:

Naismith in the PL: 73%

Hoolahan in the PL: 83%

And in case anyone wonders whether Naismith ''puts himself about more'', tackles per PL game:

Naismith: 1.12

Hoolahan: 1.2

Guess we''ll see... it''s not all about tackles though, some of it is simply closing down etc. Plus the roles they play in each game make a difference. Naismith sometimes leads the line where he won''t need to make a tackle whereas Hoolahan always plays CAM and therefore pretty much always has a smidgen of defensive responsibility.

The issue with Wes'' defensive game has never been his work rate, rather his effectiveness at it.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]TJ, his last cruciate was 2011 and the first one was 2008, so it''s been a while, although he''s picked up other niggles along the way - an achilles tendon flaring up recently, for example.

Another stat that may be of interest concerning our possible new No.10, pass completion:

Naismith in the PL: 73%

Hoolahan in the PL: 83%

And in case anyone wonders whether Naismith ''puts himself about more'', tackles per PL game:

Naismith: 1.12

Hoolahan: 1.2[/quote]Do you know if it was the same knee both times?

Would say the game has evolved, TJ, so that forwards now do have to close down and tackle where possible. It''s what makes Leicester - and Liverpool before them - so effective as they win the ball back high up the pitch.

And, Morty, he''s has cruciate issues on both knees.

[quote user="Captain Canary"]A hard working striker who can''t score goals. Do you honestly think this is what we need??!!!!??!!!?[/quote]

Just shows what you know !!

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.[/quote]One was in May 2008 and the other in Nov 2011. I''m not sure of the former, but the latter was the anterior cruciate.Anterior injuries are preferable to posterior ones apparently, but as I understand things associated problems can appear later on in both types.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Would say the game has evolved, TJ, so that forwards now do have to close down and tackle where possible. It''s what makes Leicester - and Liverpool before them - so effective as they win the ball back high up the pitch.

And, Morty, he''s has cruciate issues on both knees.[/quote][Y]

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.[/quote]One was in May 2008 and the other in Nov 2011. I''m not sure of the former, but the latter was the anterior cruciate.Anterior injuries are preferable to posterior ones apparently, but as I understand things associated problems can appear later on in both types.[/quote]Yeah I have done the ACL in my left knee twice. No theres no real long term issues, other than an increased risk of arthritis in much later life.Modern day patellar tendon grafts are very strong.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Guess we''ll see... it''s not all about tackles though, some of it is simply closing down etc. Plus the roles they play in each game make a difference. Naismith sometimes leads the line where he won''t need to make a tackle whereas Hoolahan always plays CAM and therefore pretty much always has a smidgen of defensive responsibility.

The issue with Wes'' defensive game has never been his work rate, rather his effectiveness at it.[/quote]

I actually enjoy him quite a bit. I''m not gonna run around claiming he''s something he''s not though.

Although it is a lot of money (if that is the correct figure) as others have said; it''ll be worth it if we stay up. Now we need to spend even more on a centre/defensive midfielder and a defender.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.[/quote]One was in May 2008 and the other in Nov 2011. I''m not sure of the former, but the latter was the anterior cruciate.Anterior injuries are preferable to posterior ones apparently, but as I understand things associated problems can appear later on in both types.[/quote]Yeah I have done the ACL in my left knee twice. No theres no real long term issues, other than an increased risk of arthritis in much later life.Modern day patellar tendon grafts are very strong.[/quote]It''s true that surgical techniques have improved a lot in the past couple of decades or so, but there''s a difference between say playing amateur sport and being a PL footballer after having had surgery. I''d be worried about further injury issues showing up and a decline in agility.All things considered £8m is a bit on the high side. £5-7m would be fairer, but it''s January and other clubs know that we need to do business.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Fair enough... when was the last one? I don''t remember him being out for ages apart from a couple of seasons ago.

I am a bit surprised at the lack of assists as the guy above stated though, thought he''d have more.[/quote]One was in May 2008 and the other in Nov 2011. I''m not sure of the former, but the latter was the anterior cruciate.Anterior injuries are preferable to posterior ones apparently, but as I understand things associated problems can appear later on in both types.[/quote]Yeah I have done the ACL in my left knee twice. No theres no real long term issues, other than an increased risk of arthritis in much later life.Modern day patellar tendon grafts are very strong.[/quote]It''s true that surgical techniques have improved a lot in the past couple of decades or so, but there''s a difference between say playing amateur sport and being a PL footballer after having had surgery. I''d be worried about further injury issues showing up and a decline in agility.All things considered £8m is a bit on the high side. £5-7m would be fairer, but it''s January and other clubs know that we need to do business.[/quote]With his last injury being five years ago, and he has been playing top level football since, I honestly wouldn''t consider it a risk. Some players lose a bit of pace, and confidence can initially be an issue, but I would say he''s long past that stage.

Just curious because no-one fancied Austin because of his injury record. Think Naysmith will be a good addition, but at 29, and with these injuries (albeit years since last one!) £8m is high?

Will he be played as a out and out striker, or a no.10 with Wes?

I see this signing as an attempt to bring a welcome end to the one thing Norwich City teams have always done since I was a lad, which is to get to the edge of the opposition box and then faff about until we lose it.