Sign in to follow this  
can u sit down please

Ruddy hell.

I can''t see him going anywhere in this window but if he hasn''t got his place back by the end of the season then a fresh start elsewhere would be best for all. A football career is too short to sit on your arse and I would guess he is one of the top earners.

[quote user="JF"]I can''t see him going anywhere in this window but if he hasn''t got his place back by the end of the season then a fresh start elsewhere would be best for all. A football career is too short to sit on your arse and I would guess he is one of the top earners.[/quote]Michael Bailey tweeted on Monday that Ruddy is not leaving any time soon:"Won''t happen this window."Now anything can happen in football, but that fits in with the commonsense view which is: a) we would not dream of selling Ruddy to any club (ie our relegation rivals) that would be interested in buying him as an immediate starter; b) that although Rudd has apparently done well, especially as a shot-stopper, his form could dip at any moment and we would be crazy to leave ourselves without what Ruddy provides, which is an experienced and talented back-up; c) that there are already enough obvious places in the squad to be filled/improved without giving ourselves an extra problem to solve in goalkeeping.

I think there is a good chance of Ruddy leaving in Jan.

Apparently Norwich were on the search for a new GK last summer but couldn''t find anyone within their parameters. I wouldn''t be surprised if someone came in on loan this window and Ruddy was allowed to leave. Norwich could probably get double the fee for him now than they will be able to in 5 months time.

Boro and Derby are both on the hunt for a new keeper and JR has always said playing regularly is the most important thing for him. If he was to become 3rd choice at Norwich, well...

I don''t think the extra £1.5m or so is really a big concern. The fact is, unless someone like Mandanda strolls through the door, we''d be mad to sell. Ruddy will have to suck it up and play second fiddle if that''s how it is.

He''s still a valuable member of the side. Rudd could go out of form at any moment and Ruddy provides a known quality. We could spend £8m on a new keeper and it wouldn''t guarantee an improvement on Ruddy, we''d be mad to address the issue.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]I don''t think the extra £1.5m or so is really a big concern. The fact is, unless someone like Mandanda strolls through the door, we''d be mad to sell. Ruddy will have to suck it up and play second fiddle if that''s how it is.

He''s still a valuable member of the side. Rudd could go out of form at any moment and Ruddy provides a known quality. We could spend £8m on a new keeper and it wouldn''t guarantee an improvement on Ruddy, we''d be mad to address the issue.[/quote]But that £1.5m could be used to get someone experienced and half-decent in on loan to cover Rudd. If the rumours about Ruddy''s attitude are true then it''s a no-brainer to go for someone new, provided a keeper who fits the bill is available.In general in this window, I''m not minded to believe every denial or pouring of cold water on rumours of sales. There''s bound to be a bit of that put out in order to get a better price.

Who are we going to get for £1.5m that''s any better than Ruddy? Also, money doesn''t seem to be a big problem at the moment, so I don''t think our deals hinge on offloading Ruddy at least monetarily.

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Who are we going to get for £1.5m that''s any better than Ruddy? Also, money doesn''t seem to be a big problem at the moment, so I don''t think our deals hinge on offloading Ruddy at least monetarily.[/quote]I said on loan. It might be true that we''re flush with cash, but £1.5m isn''t small enough to be sniffed at.I''m not sure what a 6 month loan fee would be (probably a lot less than £1.5m), but a loan with a buy option would seem ideal if anyone suitable was available.If money''s not too tight then maybe a permanent transfer is possible, especially if we''ve been looking since the summer and have targets that are nearing the end of their contracts. In that case £1.5m could come in quite handy.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Who are we going to get for £1.5m that''s any better than Ruddy? Also, money doesn''t seem to be a big problem at the moment, so I don''t think our deals hinge on offloading Ruddy at least monetarily.[/quote]I said on loan. It might be true that we''re flush with cash, but £1.5m isn''t small enough to be sniffed at.I''m not sure what a 6 month loan fee would be (probably a lot less than £1.5m), but a loan with a buy option would seem ideal if anyone suitable was available.If money''s not too tight then maybe a permanent transfer is possible, especially if we''ve been looking since the summer and have targets that are nearing the end of their contracts. In that case £1.5m could come in quite handy.[/quote]I wouldn''t be a fan of wasting one of our 2 domestic loan allocations on a reserve ''keeper.If we sell Ruddy, which we may need to do if he is unsettled, we should be looking to replace him with a youngster who can push Kean, and perhaps eventually Rudd.It''s also worth remembering that Kean is no mug. He has Championship experience, as well as the standard loans around the place. He''s is the same age as Rudd. I don''t see any issues having him step up to number 2. He arguably has more experience than Ruddy did when he arrived from Everton.

Hmm, I just don''t see the point in letting Ruddy go unless we are replacing him with proven quality like Mandanda. We have more important matters to deal with and we can concentrate on replacing (if he even leaves) Ruddy in summer.

If there''s a deal imminent ready to sign on the dotted line however then fair enough, it may be time to let him go.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Who are we going to get for £1.5m that''s any better than Ruddy? Also, money doesn''t seem to be a big problem at the moment, so I don''t think our deals hinge on offloading Ruddy at least monetarily.[/quote]I said on loan. It might be true that we''re flush with cash, but £1.5m isn''t small enough to be sniffed at.I''m not sure what a 6 month loan fee would be (probably a lot less than £1.5m), but a loan with a buy option would seem ideal if anyone suitable was available.If money''s not too tight then maybe a permanent transfer is possible, especially if we''ve been looking since the summer and have targets that are nearing the end of their contracts. In that case £1.5m could come in quite handy.[/quote]I wouldn''t be a fan of wasting one of our 2 domestic loan allocations on a reserve ''keeper.If we sell Ruddy, which we may need to do if he is unsettled, we should be looking to replace him with a youngster who can push Kean, and perhaps eventually Rudd.It''s also worth remembering that Kean is no mug. He has Championship experience, as well as the standard loans around the place. He''s is the same age as Rudd. I don''t see any issues having him step up to number 2. He arguably has more experience than Ruddy did when he arrived from Everton.[/quote]I''d be happier if we had someone more experienced than Kean as backup, someone who''s played at the top level more often. Kean might have some relevant experience, but unlike Rudd he has yet to put in a whole season.Ruddy''s situation regarding experience was a bit different as he joined us when we were a Championship side. You make a salient point about using up loans, but it could still be worth doing depending on what happens elsewhere in the team and who might be available.

If Norwich are looking to bring in a new keeper, then it should be to go into the first team - like every transfer in January. Whether this is a player from England, Scotland or further afield it doesn''t really matter.

Ruddy hasn''t suffered a sudden drop in form, his performances have been gradually deteriorating over time. Could be related to the injury he suffered against Everton, or could be when it was clear his England ''career'' was over. It could be he played above his true level for a couple of seasons and has reverted back to his naturally ability. We don''t know, but once goalies ''lose'' it - they rarely get it back.

Personally I''d feel much more comfortable having Matthews as 3rd choice, than Kean at number 2.Matthews is 22 next month.  What other youngsters with more experience would come in and be happy being 3rd choice and what would that do to the confidence of our existing youngsters namely Matthews?

Matthews has only ever played one league game - in League 1. Sorry, I don''t agree.As for who? I''m not sure. That''s above my pay grade. But Kean was prepared to come in and be 3rd choice, who is a guy with approx 70 league appearances, many of which in the Championship. I assume there are others of a similar stature that may see it as a move in the right direction.