Sign in to follow this  
Rabbit

Panic Buying ?

We are a quarter of the way through july now, and to date its been 3 in, 3 out. I seem to remember worthy saying he wanted about 5 in, aswell as replacing anyone who leaves.

My point is, this bloody window will be shutting in a few weeks and we have a smaller squad than last season at the moment, so is this going to result in panic buying ?

Please no Tom, Doc or Harry

Remember, the window doesn''t actually shut until August 31 - that''s over 7 weeks away yet.  And the window only opened on June 1, so we''re not even halfway through yet - don''t fret.  Yes it would be preferable to have all your new players in nice and early, but IMO the merry-go-round is only just starting to hot up.  I would expect some new arrivals in the next couple of weeks.

I agree Temp, still a long way to go.

If we were buying people now, just because others were, or because we wanted them in before pre-season, I would suggest that was panic buying.

Better to wait, and research targets properly, and to take time in meeting the player to make sure they are right for our club (and that we are right for them). Also negotiations for players can take weeks, remember the Hucks saga.

Just to echo most peoples thoughts, its early days - city have made most of their recent signings after the squad gets back together, which is how most clubs do their transfer business.

City have lost 2 players they had not anticipated (Sven & Helveg, also two of our strongest players), with potentially Damo & green leaving too.  This along with the other depatures must mean we are looking for 7 new faces coming in.

What is good is that we HAVE already signed 3 solid players showing that the scouting team and management have been active so far this summer and clearly have their target players in mind.

We will see more new face - clearly we would like them sooner rather than later but I am confident new faces will arrive.

OTBC

I wouldnt worry to be honest.  There is plenty of time left before any panic buying has to take place.  I believe that 4 or 5 more are needed and so for all we know, negotiations with this sort of number of players could already be under way.

More will sign in hte next 2 weeks and we can all stop worrying

the research should be done throughout the season and especially in the last two months of the season... any manager will know which areas need strengthening... this will not effect his judgement to the end of the season... but scouts et al should have full reports for the manager at the end of the season

thus leaving the early part of the window for negotiations... as always we are slow out of the blocks... it is worrying especially when we had so many holes to fill in our squad

newcastle did it with pre-contractual agreements before the jan. window

our list is compiled we just seem to be slow

Smooth - low compared to who?

Palace - sold/released more players than they have brought in (i believe, but will probably be proved wrong)
Saints - Ditto
Ipswich - Ditto

No one in the Championship has done any better business than we have, coupled with the fact that we have not lost anyone that we are going to miss (and I include Helveg in that statement,as we didn''t have him when we went up). Established Prem teams such as Newcastle (as you highlight) have the ability to arrange pre-contract agreements, no player is going to sign one with a club who were a good bet to go down a division.

Glad to see so many experts on here with detailed knowledge of the intricacies of transfers and scouting... anyone would think that player''s agents have infiltrated these boards....

Seriously though, there''s no point in rushing things. The nucleus of the first team is pretty much set, with the possible exception of Francis and a new right back, and is a good team, so anyone else to be brought in would have to be as good or better than Hucks, Deano, Leon, et al... and how many of them are out there?! Its a long process, make no mistake...

Besides, look at other teams and how many they''ve bought - Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Boro... so far we''ve got more players in than most of those! It is still early days.....