Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Redmond?

Young Nathan has been very silent on his normally chatty Twitter for past few days.

He left a cryptic message about being appreciated & hasn''t tweeted since , bar a retweet for another player.

Bit of a worry.

[quote user="Number9"]Young Nathan has been very silent on his normally chatty Twitter for past few days.

He left a cryptic message about being appreciated & hasn''t tweeted since , bar a retweet for another player.

Bit of a worry.[/quote]I would be very disappointed if we sold Redmond BUT.......He''s a fixture with the England U21''s so his first full cap can''t be far away, English players fetch top dollar in the Premier League, PLUS the January window always commands higher prices than the summer so I feel we would get enough for an adequate replacement and with some to spare for other positions.Just as long as Alex Neil gets the final say. 

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="jaemae2"][quote user="hogesar"]In order to solve a problem, there has to be one.

As it is, he''s exactly what you''d expect from him. A young, up and coming winger with good control skill and pace but with that also comes up and down form and a lack of consistency.

The reality is some people expect too much from him. Ibe is starting for Liverpool but doesn''t seem to offer anything more than redmond does.[/quote]

HOLY S--- THE STUPID...[/quote]
Yes, you are. But don''t beat yourself up over it.
[/quote]

Hilarious, coming from you champ.

TBH, not surprising at all coming from a guy that thought/thinks Michael Turner was a good CB or remotely PL calibre.

[quote user="jaemae2"]TBH, not surprising at all coming from a guy that thought/thinks Michael Turner was a good CB or remotely PL calibre.[/quote]
Thought is correct. You know, when Bassong and Turner was our best pairing under Hughton comfortably for a period of time.
Not that it''s necessarily relevant to this discussion, but i''ll take a punt and assume you struggle to identify between different threads / topics / conversations.
Oh yeah, and Hooper is with your other half as we speak.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/01/05/report-crystal-palace-keen-on-norwichs-nathan-redmond-part-excha/

According to the Daily Mirror, Crystal Palace have an interest in Norwich City winger Nathan Redmond - but Dwight Gayle won''t be included any possible deal.

Palace have enjoyed a superb season so far, but with no consistent goalscoring striker, it was clear that the Eagles lacked the cutting edge to beat Chelsea on Sunday, especially with star winger Yannick Bolasie missing the game through injury.

Now, manager Alan Pardew could look for attacking reinforcements during this month''s transfer window, and he may have his eyes on a Premier League wide man.

The Mirror report that Palace are weighing up a move for Norwich City star Nathan Redmond, who has impressed for the Canaries this season.

Redmond, 21, has notched four goals and two assists this term, impressing down the right hand side with pace and direct running at opposition defences, so it''s not surprising that rival teams are lining up moves to sign him.

''running at opposition defences''.................hmmmmmmm isn''t that what a lot of people have been complaining he hasn''t been doing?

What I don''t get which someone maybe can explain to me is when Redmond has a poor game why do people say its ok, he''s only young and has loads of potential.

He''s nearly 23 now so not that young for a footballer and he''s been in top flight for 3 seasons so when will the potential be achieved.

For me he has the pace but there''s often no end product which is frustrating at times

Good find on the link DEB and to see what some others outside our own bubble see.

I like Redmond and think he has shown a number of improvements over the last year particularly in his finishing, final ball and his positional play. At the start of this season he looked our best player and has been a little inconsistent at times since but this can be for a number of reasons. Wingers will always have games where they don''t show as much as it seems to be the nature of the role in the team. This can be because of more reserved tactics, coming up against good full backs, teams putting two in front of them or just because we tactically target the opposite side of the oppositions defence.

Of course the player has poor games too and Redmond wasn''t at his best against Southampton. He did how ever put in two very good performances in previous games so I don''t see that he is in bad form. I do get the argument about the number of games he has played for someone of his age and do feel that as a result of this he could be further along in his development. What I have seen is that he does have games where his decision making is poor and when the he is under pressure or the atmosphere is against him he doesn''t always deal with it well.

Please bare with me here!

This got me thinking about work and how we deal with young people and the adolescent brain transitioning to an adult brain. In the last few years new research has found that actually where we once thought the brain was formed and functional much earlier, it is actually not until our early 20s that it begins to develop particular pathways that connect the frontal lobes. This is thought to be as late as 25 years old in some. These lobes are where we develop our reasoning, decision making and abilities to deal with stress and pressure. Link here for those interested.

http://edinformatics.bmobilized.com/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinformatics.com%2Fnews%2Fteenage_brains.htm&width=360

The point I am getting at here is that where he may be experienced he is still and a period in his life whereby he is developing his mental capacity. We can see he has talent and a set of physical attributes to play at the top end (no matter what Jaemae may think he was far too good for the championship) but he is still of an age where he is yet to develop the mental side, which is what will determine whether he becomes a very good player or just another quick English winger who doesn''t live up to the hype. What I have seen is player moving forward, albeit not as quick as we want him too and think we should stick with him and give him the opportunity to grow into that potential here. It doesn''t matter how many games you play at a young age you still need to allow time for the natural mental development that just can''t be rushed.

Clearly the development of ego takes place independently of these pathways between the frontal lobes! (Not referring to NR by the way, just a general observation [:D] [;)].)

is there a problem? a player whose form waxes and wanes week to week? thats hardly unique in our squad and no surprise for a player more two years younger than any other we own. If he wasnt inconsistent he would have moved on.

He is talented & we simply dont have many better - just not as good as our expectations ; He now thinks and retains possession rather than his head long sprints that went nowhere to often before - no point crossing to an empty box; lesson well coached and learned.

Its quite astonishing that in spite so many off games only wes has more assists, brady created 1 more chance, only wes been involved in more goals and not one player has scored more.

If only we had more players with such limited end product.

[quote user="cityangel"]What I don''t get which someone maybe can explain to me is when Redmond has a poor game why do people say its ok, he''s only young and has loads of potential.

He''s nearly 23 now so not that young for a footballer and he''s been in top flight for 3 seasons so when will the potential be achieved.

For me he has the pace but there''s often no end product which is frustrating at times[/quote]^^^This.

Redmond frustrates the hell out of me but as i posted previously we would miss him if he was sold also it has to be said he is no more inconsistent than Howson,Bassong,Martin etc etc

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Good find on the link DEB and to see what some others outside our own bubble see.

I like Redmond and think he has shown a number of improvements over the last year particularly in his finishing, final ball and his positional play. At the start of this season he looked our best player and has been a little inconsistent at times since but this can be for a number of reasons. Wingers will always have games where they don''t show as much as it seems to be the nature of the role in the team. This can be because of more reserved tactics, coming up against good full backs, teams putting two in front of them or just because we tactically target the opposite side of the oppositions defence.

Of course the player has poor games too and Redmond wasn''t at his best against Southampton. He did how ever put in two very good performances in previous games so I don''t see that he is in bad form. I do get the argument about the number of games he has played for someone of his age and do feel that as a result of this he could be further along in his development. What I have seen is that he does have games where his decision making is poor and when the he is under pressure or the atmosphere is against him he doesn''t always deal with it well.

Please bare with me here!

This got me thinking about work and how we deal with young people and the adolescent brain transitioning to an adult brain. In the last few years new research has found that actually where we once thought the brain was formed and functional much earlier, it is actually not until our early 20s that it begins to develop particular pathways that connect the frontal lobes. This is thought to be as late as 25 years old in some. These lobes are where we develop our reasoning, decision making and abilities to deal with stress and pressure. Link here for those interested.

http://edinformatics.bmobilized.com/?ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2F&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.edinformatics.com%2Fnews%2Fteenage_brains.htm&width=360

The point I am getting at here is that where he may be experienced he is still and a period in his life whereby he is developing his mental capacity. We can see he has talent and a set of physical attributes to play at the top end (no matter what Jaemae may think he was far too good for the championship) but he is still of an age where he is yet to develop the mental side, which is what will determine whether he becomes a very good player or just another quick English winger who doesn''t live up to the hype. What I have seen is player moving forward, albeit not as quick as we want him too and think we should stick with him and give him the opportunity to grow into that potential here. It doesn''t matter how many games you play at a young age you still need to allow time for the natural mental development that just can''t be rushed.[/quote]

You misunderstood. He''d be a star in the Champ. a role player on a mid-table PL team, and a mediocrity in a bottom end starting PL team. I''m not saying he can''t play in the PL, he''s just not going to be very good in a PL team. You can and will find plenty better, to act like even a team like NCFC can''t, is kind of hilarious.

Point being, if a team wants to pony up something like 6-7 mill for him based on potential he is barely showing signs of meeting, then it''s not the end of the world and we should probably hightail it to the bank before you can barely get 2 mill. which is the way he is trending.

Jaemae I didn''t notice the / and thought you said bottom end Championship player. Apologies.

I agree that currently he is a bottom end premier league player but I believe he has the potential to go a lot higher and that will come with his improved decision making. At that point I think he can go far. Where as we may be able to find someone who is marginally better/ more consistent now it is far more difficult to sign someone with the potential to be as good as he could turn out. I would rather take the risk on his potential and maybe we end up with a player that leaves for big money and performs at a higher level for us than anyone we could sign who is just marginally better in the short term. Ideally we end January with both though!

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Jaemae I didn''t notice the / and thought you said bottom end Championship player. Apologies.

I agree that currently he is a bottom end premier league player but I believe he has the potential to go a lot higher and that will come with his improved decision making. At that point I think he can go far. Where as we may be able to find someone who is marginally better/ more consistent now it is far more difficult to sign someone with the potential to be as good as he could turn out. I would rather take the risk on his potential and maybe we end up with a player that leaves for big money and performs at a higher level for us than anyone we could sign who is just marginally better in the short term. Ideally we end January with both though![/quote]

Agree with all of that. Honestly, I''d like Redmond to stay. I''m not a huge fan, but I do actually enjoy. He brings something different, which is useful and I can live with him contributing 1-2 above average-good games every 6-8.

I''d really like keeping him for the rest of the season, if we stay up and there''s interest in the summer then I''d be all for taking some $. If it happens this winter, I don''t think it hurts our chances of surviving either. What I don''t want is a Matty Phillips situation (GOD I HATE MATTY PHILLIPS. QPR were idiotic to put a 8 mill tag on his head this summer/last winter.)

(also yes, that confusion as to the level is understandable, initially I had thought I put PL there...)

Didn''t realise 21 years old is now a player''s prime..

Seriously people expect so much of Redmond its ridiculous. He''s our up and coming player, our biggest prospect by some margin, yet every time he gets the ball all I can hear in the stands are people grumbling and on his back- ''COME ON NOW REDMOND'' ''RUN REDMOND'' ''RUN!!'' and I''m talking when he''s just dribbling with the ball here, not actually doing wrong!! The general tone from us fans towards him has been so poor recently, and people on here question why he''s not so positive any more- of course he''s not going to be positive when he gets berated for every wrong move!

He''s fast becoming the new scapegoat it seems. But then again it''s hardly surprising, now Ruddy has been dropped, and Martin moved to RB, people need a new fix...

And granted he was poor on Saturday, one of his poorest performances in recent months, but that''s part and parcel of a young winger developing. He put in a MOM performance against Man Utd what like 3 weeks ago? Seriously people need to get off his back during games because its not helping the lad''s confidence whatsoever.

He is a flair player and one of very few players in our team capable of something special or completely dominating a game on a good day. Much like Hoolahan, who still has poor games at 33 BTW. Redmond''s poor games are going to happen and will continue to do so. It''s not a problem it''s just how it is.

People seem to accept Hoolahan having off days, why not Redmond? He certainly justifies having them better than Hoolahan with a 12 year age gap..

I fully accept that he is a frustrating player, we all know of what he is capable of at his best. But the truth is, if he could consistently play at the level we all know he can, he wouldn''t still even be here!! Simple!

People need to see the bigger picture and realise this. If we got rid of him there is no way we would replace him with a better prospect.

I should note that I don''t disagree with some of the constructive criticism on this thread, my main gripe here is with people on match days!

Also Jaemae. But he''s clearly just a c**t.

Interesting that the article also mentions City are monitoring Wolfsburg CB Timm Klose.  Thats the 1st mention of Klose being linked to us outside City related forums, but maybe the article writer just  grabbed his name from the general Klose banter in the Pink un forum.

I just voted NO on the poll attached to the article, 56â„… disagree with me. But its a pretty even result so far.

Also, regarding this story, it does make me wonder if journos trawl forums like this, and read threads like this, and try and build a story.To my knowledge, other than the guesswork here, Nathan has never actually said he isn''t happy here, or wants to leave.

He''s one of England''s better prospects at the moment, when compared to similar English transfers its hardly a large sum.

Where would we be without his goals and assists this season? Would we even be in the prem right now if it wasn''t for his performances in the play offs?

I just don''t see the point in selling him for £15m when..

A) He''s been a key contributor for us this season and will most definitely have played a big part in us staying up, should we do so

B) He''s still developing and will undoubtedly be a much better player (and worth even more) in a couple more years- note how much improved his stats are this time round in the prem compared to last

C) We won''t be able to replace him with better

Obviously he may not want to stay and with his contract having only 18 months left, it could be a good time to sell. But should he want to stay I really don''t see the sense in this and other posters'' views.

I''m confident we''d all be casting jealous eyes over at Palace watching his continuing development and fruition into a strong premier league player.

I wouldn''t be too disappointed if he goes for £15m.

Don''t get me wrong, I''d rather keep him, but his value will crash next Jan when (unless i''m mistaken) he is nearly out of contract.

Obviously we can''t comment on what the exact current contract situation is, but we can assume there has been some talks. If he can''t commit to a new deal by the end of the season we should perhaps be looking to move him on while his stock is still high.

Do you think AN may have rubbished him up a bit over the last few weeks to put off any potential buyers? Told him to slow play down a bit and stop taking on defenders kind of thing?

[quote user="dickleburgh"]Do you think AN may have rubbished him up a bit over the last few weeks to put off any potential buyers? Told him to slow play down a bit and stop taking on defenders kind of thing?[/quote]

With respect, that is in the top 10 outbreaks of "stupid" I have ever seen on this message board.