Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

A draw today worse than a defeat

As mentioned on amother thread, a draw today and a replay would be more of a worry to me than a defeat. I don''t think we want a long trip for a midweek replay in Manchester with little commercial benefit and the risk of injuries to key players.

Would rather we lost today than drew, though obviously I want us to win first and foremost.

Fair? Or is my journey to the miserable side complete?

I firmly believe that a draw is worst result, closely followed by a win.

Ideally we lose today with no injuries to our first choice team.

No apologies, we need fully fit & focused club on the League.

[quote user="Darth Bor"]As mentioned on amother thread, a draw today and a replay would be more of a worry to me than a defeat. I don''t think we want a long trip for a midweek replay in Manchester with little commercial benefit and the risk of injuries to key players.

Would rather we lost today than drew, though obviously I want us to win first and foremost.

Fair? Or is my journey to the miserable side complete?[/quote]

I get the feeling that you''ve always been completely miserable, but for me there are too many long gaps between matches with international breaks and so forth - and we have a good large squad.   If we can''t manage the occasional extra midweek games that cup runs bring, the team shouldn''t bother turning up today.  A draw today, whilst frustrating, would give the squad another chance to play against quality opposition at a big stadium - and the commercial benefit of that isn''t as insignificant as you suggest.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Darth Bor"]As mentioned on amother thread, a draw today and a replay would be more of a worry to me than a defeat. I don''t think we want a long trip for a midweek replay in Manchester with little commercial benefit and the risk of injuries to key players.

Fair? Or is my journey to the miserable side complete?[/quote]

I get the feeling that you''ve always been completely miserable, but for me there are too many long gaps between matches with international breaks and so forth - and we have a good large squad.   If we can''t manage the occasional extra midweek games that cup runs bring, the team shouldn''t bother turning up today.  A draw today, whilst frustrating, would give the squad another chance to play against quality opposition at a big stadium - and the commercial benefit of that isn''t as insignificant as you suggest.  [/quote]And you could get yet another free ticket you plastic

''And you could get yet another free ticket you plastic''

What a pointlessly provocative post.

Why not think long and hard before you write?

The last thing we want to do today is win. A win could necessitate another long journey to another far away club. That petrol money could be used to boost the transfer kitty.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]The last thing we want to do today is win. A win could necessitate another long journey to another far away club. That petrol money could be used to boost the transfer kitty.[/quote]
Hmmm.
I did say as preference:
1) Win
2) Lose
3) Draw

An FA Cup haiku:I agree with Bor.In order of preference;Win, then lose, then draw.

[quote user="HampsteadCanary"]But what happens if Lafferty plays and scores a hatrick?[/quote]Then Bor will drink a pint of his own urine.

No one in the right mind would prefer to lose than draw a football match, regardless of competition or league status. Especially against a top world class side. The very notion is insane.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]No one in the right mind would prefer to lose than draw a football match, regardless of competition or league status. Especially against a top world class side. The very notion is insane.[/quote]Wouldn''t a draw be more of a hindrance than a win? An extra game that we don''t need.

A draw is far worse for Citeh - they are still in league/euro cups and could definitely do without any extras.

I can see what those suggesting it is better if we lose are saying, but don''t forget there''s blank weekends for cup games up to and including round 5 (though I believe they are followed by midweek games). Imo it is better to win, get/keep a run going, let the fringe players find some form in case they are needed in the PL run-in.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]No one in the right mind would prefer to lose than draw a football match, regardless of competition or league status. Especially against a top world class side. The very notion is insane.[/quote]On the contrary. The notion is based on pretty rational logic. This club''s success is principally contingent upon its remaining in the Premier League, both financially and in footballing terms. An extra away game against a top-class side, in a midweek sandwiched between two vital and eminently winnable top-flight matches, will add to the fatigue of our players and increase the risk of injuries and suspensions. Couple this with the fact that our chances of actually reaching our first ever FA Cup final are extremely slim, and I''d suggest that a draw is significantly worse than a defeat for us today.

Win and win well......I wouldn''t mind a decent cup-run and I still have a passion for the FA Cup regardless of what others may think......Don''t bother turning up if you don''t want to see a NCFC win......But, I guarantee that if we by some flicker of fortune reach Wembley.......Well, I don''t have to state the obvious.......Do I......?

[quote user="Darth Bor"]Oh, don''t get me wrong - I''d probably go to the final if we got there.
[/quote]

That''s the Spirit!

So are you saying a draw today could relegate us?

Maybe you should change your name to Wizbor, or Borzard, or... well you get the idea.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]So are you saying a draw today could relegate us?[/quote]
Obviously not to anyone who can read.
I am saying that if we win today great, if we lose today oh well, if we draw today then it''s a game with little reward and some risk.