Sign in to follow this  
Daz Sparks

Video technology trials.

Trials look set to take place from the beginning of next season, with the 4 areas, considered "game changers",  to be subject to video assistance.Which are: goals scored, penalties, red cards and mistaken identity.With a few different methods of implementation to be sampled: including the on field ref to have full control, the video ref to be able to make a call and the ref to be able to look at replays at the side of the pitch. No trials allowing for managers or coaches are being undertaken.Personally I think that as long as the game isn''t slowed down unduly, and it is most definitely kept away from anyone other than the officials, it could be very good for the game. On balance, I reckon we would possibly up a goal and a couple of penalties this season?

"On balance, I reckon we would possibly up a goal and a couple of penalties this season?"

I was just thinking something along these kind of lines. Maybe the introduction of a video ref who isn''t subject to the kind of pressure that the on-field officials are (crowd, managers etc etc) might be a bit of a leveller.

There are always, to my mind at least, a couple of incidents a season (us v Arsenal in 2013, Chelsea v West Brom also in 2013 spring to mind as examples) where a decision or two affects a big team to the detriment of the smaller side.

With a video ref - safely locked away in a TV truck or up on a gantry - surely these kind of decisions will become harder to justify.

Why not just adopt the cricket or tennis style of review - give each manager the opportunity to have say 2 decisions reviewed per game - any decision they fancy.

Manager''s would use any reviews they had left over to waste time at the end of the game - or even as a defensive tool.

Imagine a team counter after a corner and are clean through and the opposing manager then calls a review for a ''foul'' in the box which he says should have given his team a penalty. Do you let the move continue, one team to score and then go back and review the foul? Which might mean a penalty should have been given and you then have to disallow the goal - it would be chaos.

[quote user="Splendid Rush"]Very interesting.

Any idea where the trails are taking place Daz? Premier League? Lower leagues?

Sounds like a good idea to me.[/quote]If it is agreed when the International Football Association Board meet in March could be as early as next season as I understand.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Manager''s would use any reviews they had left over to waste time at the end of the game - or even as a defensive tool.

Imagine a team counter after a corner and are clean through and the opposing manager then calls a review for a ''foul'' in the box which he says should have given his team a penalty. Do you let the move continue, one team to score and then go back and review the foul? Which might mean a penalty should have been given and you then have to disallow the goal - it would be chaos.[/quote]Manager reviews are not being trialled at all Bethnal.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Trials look set to take place from the beginning of next season, with the 4 areas, considered "game changers",  to be subject to video assistance.Which are: goals scored, penalties, red cards and mistaken identity.With a few different methods of implementation to be sampled: including the on field ref to have full control, the video ref to be able to make a call and the ref to be able to look at replays at the side of the pitch. No trials allowing for managers or coaches are being undertaken.Personally I think that as long as the game isn''t slowed down unduly, and it is most definitely kept away from anyone other than the officials, it could be very good for the game. On balance, I reckon we would possibly up a goal and a couple of penalties this season?

[/quote]Football is not cricket, and may not follow the same pattern. But when video reviews were being advocated for cricket it was stressed by its supporters that of course they would only ever be for "line" decisions - ie run-outs and stumpings. But once the principle had been established then the inescapabale logic was every kind of decision should be referable and/or challengeable, and that is now what happens.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I know, I was replying to the comment above which said managers should be given reviews.[/quote]Sorry Bethnal, didn''t see that. And yes, totally agree that any manager reviews would cause problems. What has been proposed so far seems pretty sensible, and so long as whatever is finally implemented doesn''t either slow the game down or cause more controversy than it was designed to rule out, I think it is pretty positive.

Not a fan of the idea personally. Football is too fast paced for video refs..

Surely if we implement video refs then we need to introduce clock stoppages as well?

Leave the beautiful game alone I say.

Ok they need to try something else first which is this.

Each team is allowed three "appeals" which they can use at any time during the match. Only then is video evidence examined.

This minimises stoppages and will prevent the most obvious mistakes from standing.

In addition I''d like to see a post match video review panel that identifies divers and awards post match bans. That''ll stop the cheating gits!

Far too sensible they''ll never do this!

[quote user="STAN"]Not a fan of the idea personally. Football is too fast paced for video refs..

Surely if we implement video refs then we need to introduce clock stoppages as well?

Leave the beautiful game alone I say.[/quote]
I agree to an extent. The games where video replays are successful are largely those that have constant ''natural'' stoppages in play. NFL, Tennis, Cricket etc. Basketball is the only other fast paced game I can think of where they use replays, but often they only use it when having already called a foul, to determine what type of foul it is (common, flagrant 1/2, clear path etc and to determine whether a basket was a 2 or a 3 after it is made).
I would love to see video reffing introduced but I don''t really see how it practically can be, even the MLS in the USA where video decisions are commonly used in a few of the major sports haven''t put it into "soccer" to the best of my knowledge.
I can see it being easily introduced to look at goals and red cards/mistaken identity because the game is stopped, it''s easily done. But what about when someone goes down in the box, is the ref going to stop play to review it with a loose ball in the 6 yard box, possibly preventing a goal scoring opportunity himself? What happens then if it wasn''t a penalty? If he isn''t stopping it immediately, is he going to wait until the ball goes out of play? If so, what if the next time the ball goes out is a goal up the other end because the team who have conceded the pen have hoofed it long and scored on the break? The only logical thing I can think of is that he has to blow up every time the player goes down which means that diving has to be stamped out the game (no bad thing, but not easy)..... Be interesting to see if this works or not. The other alternative is to have a video ref for every game who can make penalty decisions but that''s going to need to be carefully implemented as they will have to be quick off the mark to be able to make split second decisions and not disrupt the game.

I think with technology nowadays, people just aren''t willing to accept mistakes the way they used to, but I agree the essence of football is that it flows, without the constant stoppages of inferior games like cricket, NFL, tennis, baseball etc.

So I''d be in favour of it in the cases mentioned where the game has to stop anyway.  Otherwise it shouldn''t be allowed.

Its all supposition around what the possible impact would be - most of which is around change resistance rather than any evidence that it would be a negative influence.

I don''t see team appeals being of any benefit; but a video ref scanning other views impossible for the ref seems an appropriate support to the pitch ref who should retain primacy. Certainly some boundaries to sort but with both the the dutch and american leagues are willing to trial it why not give it a go for a season and see what it really means? Its time be bold and embrace it.

as for disrupting the game isnt the stat that the ball in only in play for something like 60% of a game anyway - so thats c35-40 dead minutes a game - a couple of extra minutes for the couple of debatable issues a game is barely worth worrying about.

FA cup next season I believe.

About time this happened, I''d like to see the ref stop the clock for injuries as well. Make the whole process more open.

I can see why some think it would be an issue to have reviews but in the penalty not given/goal at the other end example, if a manager calls a review then the ball remains in play with the review outcome pending. In the very unlikely event a goal is scored at the other end before the review is completed, then it''s simply disallowed and the penalty given. I doubt this will happen more than once per season per division though so not really an issue.

Probably never going to happen as officialdom seems to like cr@p refereeing...

Supposedly pending approval but if approved could be tried in next year''s FA cup. I think the collective response to this from most people is pretty much "about time". Pretty much every sport apart from football has managed to adopt technology with huge success with tennis, cricket and more appropriately rugby using video replay to some extent. It takes less than 30 seconds to review a video replay which is no longer than a ref consulting his linesman.

Imo It should be limited to serious incidents such as red cards and penalty incidents with the possibility of using tennis style challengers where in addition to the ref being able to use video replays when unsure on a decision each team can also appeal a serious decision in a circumstance where video replays have not been consulted by the ref limited to 2 or 3 times per game.

I''m not sure about this. The TMO referrals during the Rugby World Cup were a right pain and you just know pro footballers will milk this for all its worth and challenge everything. Would add to the drama I suppose and presumably we''d also need to instal a giant screen for spectators, otherwise we won''t know what the hell is going on. Not great if you need to catch a train or bus shortly after the scheduled final whistle either.

I would think it will be difficult in the FA cup as teams from the lower leagues would need the video camera positions set up, unless it will be selective games only.