Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Implications of the Pinto signing

We now have four right backs. We have Martin who seems to be regarded as the likely back-up for Pinto. What future is there for Whittaker and Wisdome? The former hasn''t played much this season, and is out of contract in the summer, I think. We have Wisdom for the season on an expensive loan contract.

We may not learn much on Saturday, if AN chooses to go with one of his strongest teams, and assuming that Pinto may not be available anyhow because of "paperwork".

I think that most of us would regard Wisdom, Martin and Whittaker as barely Premiership quality, and in the case of the last two lacking pace.

It would be good to get one or more off the payroll or out of the 25 declared squad. In 25 players you can''t carry four for one position in eleven. I look forward with interest to see what happens.

I assume Russ drops to the bench as cover for both CB & RB, Pinto starts with Wisdom as cover and Whittaker departs.

Sounds good to me especially if we pick up a quality CB this month - we''ll have a good first choice defence with good cover and competition for places across the back four

Don''t think anything will change with the starting back 4 next Wednesday but I''d imagine the idea is to get pinto first choice rb and Martin and wisdom between then cover rb and CB. Whittaker looks out of the picture now though.

[quote user="CDMullins"]Werent there some talk of Wisdom returning to Liverpool early?[/quote]

Not seen any. Wouldn''t surprise me but I think he''s been useful.

Wisdom started out at centre half so he could provide much needed cover there too, although hopefully there''ll be someone else coming in this window. Personally I wouldn''t sign him and if Liverpool''s woes continue he could even be recalled.

Not sure we see Wisdom as a CB; I think (for all his martin-esque I am a CB proclamations) all his competitive appearances for us have been at right back.

Perhaps we can reach that mutual agreement to return him if we do get a further cb

There was quite a long interview with Andre in one of the recent matchday programmes, and I think he said something along the lines of although he played CB at youth level, 98% of his appearances as a professional have been at RB so that''s how he perceives himself. Emergency CB cover only, in other words.

Until we see Pinto and what he can offer I wouldn''t write off Russell Martin just yet. He has seen off plenty of challengers to his role since he has been here and am sure he will still play plenty of games. I also think Alex Neil likes players who are more versatile so keeping Wisdom until the end of the season makes sense as he can provide cover for two positions. He also looks good defensively at right back so is a good option to have either coming in to shut up shop or for those games where we curb the attacking instincts of the team slightly.

With Whitaker being in the last 6 month''s of his contract I can see him moving on as he hasn''t been getting game time for a while now. Either moved on this window or a loan ready to be released at the end if this season.

It does suggest Whittaker and Wisdom''s days are numbered.

My concern is whether Martin ends up as our back up centre back and we don''t go out and find someone for that position - N''Koulou, Koulibaly, Kone.

If we sign a new CB Russell martin will not get a look in and as captain that means a player ?? is going to have to take the armband who ??

of course you can still have RM as captain but its best to have your captain as a player on the pitch !

[quote user="norfolkngood"]If we sign a new CB Russell martin will not get a look in and as captain that means a player ?? is going to have to take the armband who ??

of course you can still have RM as captain but its best to have your captain as a player on the pitch ![/quote]

I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, Howson has been captain at every club/level he''s been at. Also he plays most games for AN.

Russ is a fantastic servant of the club and captain to, we are lucky to have him, considering he can play RB and CB to.Im sure he will still be buzzing around the main squad as football is fickle and he can be needed at anytime. I really dont know about Andre Wisdom and Steven Whittaker, but thats Alexs headache not ours. Who knows, maybe we will buck the trend of recent years and go on a long cup run, in which case these players could be needed more than we think at present.But for once in a long time, its feels  strange us talking about a glut of players at the club covering a defensive position, considering our shortage at CB in past year or two.

Tettey/O''Neil captain in the short term, if Pinto replaces Martin.

If he continues the way he is then I would put forward Ryan Bennett as a longer-term captain. Believe he did the job at Grimsby & Peterborough at a young age - so must be a fairly decent leader.

I still think Martin will feature regularly for a while yet as things stand, either in a three, at right back or cover at CB. Talk of a new captain is premature methinks.

[quote user="Number9"]......

I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, Howson has been captain at every club/level he''s been at. Also he plays most games for AN.[/quote]I''m surprised to hear that.Every time Howson''s interviewed he seems awkward, shy almost, in front of the media. I''ve always felt that to be a captain you need to be a  ''personality'' as well as a good player.

I agree with your perception of Howson, but some players are shy off the pitch and much more forthright on it.  Actually I wonder if it could help Howson step up his game - I think he has the ability to contribute more than he does.  You remember the way he waltzed through the Man City defence to score, and I just wonder why he doesn''t do that sort of thing more often.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]I agree with your perception of Howson, but some players are shy off the pitch and much more forthright on it.  Actually I wonder if it could help Howson step up his game - I think he has the ability to contribute more than he does.  You remember the way he waltzed through the Man City defence to score, and I just wonder why he doesn''t do that sort of thing more often.[/quote]Ah but don''t forget Man City were on the beach[;)]

Whittaker is easily the best RB we have going forward. Defensively he''s a complete liability. With his contract running out soon and his lack of game time, he''s a goner.

I know one of howsons old teachers who seemed to suggest he has a real professional attitude to everything without really being that loud. The captain doesn''t always have to be the most alpha male in the room. Howson can lead by example in many ways as he showed at Leeds.

He does seem more vocal on the pitch then off it too.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Its Character Forming"]I agree with your perception of Howson, but some players are shy off the pitch and much more forthright on it.  Actually I wonder if it could help Howson step up his game - I think he has the ability to contribute more than he does.  You remember the way he waltzed through the Man City defence to score, and I just wonder why he doesn''t do that sort of thing more often.[/quote]

Ah but don''t forget Man City were on the beach[;)]
[/quote]

Yeah, even harder to do that sort of run on sand....

Given how little is known about Pinto, especially his ability to perform at Prem level, I think talk of Martin stepping down is way premature. Unless Pinto''s wages are top of the band, it could be him who warms the bench. Whittaker looks the obvious casualty.

That said, I''ve always thought Howson looks potential captain material, though he has his critics and I wouldn''t say recent absences from starting lineups have been a problem for us.

That''s a good point. It can take a little while for players to acclimatize to the Premier League and English football. But his pedigree suggests he will cope just fine. We will see.As for what it means for our three other right backs, I expect Whittaker to see out the remainder of his contract on loan somewhere. He''s in the twilight of his career so surely will want to play football, rather than sitting at home enjoying his full head of hair.

Number9 wrote the following post at 08/01/2016 12:28 PM: I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, Howson has been captain at every club/level he''s been at. Also he plays most games for AN.

He only played for Leeds prior to joining us?

His first season as official captain of Leeds was the same season that he signed for us in January. A season in which he was injured in October and he never played for Leeds again.

Personally I feel Howson ticks the "model pro" box, but he lacks most other key attributes that I would expect from a captain.

Russel Martin is our club captain. If Martin isn''t playing the captaincy should be decided on a game to game basis.

Hughtons idea of naming a ''club captain'' and a ''first team captain'' was probably the worst decision he made at NCFC!

[quote user="STAN"]Number9 wrote the following post at 08/01/2016 12:28 PM: I''ve said it before and I''ll say it again, Howson has been captain at every club/level he''s been at. Also he plays most games for AN.

He only played for Leeds prior to joining us?

His first season as official captain of Leeds was the same season that he signed for us in January. A season in which he was injured in October and he never played for Leeds again.

Personally I feel Howson ticks the "model pro" box, but he lacks most other key attributes that I would expect from a captain.

Russel Martin is our club captain. If Martin isn''t playing the captaincy should be decided on a game to game basis.

Hughtons idea of naming a ''club captain'' and a ''first team captain'' was probably the worst decision he made at NCFC![/quote]

Worst decision? Really? I''ll have to get back to you on that one.