Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Lamine Koné

Couldn''t agree personal terms so Sunderland deal is off, doubt very much we would offer better though

Kone''s move to Sunderland is off according to various reports due to his wage demands.....that would rule him out of coming here you''d have thought but technically he''s back on the market, so you never know.

Maybe it''s the relegation fear though. There could be clauses and bonuses based on survival which would be much more achievable here as the league stands.

Maybe Mr. Kone would not like Citys relegation clauses, maybe City are not even interested in him, we only had  a few media gossips and rumours, dont know anything about this guys credentials as a CB.

Quotes from player in French press today:

"I can''t say that I won''t move over to England in this window. The demands I made and the demands Sunderland made differed. The deal is closed for the moment, but I don''t know if they''ll come back in for me or not. For now, I am under contract until 2017. Nothing has been signed with Sunderland. Officially I am still Lorient. I''ll get back into training. If I have to play, I''ll play. There are still three weeks of the transfer window, everything is possible if there are clubs that are still pursuing me. Why not? Now there was a first deal not made with Sunderland. This is football. These are things that are growing. It''s like that. It''s not just Sunderland. There are other clubs. There are some proposals. But they are not official."

More interestingly his agent has also apparently chimed in with some new information:

"We had two similar offers. A Sunderland and the other Norwich. But we opted for Sunderland because it was the most interested club and most in need of a defender. But once there, it went wrong. Sunderland has offered 6.5 million euros to Lorient and a contract of 4 and a half years to Lamine. The player started part of the medical examination. But there has been a disagreement in the contract clauses. The transfer window is still long. Lamine Kone still has time to realize his dream."

Dont get the part where it says Sunderland were in more need of a defender..but ah well. If we are talking CBs only then  they have more CBs than City, but seem to prefer older age or injury prone CBs..for example Kirchoff.

I took: 
"But we opted for Sunderland because it was the most interested club and most in need of a defender."
to mean that they offered more, so appeared to be most in need.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Dont get the part where it says Sunderland were in more need of a defender..but ah well. If we are talking CBs only thenĀ  they have more CBs than City, but seem to prefer older age or injury prone CBs..for example Kirchoff.[/quote]

Probably something to do with the fact that they have conceded more goals than anyone else.