Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

How Do You Solve a Problem Like Redmond?

Obviously has a lot of talent, or at least has potential talent, but he was totally useless again today.Far too casual & complacent & doesn''t seem to concentrate on what he''s doing. Far too many simple passes going astray & he has become reluctant to go on a run and take on the full backs.Plays a half decent game in every five but most of the time he''s totally ineffective.Getting into the England squad for the Euro''s looks like wishful thinkingNeeds to buck his ideas up or face a long spell on the bench.Maybe a kick up the backside from AN is required.Or perhaps we should get rid while other Managers still think he''s the real deal.

All players, particularly young ones, take a dip in form from time to time. That''s all it is.

So much is expected of him in a team of few stars, every time he gets the ball some fans expect him to do something special.

Would probably benefit from a break but not the sort of player I would want to see leave.

The only real problem with Redmond is that he has no competition.

I''d say 1 good game in 5 is harsh. He played badly today, no ifs ands or buts about it. But right now he''s almost guarenteed a start every game. we have no other real right wingers now. We have Brady who is playing too well as a LB to convert him to an inverted winger, and we need Jarvis out on the left when he''s finally back fit.

It''s not something I''ve seen many say we need this January, but cover for Redmond is necessary. Competition for a position is vital in this league.

In order to solve a problem, there has to be one.

As it is, he''s exactly what you''d expect from him. A young, up and coming winger with good control skill and pace but with that also comes up and down form and a lack of consistency.

The reality is some people expect too much from him. Ibe is starting for Liverpool but doesn''t seem to offer anything more than redmond does.

I wonder if he''s getting commands from the manager and he''s getting mixed up.

There were times he got the ball today and loitered, messed around with it and sometimes made an awful pass. I can''t believe his natural reaction would be to do this.

He''s incredibly fast, incredibly tricky and he''s messing about with it. I just don''t buy it

I think he''s being reigned in.

Still a player of great ability and I won''t be joining the "legs slag off Redmond" express, cheers.

Redmond is pretty much what you''d expect from a talented young attacker. Good at going past players and getting himself into good positions, not particularly consistent with the final decision (sometimes great, often poor) and suspect defensively.

It''s things that improve over time as a player matures and develops.

Is he really incredibly fast & incredibly tricky though? To be honest, I just can''t remember anymore. If he is, PL defenders have ''found him out'' & are somehow negating those attributes.

I wonder if it''s more confidence related - like Kane playing with two left feet when he was with us - although I think everyone now realises his top speed (as opposed to acceleration) is nothing special.

Had to be at least 1 scape goat as we only won 1 - 0. We won and still some posters feel it necessary to have a go at Redmond, Martin, Olsson ( who only came on as sub ) and Lafferty for not being selected again. Do people really expect bigger name players to come here when we subject our players to constant criticism ?

Redmond is definitely fast and definitely tricky

How often does he beat his man? (Once he stops messing about with it) if say pretty often, and often gets the cross in.

I just wonder if what he''s expected to do is getting in the way of his natural instincts.

Redmond isn''t as fast as people think. He''s very quick in short bursts that allow him to get past players in 1-on-1 situations but isn''t that fast once he reaches top speed. I think Brady is actually faster over long distances.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]He needs to have a chat with Hucks[/quote]

Huckerby was 27 and in the prime of his career. Redmond is 21. It''s not a fair comparison

"I said a while ago he was slow"

"I''ve always said he''s slow"

"I WAS THE FIRST TO SAY HOW SLOW HE IS!"

[quote user="Buh"]"I said a while ago he was slow"

"I''ve always said he''s slow"

"I WAS THE FIRST TO SAY HOW SLOW HE IS!"[/quote]
Not a criticism of Redmond. I actually think his quick bursts are more effective in the modern game than someone who is faster over longer distances. It just annoys me when Redmond picks up the ball and people expect him to just put his head down and run in a straight line with it. That has never been Redmond''s game.

Lol, wasn''t a comment at you sir. Was just a demonstration of escalation. Seen it a hundred times with a hundred different players. Always the same.

Huckerby was 27 and in the prime of his career. Redmond is 21. It''s not a fair comparison

It wasn''t a comparison Phillip, but a suggestion that he could actually learn something about how to make the best use of his talent from Hucks.

Nothing to do with scapegoats as you don''t need a scapegoat when we''ve won. Just pointing out a few facts and surely, even after a win there is still room for improvement in certain areas.Interesting that he got took off immediately after his umpteenth, and worst, wayward pass of the afternoon.Obviously AN had seen enough too. And yes, Martin was poor as well.

Wasn''t it last week everyone was saying this about Raheem Stirling?

He is still learning& we don''t know what instructions AN had given him today.

[quote user="hogesar"]In order to solve a problem, there has to be one.

As it is, he''s exactly what you''d expect from him. A young, up and coming winger with good control skill and pace but with that also comes up and down form and a lack of consistency.

The reality is some people expect too much from him. Ibe is starting for Liverpool but doesn''t seem to offer anything more than redmond does.[/quote]^^^ That.

Certainly has stopped taking on his man as he used to do in the Championship. Could be on AN orders, but doubt that. He is up against quicker defenders in the Prem, but for me, Redmond seems to have stagnated somewhat in his development.

Also seems to leave a lot to be desired in his decision making.

he should watch ruel fox video

huckerby was more a striker who played on the wing a all rounder in fact when he was on the wing he would hold on to it and try and beat a man again instead of a early cross

not knocking him as he is one of the best players I have seen in yellow & green but if you were a striker making a run it must have been hard to judge when he would cross or take the defender on again

ruel fox who used to beat his man with pace then cross keeping it nice and simple more like Redmond than hucks

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]Can you tell all this by sniffing him?[/quote]

Are you stupid, or just pretending? Got no time for "jokers" like you. Go back to farting in the couch with Mrs Jenkins.

I read on here a while back that a poster wondered if Redmond would "realise his potential"

Redmond is 21 years old. Currently an Under 21 International, Emerged as a first team player at Birmingham , debut at 16, the clubs second-youngest player ever at the age of 16 years and 173 days. Has represented England at all levels up to under21 and has played in the European under 21 Championship finals. 

Last year he was pivotal in getting us up, with exceptional performances in the Play Offs Semi''s and the final.

He now commands a regular first team position in the Premier League, anyone doubting his ability (or his pace) just sit yourself down with a re run of the win at Old Trafford. Old Trafford, ladies and gentleman, not the crappy grounds we all played on.

I''d say that, to date, Redmond is realising his potential by some margin. Pick a 16 year old at Colney now and guarantee he will be achieving what Redmond is in  5 years time.  Any pro club would take your hand off.

Is Redmond as good as Messi? No. But some of the drivel on here about the lad and his ability, influence and most importantly market value is absurd. Redmond is "stagnating" ? Seriously?

Be careful what you wish for . NR is being watched by several clubs, if he goes we will be weaker for it. Just ask any of his managers up until now.

I can''t say why Redders frustrates, but he does, he is so capable as proven to be able to take on and run at players, but for us he stops and cuts back far too much.

Brady and Jarvis attack the flanks so much more....lmaybe with time and development he will bring that into his game for us.

My concern is that it''s been said he only has 18 months left here on his contract and hasn''t agreed any extension with us, so it might be that we cash in?

Simples.......

Get rid in this transfer window and bring in Adama Traore from Villa. He''s not even 20 years old yet, yet he has the maturity, the speed and the ball skill, as well as the insight for a good pass that Redmond will never have.

We can''t keep waiting for Redmond to ''mature''. His erroneous pass rate is far too high; he slows the game down all too often; he never wants to take a through ball down the wing; and his tackling and heading are frankly non-existent.

Traore impressed enormously in his cameo performance at Carrow Road last week, and if you think that was untypical of him, watch him on MOTD tonight.

He won''t want to be in a Championship team next season. Get him now........and Pritchard (ex Brentford loanee) from Spurs too, while we''re at it. He''s the natural like-for-like successor to Wes in the next 12 months.

NR is two months off 22, he has played well in excess of 200 games (if you include his England matches), so he has had plenty of experience and imo can no longer be called a youngster, although I agree he is still learning, but so is every player no matter what their age.

He is quick off the mark (first 5 yards) but not that quick over 20 yards or so, which is why he stops and starts so often and why we very rarely play the ball into space for him, he is not quick enough over distance to capitalise on the pass.

There were a couple of times today (and I have seen it before) when AN had words from the touchline and seemed very frustrated with him, culminating today with his substitution.

For me he is just not realising the potential many, including me, thought he had, I hope he does in the future but with young Jacob I believe we have a player who can offer as much, if not more, and certainly has greater pace.

So, if a big money offer comes in, circa £10m I would be sorely tempted.