Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

steven naismith signing for £8 million

Thank you. So as I and many have said on this thread it simply comes down to money. Pay the wages and they will come irrespective of location

It''s quite clearly a combination of the two things

You think before they threw a bus load of money at him shaqiri was desperate to join Stoke?

I reckon I still just about qualify as ''young person.'' I am however not a professional footballer. I live in London but would jump at the chance to move back to Norwich but only because I know the city and have a big connection to the area.

However my friends with no connection to the city aren''t exactly queuing up to make the move out East. The general perception of Norwich in the rest of the country is that it is a bit sleepy, a bit slow and a bit isolated. Lots of people who don''t know the area think of it as a bit of a ''hicksville'' full or farms and people chewing on straw.

We all know this isn''t true but most footballers won''t. The bright lights of more famous cities will appeal more we have to combat that.

If selling the location, rather than the club, has been identified as being crucial to a deal I presume the club has a web address where they can refer prospective signings, doing a good PR job on the City.

Buh wrote the following post at 03/01/2016 8:16 PM:

It''s quite clearly a combination of the two things

You think before they threw a bus load of money at him shaqiri was desperate to join Stoke?

No! That''s the point I''m making. This talk of players won''t come to Norwich because of the location is nonsense. It''s all about the money. Always has been and always will be.

Though to be fair to stoke there is the big lure of Alton Towers there, young rich players love hanging out there. All we can offer is pleasure wood hills!

Having spent a decent stint in Asia and Eastern & Central Europe, I don''t recall meeting anyone who had heard of Norwich.

As has been mentioned, why should they? There''s nothing internationally famous about it.

"Having spent a decent stint in Asia and Eastern & Central Europe, I don''t recall meeting anyone who had heard of Norwich.

As has been mentioned, why should they? There''s nothing internationally famous about it."

Apart from the biggest football league in the world that is watched worldwide. And we are in our 4 season in 5 playing in this league.

No one is saying that BPL wages won''t attract players. No one is saying that Norwich is not a nice place. No one is saying that it is not a good place to live if you are settled down. So those making these counter arguments are not making valid counter arguments. I''m talking about the relative attractiveness compared to other BPL clubs and major league teams. NCFC suffers comparatively to other BPL club in terms of wages and location. Big Sam says location is a factor when competing with other clubs yet some on here think for some reason that they know better than an experienced BPL manager. Sorry but I believe someone with knowledge and experience than those with none. Further, we are asked to believe that wages are the only factor and that location is not a factor when taking a job. I be surprised if wages are truly the only factor when people take a job as why live in Norfolk when you can earn higher wage elsewhere. I don''t believe location is not a consideration for footballer when it is for everyone else.

And how many of those have an interest in going to Norwich?

"Apart from the biggest football league in the world that is watched worldwide. And we are in our 4 season in 5 playing in this league."

Beyond the big teams, there really isn''t much interest. Unless a well-known countryman happens to sign for one of the other teams.

Hell, we''re usually ''treated'' to about 5mins of highlights and last in the pecking order on MOTD; how much attention do you think we get abroad?

So if we pay the same wages, as say Sunderland, Bolton or Middlesboro, we should beat them to players every time, as those places are all sh1tholes.You''re very negative about Norwich T, why is that?

And yet other similar sized clubs with equal location ''issues'' manage to sign quality players. Or am I imagining these signings? As I said earlier in this thread there was a time when Middlesborough signed some really top international players, f ing Middlesborough!! But no big sam must be right

Boro paid astronomical wages, for that era. I''d need about £45k a week to live there, too.

[quote user="kirku"]Boro paid astronomical wages, for that era. I''d need about £45k a week to live there, too.[/quote]So, summing up, it has feck all to do with location, and its all about the money.We got there in the end.....

It''s to do with location right up until the cash comes out

Pretty much every problem in life can be sorted with enough cash

kirku wrote the following post at 03/01/2016 8:52 PM:

Boro paid astronomical wages, for that era. I''d need about £45k a week to live there, too

Yes. But this is the point that has been made throughout this thread. People like T will have you believe that we can''t compete for quality players because of our location and not being seen as a desirable place to live. When in reality if we were competitive in the salary we pay then quality players will still come irrespective of location. Big sam, Big Sam, Big sam blah blah blah!

Bolton is next door to Manchester and close to Liverpool. Sunderland is next door to Newcastle. Boro also. Stoke is no more than an hour to Manchester and Birmingham. All big cities with plenty to offer. And Norwich is next door to a load of fields, terrible roads and .........Ipswich!

Buh wrote the following post at 03/01/2016 8:54 PM:

It''s to do with location right up until the cash comes out

Pretty much every problem in life can be sorted with enough cash

Exactly

[quote user="Keith Scott"]Bolton is next door to Manchester and close to Liverpool. Sunderland is next door to Newcastle. Boro also. Stoke is no more than an hour to Manchester and Birmingham. All big cities with plenty to offer. And Norwich is next door to a load of fields, terrible roads and .........Ipswich![/quote]

Newcastle and Birmingham have plenty to offer? Care to tell us what this plenty to offer is?

Keith Scott wrote the following post at 03/01/2016 8:58 PM:

Bolton is next door to Manchester and close to Liverpool. Sunderland is next door to Newcastle. Boro also. Stoke is no more than an hour to Manchester and Birmingham. All big cities with plenty to offer. And Norwich is next door to a load of fields, terrible roads and .........Ipswich!

Oh right. So if those players are having to travel an hour for an average night out in say Newcastle or Birmingham then surely the solution is to sign for us and live in say Cambridgeshire or Essex and bingo! Hour or so to work and hour or so for a night out in London, job done

Can I also point out that this is all totally irrelevant anyway as 3 of our players live in London and share a cab in and back every day

[quote user="JF"]Can I also point out that this is all totally irrelevant anyway as 3 of our players live in London and share a cab in and back every day[/quote]
Really? Which players?

Hooper, O Neil and Grabban. Though obviously Hooper is now at Wednesday. I say London but obviously mean London area.

[quote user="JF"]Can I also point out that this is all totally irrelevant anyway as 3 of our players live in London and share a cab in and back every day[/quote]

On the third world roads? Must take forever.

On the third world roads? Must take forever.

Pay a driver between them and sit in the back of the mini van watching DVDs

[quote user="JF"]On the third world roads? Must take forever.

Pay a driver between them and sit in the back of the mini van watching DVDs[/quote]

The last 30 miles must require a transfer to donkeys or horse and cart.

"So, summing up, it has feck all to do with location, and its all about the money. We got there in the end....."

In my estimations, yeah.

Premiership stability hasn''t been discussed much, but I think it''s also quite important. Prestige, shop window etc etc. Players tend to come to clubs like ours as a stepping stone, we''re rarely the final destination. Playing regularly in the Prem is pretty key to that goal.

The last 30 miles must require a transfer to donkeys or horse and cart.

😄. Makes you laugh doesn''t it! I Went to Warner brothers studios in Watford today, took me 1hr 30 mins from Norfolk