Sign in to follow this  
Robert Barnes

Outdone

So is this what''s going to happen again we make bids for players (Ranocchia)only to be beat out by teams above us Liverpool because of who they are. will this also happen with Naismith or any other potentially high profile player we go after if that''s the case we don''t stand a chance signing anyone do we

We will sign players this January! We will sign players who WANT to come to us. It''s quite clear that Ranoochia thinks he can do better than little old Norwich and along with his agent is using the limelight to muster a move to a higher profile club.

If he or any other player does not want to come then we as a club do not want them and are better off without them. We need players who want to be here and who will fight for the cause.

Alex Neil is no fool and I imagine as soon as a player starts to delay on signing then he will move on to the next target. He knows that there are many quality players who WILL want to sign for the mighty Norwich City.

Raddichio or whatever salad leaf we were supposedly after. We were being used.

A rough guess is that his agent/club wanted to get his name out in the market place.

I don''t think we were in for him, but the player Sunderland have just signed Jan Kirchoff, would have been a player, I imagine, we would have been targeting.

We really shouldn''t be targeting players like Kirchhoff - he''s suffered injury after injury and his form has failed to live up to it''s early promise - there''s a reason he''s cheap....

Soton fans I know think Van Dijk has been a brilliant signing and one of their best players.

Gotta love football fans - can''t agree on much

Especially when they support the same team ;-)

So has pinto joining stopped you wetting your pants yet OP?

Give it a couple of days Tetteys Jig and the groans will continue. Whether it''s because we haven''t signed a striker or centre back yet or even if both have signed we''ll hear about our net spend not being good enough because X spent so much and we are just doing it on the cheap. Some just like a moan no matter what the reality of the situation is.

With Jarvis and now Pinto in, the window has got off to a decent start.

For me this window will stand or fall on whether or not we get in a decent CB.  If nothing else happens but we sign a good CB, I''ll be happy.  If we don''t, then even if we bring in some signings up front, I''ll still be worried.

As it stands, we''re in the same position at CB as we were with goalkeepers back in 94/95 when we had no decent backup to Gunn and when he got injured, we ended up relegated.

Chuckle. When I first saw the name Jan Kirchhoff in this thread I thought it must be one of those comedy names like Juan Kerr or Drew Peacock. I was trying to see the joke for quite a while before I twigged it was a real player!!

[quote user="Dead Canary"]Give it a couple of days Tetteys Jig and the groans will continue. Whether it''s because we haven''t signed a striker or centre back yet or even if both have signed we''ll hear about our net spend not being good enough because X spent so much and we are just doing it on the cheap. Some just like a moan no matter what the reality of the situation is.[/quote]
Aye; and in truth we won''t know what the ''reality of the situation'' actually is until the end of the season when we see how we have actually fared compared to the other teams in this division. There is far more to a successful football team (whatever the respective definition of success is) than the ''name'' of the players they have signed, the teams they have played for before, and how much moolah was splurged on them. Getting the ''right'' ones is far more important than getting the big/expensive/stats are great on Championship Manager ones. We don''t have any ''marquee'' signings (whatever the feck that means) in our present squad but are currently doing alright compared to several sides who have had how many transfer windows of Premier League income in which to ''strengthen'' their squads!!?

Indeed Chip nothing has been decided yet and we should enjoy the ride. I''m one of the few that was happy with the summer business. I like the model we have whereby we are trying to find good value in our signings and players that fit the club''s ethos. It all feels like a good long term plan is being executed and we have picked up players who other clubs in the premier don''t see the value in or younger players with the potential to step up and improve. I think this has been a factor in creating the loyalty within the squad as we are giving chances to people who others are not. When we went down we did very well to keep the squad together, guys like Redmond, Ruddy and Johnson all could have pushed for moves with bigger clubs interested. When Johnson did go we made a big profit too and will probably do the same on the others at some point.

I do think we make marquee signings every season. It''s just what some expect/ hope us to do is different to what we can really achieve. The last 4 seasons or so have had signings at values I only dreamed of when we struggled in the championship with big signings costing £500k or a million if we felt flush. This year we had Brady (second biggest outlay ever), last year Lafferty and Vadis who it was reported were £4-5m each Grabban another £3.5m. Season before RIcky, Redmond and Leroy Fer for about the £15m area. We have spent in a pretty big way and I would even guess that the players named would constitute most of our 10 most expensive players ever.

The problem comes that lots now sees success as spending lots of money, when you have clubs spending £15m+ on a player it''s then seen as the only way to build your squad and keep up. The money is out of control and this cycle of taking on debt to grow in hope of being part of the next big TV deal is going to ruin a lot of clubs eventually and some it already has. There needs to come a time when clubs say no more and stop all the extra money going to agents and wages. A few clubs are doing this already and not gambling with their futures but working under more sustainable models. Hopefully lots of teams like us, Watford, Leicester and Palace will continue to do well as this will begin to counteract the argument that you need to make expensive signings to stay in the premier or push up and become mid table. I can''t see it changing any time soon but am happy that Norwich are one of the few bucking the trend to spend your way to success and investing in developing youth and buying players at good prices and ages where they have potential to improve with us.