Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

5 at the back

Does anyone think this pinto signing could give us a better chance at playing 5 at the back given our left backs strengths and tendencies to get forward?

One thing I''ve noticed is that when Olsson out Brady push on, it''s often bassong who covers the left with tettey closing the space in the middle.

For me, Martin, Bennett, bassong seems ready made to be the 3 CBS given Bennett''s strength in the air and Martin and bassong being comfortable defending in wide areas.

Worth a go in more challenging games?

[quote user="Tetteys Jig"]Does anyone think this pinto signing could give us a better chance at playing 5 at the back given our left backs strengths and tendencies to get forward?

One thing I''ve noticed is that when Olsson out Brady push on, it''s often bassong who covers the left with tettey closing the space in the middle.

For me, Martin, Bennett, bassong seems ready made to be the 3 CBS given Bennett''s strength in the air and Martin and bassong being comfortable defending in wide areas.

Worth a go in more challenging games?[/quote]Worked very well at the Etihad, and that was with Brady playing RWB on his wrong foot (IIRC?). Definitely think this is worth considering, especially as you would expect us to add another accomplished CB to the mix before January is out.

I''m not so sure it would be used other than once or twice at places like Man city. We seem to have struck a good balance at the moment with four at the back and two screening midfielders. Unless we get figured out we should stick with what is currently working for us.

A reasonable shout as a plan B, particularly away from home.

Something along the lines of this would be interesting to see:

-----------------Rudd------------------

---Martin----Bennett----Bassong---

Pinto---------Tettey------------Brady

----------Howson---Vadis------------

--------------Naismith----------------

--------------Mbokani----------------

Looks good JM!

Especially with game changers like Redmond, Jerome, Wes and dorrans on the bench with wisdom and Olsson more than capable understudies for the defence.

All to easy for Man City. 3 at the back like that isn''t the answer.

Could someone please explain to me why Martin was in the centre of the back 3? Surely he''d have been better on the right side with Bennett in the centre?

I just hope and pray that today wasn''t all about an attempt to keep Martin in the team at all costs now that his place at right back is under threat from Pinto.

Sign pinto to challenge Whittaker for right back. Frees up Martin and wisdom to challenge bennett and Bassong and centre half. What''s the worst that could happen 😉

PS I really hope we sign a new centre half.

For me it did not work at all. We never remotely got a grip in midfield and Man City hardly broke in to a sweat to totally dominate the match. Of course they do have very talented players but our tactics were getting us nowhere. I believe that when they scored their second we had six players defending in the penalty area but were still unable to close down the scorer.